Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Update on my Lund boat decision ... 1875 Impact XS vs. 1875 Pro V - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 09-04-2020, 02:47 PM
Minnow

Default Update on my Lund boat decision ... 1875 Impact XS vs. 1875 Pro V

First, thank you all that provided input on my questions reagarding the 1875 Impact XS. I learned a lot from you.

Second, i survived my second hip replacement surgery last week, so it is time to get serious about ordering a boat so it is on the water by next April

As a recap, I am recently retired, and this next Lund will be my last boat. God has been good to me and I can swing getting a new Lund, but I am always looking at bang for the buck. Where we last left it I was settled on a 1875 Impact, and was dialing in options. That boat is essentially spec’d out and is ready to order.

Over the last week I have had a LOT of recuperation time, which I have used to read and finalize my thoughts on this purchase. The bottom line... I have found myself looking at the 1875 Pro V as an alternative to the 1875 Impact. Given that either boat would essentially be similarly equipped, the price difference between a 150hp Impact and a 200hp Pro V is about $12k. Resale values seem to indicate that I won’t lose that difference if I sell the boat in the future... or more likely when my kids sell the boat after I die.

So let me have your thoughts please between these two great boats. Is the Pro V worth the price difference, and what are the factors that justify that expense. Any personal preferences, things you love or hate, etc.???

Any input is welcome. I will be ordering one of these boats by Thanksgiving, so help me spend my money wisely!

Thank you! David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2020, 07:32 PM
Keeper

First of all, glad to hear you are on the path of good health. Stay focused on your rehab and get as strong as you can. In 2012, I purchased a new 1875 Pro V with full windshield and complete top set for $34,000. I had been coming off from owning and ultimately selling a 1995 Lund ProV 1660 and always "dreamt" of having a bigger pro v. Well, by 2012, the kids were off at college and I had the opportunity to push this unit around the garage myself and overall, it was a very wet boat that I never really got comfortable with. I purchased that Lund and will stay with Lund because of their great resale value. In 2017, I sold that 1875 Pro V for $31,000 and was very content to be without for a short time. I think the local bank was paying maybe 1% or so on a CD and one day I told my wife, I would rather have the dough in the garage in the form of a boat than in the bank getting moldy. So, I started my Lund pursuit again and ended up with a 2018 1775 Impact with full windshield and complete top set. I bought that at Thanksgiving as a hold over and gave $32,000 for this boat with a Merc 115 ProXS. I have installed a 24v I pilot and Garmin live scope and find this unit to be just about perfect for my needs. I fish a lot on my own and can easily launch and retrieve this boat and also can easily push it around the garage for storage. I live very close to lake michigan and can use this boat to chase perch or salmon as well as launch this boat inland to pursue gills/crappies/eyes... Please consider your style of fishing - the bodies of water you frequent and the number of friends that may join you. I personally would save the $12K and use it elsewhere -- I am certain your favorite charity or church would love the support... Stay healthy...
Old 09-04-2020, 08:18 PM
Minnow

Interesting that you brought this subject up as I am in the process of boat shopping myself. I have looked at and compared both the 1875 Impact and the 1875 Pro V. For me, I'm going with the Pro V if things work out as I hope. The Pro V stands out in interior design. I like the layout and the wide gunnels. I am going to go with a Yamaha 150 or 175 sho and have an upgraded bunk trailer. I am also going with a single console. We like to musky fish and this gives me a little more room when casting. This closed the gap between the 2 boats by almost a couple thousand. I will probably add graphics for about $500 bucks and add a boarding ladder. It will be set up for a future kicker. I priced these with the Impact, too. With the setup I want, the difference between the Impact and Pro V will be 6-7 grand. The single console might hurt the resale value down the road, but I am not concerned as this will probably be my last boat purchase. Everyone has their own list of "must haves" so get what you want! I wish you a speedy recovery and good luck!

Last edited by Yellowlabs2; 09-04-2020 at 08:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2020, 09:40 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot235 View Post
First, thank you all that provided input on my questions reagarding the 1875 Impact XS. I learned a lot from you.

Second, i survived my second hip replacement surgery last week, so it is time to get serious about ordering a boat so it is on the water by next April

As a recap, I am recently retired, and this next Lund will be my last boat. God has been good to me and I can swing getting a new Lund, but I am always looking at bang for the buck. Where we last left it I was settled on a 1875 Impact, and was dialing in options. That boat is essentially spec’d out and is ready to order.

Over the last week I have had a LOT of recuperation time, which I have used to read and finalize my thoughts on this purchase. The bottom line... I have found myself looking at the 1875 Pro V as an alternative to the 1875 Impact. Given that either boat would essentially be similarly equipped, the price difference between a 150hp Impact and a 200hp Pro V is about $12k. Resale values seem to indicate that I won’t lose that difference if I sell the boat in the future... or more likely when my kids sell the boat after I die.

So let me have your thoughts please between these two great boats. Is the Pro V worth the price difference, and what are the factors that justify that expense. Any personal preferences, things you love or hate, etc.???

Any input is welcome. I will be ordering one of these boats by Thanksgiving, so help me spend my money wisely!

Thank you! David
No pun intended but Lund says they call it pro for a reason. I have been in other models and Pro V has distinct differences and if you can afford it do it. Meanwhile how is the hip recovery, how long before you can get around. God Bless and heal well and get to doing what you enjoy be it a impact or Pro V
Humminbird Helix G2 x 1
Talon
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Old 09-05-2020, 05:36 AM
Wallhanger

David hope your recovery is going well! My advice is to sit in a Prov and the impact, that should help you make up your mind. If I were going to get a Pro V it would be the 1975 not the 1875 as I don’t care for the wide gunnels in the 1875, it’s to narrow for me. This past spring I had an interesting conversation with a Pro v owner in Northern Minnesota. Our boats were docked next to each other and we were talking about what we liked and disliked about our boats. He mentioned he wished he had kept his Impact as he doesn’t care for the wide gunnels. I really like the limited addition 1975 Pro V and if I fished big water a lot more than what I do it’s the boat I would get. Take a look at www.rapidmarine.com they have a few pro v’s. Not endorsing them but they have a lot of boats.

Last edited by 7 Mag; 09-05-2020 at 05:40 AM.
Old 09-05-2020, 08:26 AM
Wallhanger

If I think about your hip replacements. You may want to consider boats that have 90 degree gunnels. Not boats like the impacts with the lower side storage. As far as being able to balance yourself with a hand on the gunnel when a wave shows up. My balance is messed up. That’s one of the reasons I went with the 90 degree Sides on my Lund crossover.
Old 09-05-2020, 08:30 AM
Minnow

Thank you all for your input so far! Much appreciated. I’ll try to address a few of your comments and questions below.

OldFootdoc, thanks, good insight on your experience with both your Pro V and your Impact. The Impact is a great value, and you are right that $12K is significant and could be put to good use.

Yellowlabs2, it sounds like you have a well thought out plan!

bbheli, thank you, my recovery is going well. Today is day 9 post-surgery, and I transitioned from a walker to a cane this morning. If my experience with my first hip holds true, I’ll be able to ditch the cane in two or three months. In any case, so far so good.

7 Mag, thanks for again replying to one of my posts! I need to stick with a 1875, I think for two reasons. 1, I often fish alone, and based on past experience this is about as big of a boat that I would want to launch / load by myself. 2, the boat will be in a slip on a mid-Michigan lake (St. Helen) when not in use elsewhere, and the extra 3” of beam on the 1975 Pro V would make it a very tight fit (aNd wider slips are not available). I’ve limited my boat searches to 96”-97” beam models for this reason.

Two other considerations for me that might be important. As I said, when I’m not taking the boat to another lake, it will be in a slip uncovered from April to October. From everything I have read the Impact storage compartments get wet... there is limited dry storage on that boat, where the Pro V storage compartments stay dry. I will be leaving all of my gear on the boat... I am really tired of lugging everything back and forth as I do now! Second, the Impact appears to be much more user friendly for ingress/egress... the side storage bays make great steps to get in and out of the boat. I watched my dad (who I fished with well into his 80’s), and the hardest part of his day was getting in and out of the boat... so this is on my mind as well. If you have thoughts on either of these concerns, please comment.

Thank you all again!

David
Old 09-05-2020, 08:34 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowking View Post
If I think about your hip replacements. You may want to consider boats that have 90 degree gunnels. Not boats like the impacts with the lower side storage. As far as being able to balance yourself with a hand on the gunnel when a wave shows up. My balance is messed up. That’s one of the reasons I went with the 90 degree Sides on my Lund crossover.
Snowking, great input. I was focussed on ease of entry/exit from a dock, where I think the Impact has an advantage using the side storage as steps. But the reality is most of the time will be on the water and the higher gunnels on the Pro V would be an advantage for balance. Lots to consider!
Old 09-05-2020, 08:48 AM
Wallhanger

Good luck on your recovery.

I've had 1825 Explorer and 1660 Pro V in the past. Like you, I wanted to get something that will last as it will most likely be my last (5th) Lund. Was happy with the Explorer, but very satisfied with my new 1975 Pro v.

Better ride and handling are the main differences along with a thicker hull and the IPS2 design. As you mentioned the Pro V storage is much drier when compared to the Impact. The live well is better in the PRO v.

I think if you test ride the two, it will be an easy decision.

Good luck!

2020 Lund 1975 Pro-V
225 Mercury 15 Mercury
Ulterra 112 I Pilot Link MDI
Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA+ SI (2)
Humminbird 360
Old 09-05-2020, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Good luck with the new hip! I had my second hip replaced in March. My recovery was much faster the second time around. I think the robotic assisted surgery the on 2nd hip made recovery easier. Therapy was very minimal with Covid restrictions going into effect right after my surgery.
On the boats I've ridden in both and I would go for the ride of the Pro V after having hip surgery.

Tags
lund impact pro-v