Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Elite 5 ice pack ?? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Ice Fishing - Mainly a winter sport > Ice Fishing

Old 12-15-2011, 08:18 AM
Minnow

Default Elite 5 ice pack ??

i was looking at buying a elite 5 so i can have a new graph in my boat and a new ice rig also. lake card capabilty and gps would be sweet. My vexilar FL-8 finally kicked the bucket after 10 years. Question i have is..... does the elite 5 have a flasher setting? the lowrance website doesn't say that it does. Does anyone have any experience with these? Pros vs. Cons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2011, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

If you go here....

http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Mar...e-5/Downloads/

You can download a copy of the manual.
I did, and on page 23 it shows a split screen with a flasher and regular sonar display (see below).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	elite5.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	12689  
Old 12-15-2011, 04:20 PM
Keeper

I just bought the sonar pack for the elite 5 (mostly for my son). I think it will be ok. Overall, I am not a big fan of the Elite 5 in the boat, different connectors from the rest of my Lowrance units etc and I have bent the prongs in it twice. It is very different than my HDS units or my old 510/520 units.

As far as the Vexilar, have you contacted them??? They will fix almost anything at a very reasonable price. I really don't think I would go without a flasher.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2011, 08:59 AM
Wallhanger

Gary,
Depending on where you are, I'm with sddan, either return it to Vexilar or contact Fishlectronics in Blaine, MN area. They repair lots of electronic devices at reasonable prices.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

I've used the Elite 5 and HDS units extensively for the past few years. Honestly, once you know how to tweak them a bit, you'll get rid of flashers forever. You may want to check out some of our videos and screen shots on our forums. Also feel free to cut and paste here on Walleye Central.
Gary Parsons
Old 12-22-2011, 06:24 AM
Keeper

I used the Elite 5 for the past 3 days on the ice. Being a hardcore flasher user for 15 years it is going to take some getting used to. I think it will end up being a back up unit and I will continue with my vexilar....Also it doesn't have a bottom zoom feature, so if you are used to that you will be disappointed. The colors will also take some getting used to after being familiar with the green, orange red of the vexilar.

The positives are having the GPS unit with the mapping chip and considering I already had the unit it was fairly inexpensive to buy just transducer pack.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sddan2 View Post
I used the Elite 5 for the past 3 days on the ice. Being a hardcore flasher user for 15 years it is going to take some getting used to. I think it will end up being a back up unit and I will continue with my vexilar....Also it doesn't have a bottom zoom feature, so if you are used to that you will be disappointed. The colors will also take some getting used to after being familiar with the green, orange red of the vexilar.

The positives are having the GPS unit with the mapping chip and considering I already had the unit it was fairly inexpensive to buy just transducer pack.
You say that it does not have a bottom zoom. Can't you set the depth range from bottom to whatever feet up from bottom ?
Old 12-23-2011, 06:03 AM
Keeper

I am not sure on the bottom adjustment. It is probably just me being so used to the flasher and I need to give it some more time. I also like the quick access to the gain button on my FL 18 as compared to the menu approach on the Elite 5. I was running the Elite 5 in flasher mode and not in graph mode. After watching some of the videos on the Next Bite page I may play with that. I didn't notice any interference between the Vexilar and the Lowrance which was nice.

Tags
elite 5 , graph , lowrance