Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
2 x4 - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 08-29-2019, 07:24 PM
Wallhanger

WTF are you talking about Bobby? Merc came out with the Optimax in like 1999 and finally retired it in 2019, only a 20 year run! The Verado hit the streets in what, 2005 and is still being used for they’re flagship offerings for the 350 and 400 class, oh that’s right, etec has nothing in that hp class so it mustn’t exist 🙄! So those are getting close to 15 years. Hmmmm, 15-20 years on the same platform doesn’t exactly seem like they “keep changing” their motors. In reality, Merc figured out the public isn’t looking for 2 strokes any longer, retired that platform and came out with a new V-6 and V-8 4 stroke that covers all the bases improving on the original Verado line including the a 450, go figure.

Can’t say I noticed a single etec while fishing key west last year but our 45 ft sea hunter had new trip 300 vrods. Of course as a charter, they did retire and trade in the last set at 3000 hours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2019, 07:29 PM
Wallhanger

Evinride can do what ever they want but until they give up and move into the 4 stroke world, they’ll continue to be a 4th rate outboard manufacture behind Merc, Yamaha, and Suzuki. The masses have spoke and it isn’t for 2 stroke technology. Honestly, the only place 2 strokes are still surviving is in the sled world and even there, the boys that want big hp run turbo’d 4 strokes.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:07 AM
Minnow

SLE-Since the Opti Mercury is on its 3rd engine design on the 4-strokes in what they call the walleye motor class. 1st was a partnership with Yamaha. 2nd they designed the 1.7L. 3rd the newer lighter 2.1L.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:15 AM
Wallhanger

Arguing 4 stroke vs 2 stroke is foolish. It's like the Ford vs Chevy or alum vs fiberglass debates. Everybody has their own preference and nobody is going to change their mind. You run what you want to run and i'll run what I wanna run, that is until your check for a new motor for me clears the bank. Then i'll run what you want me to run.

Bottom line, it's nobodies cash except your own. Run what you like even if it is pink.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:09 AM
guest2340

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Minnesota guy View Post
Arguing 4 stroke vs 2 stroke is foolish. It's like the Ford vs Chevy or alum vs fiberglass debates. Everybody has their own preference and nobody is going to change their mind. You run what you want to run and i'll run what I wanna run, that is until your check for a new motor for me clears the bank. Then i'll run what you want me to run.

Bottom line, it's nobodies cash except your own. Run what you like even if it is pink.
WOW!!! The most sensible post I've ever read from you.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:16 AM
Keeper

The next boat I buy (down the road a number of yrs) will have a 2 stroke for the main and a 4 stroke for the kicker. I’ve ran mains in 4 and 2 stroke, there is no comparison. 2 strokes are more responsive in every category. I will take a 2 stroke dfi over a 4 stroke efi any day. However I am curious about Yamaha’s new 4 stroke dfi, just need to make an inland boat big enough to handle it
Old 08-30-2019, 09:10 PM
Minnow

I have a 2009 175 etec mainly because I got a great deal on the boat. If I had my choice I would probably get a 4 stroke. However the etec has been flawless. There is never any smoke, maybe a slight smell once in a great while. One turn of the key and it starts everytime. It's not the old 2 stroke.