Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Humminbird thru hull transducer question - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 03-26-2016, 03:03 PM
Slot Fish

The speed sensor is for a whole different depth finder for my downrigger. It's not in the way everything works fine. That depth finder is new and the 2D has not changed.

Had a shoot thru in my last boat and now my new one plus the thru hull and the traditional side image.

2D will be grainy at high speed installed both ways either shoot thru or thru hull but the depth will read good.

Trust me I've experienced it on 2 different boats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2016, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ranger View Post
The speed sensor is for a whole different depth finder for my downrigger. It's not in the way everything works fine. That depth finder is new and the 2D has not changed.

Had a shoot thru in my last boat and now my new one plus the thru hull and the traditional side image.

2D will be grainy at high speed installed both ways either shoot thru or thru hull but the depth will read good.

Trust me I've experienced it on 2 different boats.

So you're not using the standard HDSI anymore, only the thru hull for SI?
Old 03-26-2016, 06:22 PM
Slot Fish

I had my numbers mixed the thru hull is just the XTH 9 20 P Sorry so it only reads 2D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2016, 04:04 PM
Slot Fish

You'd likely get better results with an Airmar tilted element through hull transducer. This is a true through hull, ie: core a hole in the bottom of the hull for the transducer to slide into. I've had this setup on several walleye boats and the performance at speed is amazing. With a Chirp unit you could upgrade to an optimized Chirp transducer with multiple elements, but be prepared to spend as much on your transducer as you did for the Helix when going with a Chirp transducer. Standard Airmar tilted element is about $400 if I remember correctly.

Tags
humminbird , transducer