Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Kicker Motors/Warranty ? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boat Insurance (Sponsored Forums) > Let's Discuss Your Boat Insurance

Old 11-20-2015, 07:50 PM
Minnow

Default Kicker Motors/Warranty ?

I bought a new boat in 2014 with 60hp and a 8hp 4 stroke Mercury in March.
I took it out on the lake in May with the 8hp [10 hp limit] for the first time and couldn't get it to start had to use trolling motor all day.Got it home and tried to get it started. It started but it ran rough so I let it run for a while and it got better.So I took it back out to the lake and ran it for about an hour and it still ran like crap.I took it off the boat for the rest of the season because I started fishing for crappie.Took the new boat in to get the both engines winterize.When I picked the boat up from the dealer they told me that the carburetor on the 8hp needed to be rebuilt because there was still gas left in the carburetor when I took it off the boat.No problem I thought till they told me it wasn't under warranty.They also told me that I needed to run the engine with no gas hooked up to it until it dies out after every time I use it.

Just wondering if Anybody have this problem before ?

Last edited by burgersb; 11-20-2015 at 07:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2015, 06:59 AM
Minnow

"When I picked the boat up from the dealer they told me that the carburetor on the 8hp needed to be rebuilt because there was still gas left in the carburetor when I took it off the boat.No problem I thought till they told me it wasn't under warranty.They also told me that I needed to run the engine with no gas hooked up to it until it dies out after every time I use it."

I had sort of the same problem with my 2011, 9hp Merc big foot kicker. I had a hard time starting it every time I would try to use it. Finally took it back to the dealer - he told me basically the same thing your dealer told you. He had to rebuild the carburetor he said Merc put in too small of jets and could not get fuel/air properly. However he rebuilt at no charge to me. He also said to run Seafoam or Quick Clean in every tank full of gas and run the gas out of the kicker after each fishing trip.

I am doing what he suggested and have had no problems with the kicker.

Walt E.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

My 9.9 didn't run very well when I got it and I couldn't figure out why. I changed the plugs and it changed the motor completely.

Replace them every year no matter what, they are NYK plugs that are about 3-4 a piece, so for $8 you are set.

I never run it out of gas and haven't had an issue since the plugs problem. I think because it is cold blooded and needs some choke to get going it fowls the plugs faster. However this is easy to do as you just pull the fuel line and let it die.

I do let the gas run out of my snowblower which is from the 80s and is a beast.
Minn Kota Terrova #112
225 Optimax & 9.9 Mercs
Trollmaster Pro
Mo Dog running rack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2015, 09:13 PM
Wallhanger

Default kicker motor

I have a 9.9 on my pro v and had to have it serviced three or four times in the first six years. Mechanic told me to run rec gas. Haven't had a problem since. The only time I drain the kicker is in the fall when I put it away
Old 12-30-2015, 07:47 AM
Minnow

duckbutter,
What type of gas did they recommend ? Was that regular gas ?
Old 04-12-2018, 08:44 AM
Keeper

When I use my 6hp evinrude I always disconnect the fuel line and let it run out as I am going to get the truck/trailer. It's usually done by the time I get backed into the water.

jbird68
Morrison, IL

jbird68
Morrison, IL
Old 04-12-2018, 08:50 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird68 View Post
When I use my 6hp evinrude I always disconnect the fuel line and let it run out as I am going to get the truck/trailer. It's usually done by the time I get backed into the water.

jbird68
Morrison, IL
I do the same as Jbird - always run it dry unless using it the next day, it has always ran like a top since I have had it
Old 04-12-2018, 09:02 AM
Keeper

I would do this with my main motor but it does not have a disconnect on the fuel line. I always put seafoam in it when I fill up the tank.

jbird68
Morrison, IL

jbird68
Morrison, IL
Old 04-09-2020, 07:23 AM
Minnow

I have a 2018 8 HP Mercury kicker that has always been hard to start. I have to run the electric starter for ~30 seconds to get it to fire up. I've tried disconnecting the fuel line, replaced the spark plugs, no ethanol gas, etc. and not much difference in getting it started. I was ready to swap it for a Suzuke 9.9 EFI.

Then I met a Mercury mechanic at the spring boat show. I talked with him about this issue. He told me that this motor had an accelerator pump on the carburetor. His advise was to prime the fuel bulb and then twist the throttle 3-4 times quickly to have the accelerator pump squirt raw gas into the throat of the carburetor, then hit the starter button. I tried this procedure two days ago when I took my boat out of winter storage. It worked, and quickly! The motor was running in 5 seconds after coming out of 4 months of storage. I tried this procedure 2 more times and it worked again. Using the accelerator pump first, with full choke is my new starting procedure.

This method isn't mentioned in the owners manual, unfortunately. I hope this might help others with the lean carburetors in starting their motors.
Old 07-17-2020, 10:34 PM
Minnow

the golden role is to always run it dry unless using it the next day, you can see here more info about it.