Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lake of the Woods Reccommendations - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 01-23-2020, 11:31 AM
Keeper

Default Lake of the Woods Reccommendations

I'm about 4 hours from LOTW, but have only fished it once. I was invited on a charter by a vendor through work and we fished out of Anderson's Resort on the Minnesota side.

I believe it was a 28' foot boat with an inboard diesel..I was astounded at the size of the waves we were in while we made the ride across the lake to wherever it was that we fished. The guide said they were averaging 4- 6' that day...and even in that big boat we took a pretty good pounding.

So I have a Lund Mr Pike 17 with 100 Yamaha. I am somewhat safe in fairly rough water but I'm not looking to get too crazy or risk it too much as far as big water is concerned.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a place on the Minnesota side of LOTW where there are options to still fish if the wind is blowing? I loved the lake but I don't want to risk using up vacation time/money to go there if I'm stuck in the cabin because it's too windy to fish.

Any recommendations appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2020, 01:51 PM
Keeper

We always stay at a couple different resorts on the Rainy River and get on the lake by way of Light House Gap. The SE side is usually rougher when the wind is out of the NW. I have an Lund 1875 Pro V and last year we fished the lake on 6 different trips and I think maybe only 2 days did we not venture out on the lake. Those days the Charters didn't even try it. There is a deeper whole by the first red buoy between Wigwam Resort and the Gap that we fish if the lake is rough (easy to find - a lot of boats will be there). We have had great luck there but make sure you have 3/4 to 1 OZ jigs as the current is very strong there. You can also go up river, the outlet by the White Church on the MN side is good - caught my 52" Sturgeon in that spot. If it is a little rough and you want to venture out - south of the Gap by the big Pine Tree (Tall Pine) in about 20 - 25' of water usually produces if your not up to going out deeper.

I guess we fish the lake a lot and have had great luck on both calm and windy days. PM me if you would like more hints. Cant give away all of our secrets here.....LOL

Good luck.
Dan
Humminbird Solix 12 on Dash and Solix 10 at Bow
MinnKota Ulterra Quest W/Mega SI/DI and I-Pilot Link
Old 01-24-2020, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

Smile NW Angle

I have and would again find my way to the NW Angle. Yes you have to go through Canada at Warroad, MN but you will be in Minnesota when you put in. There are a number of good camps up there. Flag Island is one, but there are more. Will work fine unless you or one of your com padres have one of those pesky OWI's the Canadians don't care for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2020, 12:45 PM
Keeper

Thanks for the info guys.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:02 PM
Wallhanger

Morson Ontario is just an hour further. It is by far less crowded and has superb fishing for walleye pike and crappie. Musky is also available. You will not be windbound unless there is a hurricane. Red Wing Resort or Obobakon Resort are two resorts I'd recommend.