Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Dual motor questions. - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 04-22-2021, 08:00 PM
Minnow

Default Dual motor questions.

I have a 25 hp 4 stroke Suzuki. And a 30 hp E-Tec mounted side by side on my boat.

Can I have these motors hooked up to the same battery and gas tank at the same time?

Suzuki is a 2018 motor . Fuel injected. And can easily be pull started . Even when no battery hooked up.
E-tec is a 2015 two stroke. Also fuel injected.
I use this set up on the Minnesota Canadian boarder lake. 25hp limit on Minnesota side and unlimited hp on Canada side. I also like it on some of the large lakes while on vacation.
Trip would not be ruined by motor issues.

These motors are on a 16.5 ft. Alumicraft escape with side steering counsel. My goal is to reduce weight and clutter in the back if the boat.

Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2021, 04:34 AM
Wallhanger

I would think so. I run my Opti and a Suzuki kicker from the same Battery. The also run from a T in the fuel line. I do run a shut off on the Suzuki fuel line so if the check valve in the bulb leaks the Opti will not lean out pulling a bit of air from the Suzuki. That may not be necessary but just for safety.
Have a great day.
Jim
Old 04-23-2021, 06:47 AM
Minnow

Will there be any issues with gas flow or overcharging the battery if both motors are running at the same time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2021, 06:49 AM
Keeper

That’s a whole lot of weight on the transom...
Old 04-23-2021, 06:51 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timf1981 View Post
I have a 25 hp 4 stroke Suzuki. And a 30 hp E-Tec mounted side by side on my boat.

Can I have these motors hooked up to the same battery and gas tank at the same time?

Suzuki is a 2018 motor . Fuel injected. And can easily be pull started . Even when no battery hooked up.
E-tec is a 2015 two stroke. Also fuel injected.
I use this set up on the Minnesota Canadian boarder lake. 25hp limit on Minnesota side and unlimited hp on Canada side. I also like it on some of the large lakes while on vacation.
Trip would not be ruined by motor issues.

These motors are on a 16.5 ft. Alumicraft escape with side steering counsel. My goal is to reduce weight and clutter in the back if the boat.

Thanks...
I would just delete one of the motors......the E-tec. Cant be that big of a difference in overall performance between the two. I've seen alot of twin outboards, but usually there 300 mercs.
Old 04-23-2021, 09:44 AM
Wallhanger

I agree with what others have posted. Just take the etec off. With the weight of two 25 to 30 hp motors. You are not really gaining anything performance wise. If you want a emergency backup outboard. Just pick up one of the single cylinder 6 hp motors. The manual tilt single cylinder motors do not weigh much. Would not be fast getting back in an emergency. But way better setup then two bigger motors on a 16 foot boat. Some of the built in fuel tanks do have two fuel barbs already. For hooking up a main and kicker motor. You can hook up both motors to the one battery. Or just use a separate portable fuel tank for the small 6 hp.
Old 04-23-2021, 10:05 AM
Wallhanger

Just looked up your boat. Looks like it just has one big portable tank. If you have two different brand engines. Just keep two fuel hoses in the boat. Plug in whichever one you want to use. You might have to cut off the fuel hose connecter on one of them. Add the tank connection plug that match’s your portable tank. Sometimes the portable tank may have a Brand specific plug on it.
Old 04-24-2021, 09:28 AM
Wallhanger

Alumacraft rates the 16.5 Escape transom for 50 hp.
You may want to check your rating plate on the boat.
Old 04-24-2021, 10:12 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy View Post
Alumacraft rates the 16.5 Escape transom for 50 hp.
You may want to check your rating plate on the boat.
I'd be more worried about weight rather than being over by 5hp. I believe he olny runs one at a time....lol.
Old 04-25-2021, 08:59 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallychowder View Post
I'd be more worried about weight rather than being over by 5hp. I believe he olny runs one at a time....lol.

With two not so small motors, Game Wardens and the Coast Guard personnel would certainly notice of the over-limit.

I see them quite often on the river where I live. The Coast Guard more often than GW's.