Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Booking a Canadian fishing trip?? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 05-20-2020, 02:41 PM
Wallhanger

This would be a good place to start after deciding what you want sunsetcountry.com

Later, Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2020, 03:00 PM
Wallhanger

The criteria laid out by others has been very good. When I do a search I do it in this order.

1. Type of accommodation.
2. Species
3. Price
4. Distance

That narrows my search fastest. Criteria 1 is a simple keyword search. Criteria 2 is usually obviously promoted or they haven't got what I want. Criteria 3 is my budget and that's that. There's a range but there aren't two more digits at the top than at the bottom. Criteria 4 is a wide range so I leave it for last.

I have a folder in my 'favorites' with a bunch of lodges I've seen recommended here and found on my own. Handy when I'm looking.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:16 PM
Wallhanger

Make your first trip with an experienced friend.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:31 PM
Wallhanger

Default Follow-Up

Greetings,

There have been many excellent suggestions on this thread!

I had a few thoughts come to mind that I though were worth mentioning. One is to consider bodies of water that have the species, populations and size structure of the fish that you want to target. For example, you might not want to target small mouth bass in a lake known for lake trout. Some lakes are better know for eater walleyes rather than 30+ inch walleyes. Young angelrs often do better on "action" lakes rather than a lake known for fewer but larger fish.

Another thought is the size of the body of water (lake versus river system). Some anglers have no issues with traveling for an hour or more to get to the places they want to fish. Other anglers may want to be able to see their lodge while on the lake.

Another thought is level of services provided by the lodge. Do you want someone to assist you at the dock in terms of launching your boat or when you return to the dock? Do you want to clean your own fish or have someone do this for you? Will you need an electrical outlet at the dock to recharge your trolling motor batteries? Will you bring your own live bait or do you want to purchase it at the dock?

Yet another thought is to understand what is included in the cost of the trip versus being "extras" that are paid out-of-pocket? For example, does your Housekeeping Plan cabin include linens/towels and such? is there an allotment of gasoline for your boat or is the tank refilled each night?

The original poster might want to know what type of equipment is provided in the cost of the vacation. Is the rental boat a fourteen foot boat with no backrests and a 10 hp outboard or is it 18 foot with a 50 hp motor with electric start? Is the boat you want to use considered to be an upgrade?

I encourage the original poster to consider the time of the season that best fits his/her style of fishing. Each time period in the open water season has advantages and disadvantages. It's often best for first-timers to choose the time of the season that best matches the angler's temperament and ability.

Beware of recommendations from friends along the line of "go to xxxxxx lodge as the fishing is great and they really know how to take care of guests". That lodge might be a great fit for your friend, but a terrible fit for you.

Use the many great suggestions already posted on this thread to develop a list of potential fishing lodges to investigate. Go to one of the shows this upcoming winter and meet the people behind the websites on the internet.

It's really easy to return to fish in Canada if you pick a great lodge/lake on your first trip!!

Good fishing and tight lines!!
Old 05-21-2020, 08:43 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Eagle View Post
Make your first trip with an experienced friend.
Golden Eagle's suggestion is ideal; if you cant go with someone with experience maybe you know someone that has been and can go over it all with you. That is how we started going in 1999.

Main thing is these trips are easy to organize. American plan might be better to start with than a flyout. But if you are up for the flyout go for it.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:25 PM
Minnow

Some great replys and info. Another thing is the outfitter should know the experience of the people they are outfitting. Fishers with little experience should be brought to a lake that requires little fishing knowledge Such as, first timers, should be taken to a lodge or fly in with shallow water, little structure, easier for first timers to fish. A person fishing a deeper water lake full of structure, reefs, humps etc, should have more knowledge experience.
I guided on many lakes, we had younger families with younger children takin to lakes with 6-8-10 feet of water, so easy, a simple cast, close the Bail and troll, or drop the line hit bottom, and jig , easy. But take a 7 year old to a 30 foot reef , fishing up and down structure etc, it's a nightmare. In the end, younger kids get bored quickly, a sand beach, a bay with northern a, an eagles nest, etc add to the experience. And letting a child drive the boat, taking his her picture makes the trip.showing them how to clean fish, not giving them the knife, letting them wash the fillets, getting them to build the fire for shore lunch. Letting them be part of the trip.
And let them look at the fish finder, to the spot that they marked the waypoint, to take dad there the next day. Priceless,
Old 05-23-2020, 04:03 PM
Wallhanger

1) what kind of fish do you want to catch
2) how big of water are you comfortable with
3) how big of a group (everyone you ask will say yes, the real answer comes when they have to put NON-refundable $$$$ down to reserve a spot, this is when the wives say no) Start with 4-6 to start.
4) do you want to make your own meals or have it done for you
5) do you want to fly in someplace, or drive to your cabin
6) how much does your group want to spend
7) are you bringing your own boats or using camp boats (good camp boats can make or break a trip)
8) How far do you want to drive from home

That list will get you started. If you want to go this year....good Luck with that, in a normal year I would say you are too late to even start, but this yr....maybe! You are in an OK position for next yr, but if you can find an open week at an acceptable place....BOOK IT. Waiting to talk to somebody at a winter show later this yr, you are TOO LATE.

Everyone who runs a nice camp has a website, let your fingers do the walking, then get back to us!

Tags
canada fishing , canada fly in fishing , fishing , fly in fishing trip