Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Any tips for an aspiring fisher (With almost zero knowledge about fishing)? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 03-28-2018, 03:49 AM
Minnow

Default Any tips for an aspiring fisher (With almost zero knowledge about fishing)?

So first of all, Hi Guys, new member here and I want to quickly introduce myself. So my friends call me 'Jeck', 24 yrs old, living here in the Philippines, and I want to try fishing as an hobby in my spare time (1-2 times a month) but I got almost zero knowledge on how to do it or even where to start. And even my little knowledge about fishing came from watching Youtube videos and playing this game called 'Big Fish King' which I got really addicted BTW.

Reason why I want to try fishing:
Well I just want to experience it and try how heavy it is to pull the line (Not sure if that's the right term for it) when a fish got hooked. Also I want a relaxing hobby even once in a while. I tried golf but it's not really my forte.

Current Status and Questions:
I'm living here in the Philippines and Water Source for Fishing isn't a problem just want to know what's more beginner friendly; lake, river, or sea? Also I want to have some advise on what equipment to use and preparations to do before going in to fish.

Finally, Thank you in advance for those have read this and hope to learn more from this forum site!

Last edited by Juls; 03-28-2018 at 04:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2018, 04:24 AM
Wallhanger

I think I'd start at a local fishing shop. They can give you good recommendations about where to start fishing locally and what tackle to use.
Good move taking up fishing.
2007 Triton 220 LTS, 225 E-Tec -- sold
2013 Lund 1800 Tyee, 150 Merc 4S -- sold
2015 Lund 2000 Alaskan SS, Mercury 4S 115 CT -- sold
2018 Ranger RP190, 115 Yamaha VMax SHO -- sold

Boatless
Old 03-28-2018, 10:06 AM
Wallhanger

get out while yoy still can. fishing is addictive and there's no known cure. the money whirlpool never ends. you always need more lures and to upgrade tackle. just kidding about not doing it.

do like jfaisten said. check out local bait shops and ask what you should target. go to the water and watch other fishermen and ask questions. are you fishing salt or fresh water?? different fish different tactics. shrimp is great for saltwater just about anywhere. good luck and just have fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2018, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

The quickest way to learn a great deal is to hire a guide for a month and go fishing with him for 10 hours a day for the month.

You will have a detailed knowledge on how to fill the boat with fish. It will cost you a couple of $$, but you will have a much greater knowledge of fishing and excellent techniques.

Good luck
Old 03-28-2018, 12:40 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
The quickest way to learn a great deal is to hire a guide for a month and go fishing with him for 10 hours a day for the month.

You will have a detailed knowledge on how to fill the boat with fish. It will cost you a couple of $$, but you will have a much greater knowledge of fishing and excellent techniques.

Good luck
What the heck have you been smoking?

To the OP. You want to find someone experienced and willing to be a mentor and buddy up. keep costs low and equipment simple until you determine how much time and enjoyment you have and expand from there.
Solix 12
Old 03-28-2018, 02:18 PM
Wallhanger

Get a box of jigs and twister tails and try some spots you know about or find them. Its not just that jig and twister tails catch fish(they do) but by using them you learn alot about where you want your bait in the water column to trigger a strike, how baits move through water depending on angle of your rod, speed you crank the reel, etc. Of course you will want to try all kinds of baits.

That's some classic REW there. If you cut it down to 8 hours a day, it should only cost about $13,000 or so, before tip. 1 day would be better, then practice on your own. Then decide if you need a guide again.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:22 PM
Mark R nl

Default what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post

Good luck
Sounds like the quickest way to go broke. That advise would only cost about $12,000.00 give or take w/o the tip.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:54 PM
Wallhanger

I agree with other posts. Observe other people doing the type of fishing you wish to get into. Don't be afraid to ask questions. All fisherman around the world are the same and are willing to pass their knowledge on to others.
Lowrance Hook2 5 SplitShot Bow
2007 Mercury 5HP Kicker when needed
2020 Ford F-150 SuperCrew XLT 2.7 ECO
Old 03-28-2018, 02:56 PM
Wallhanger

This thread is a spam thread.

It originally had a link to some fishing/game app.

I don't know why the mods didn't delete the entire thing right away.

Odds are we will never hear from the OP again......Not a lot of walleyes in the Philippines.....

"If you're wise enough to wear a seatbelt in your truck.....you're wise enough to wear a life jacket in your boat....." (B-man)

Grady White 208 Hard-top 200 Yami
Lund Pro V 1660 60 HP Merc
Pro-Line 24 wa 250 Verado (sold)
Lund 186 Tyee 175 Verado (sold)
Ram 2500 Cummins
Old 03-28-2018, 03:07 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin10 View Post
I agree with other posts. Observe other people doing the type of fishing you wish to get into. Don't be afraid to ask questions. All fisherman around the world are the same and are willing to pass their knowledge on to others.
I agree with this, too. I grew up around a heavily populated area, Chicago. My dad would take us fishing from shore at small lakes and I spent a lot of time walking around, watching what other fisherman were doing, and asking others what they had caught. There are many ways to catch fish with a rod and reel and your budget is the only thing stopping you from trying them all. I just saw there are lakes stocked with largemouth bass on the island of Luzon, and anyone can catch those things.

Tags
advise , beginner , fishing , fishing equipment , help!