Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
HBird GPS/Heading Sensor - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 02-21-2021, 01:10 AM
Minnow

Default HBird GPS/Heading Sensor

Have the HBird GPS/Heading sensors been updated since 2017?

I have one on my boat from when the boat was new in 2017 and now I'm updating to 2 Solix units along with a new trolling motor 36V Ulterra SI. So I'm wondering if I need to change out that GPS/HS to a new one for the Solix (mounted Starboard gunwale) The Ulterra comes with one also and I was thinking to mount that at the bow. Also adding a 360 universal mount to the front.

Any advise/suggestions appreciated, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2021, 07:31 AM
Wallhanger

I'm pretty sure the puck that came with the Ulterra is not the same as the one on your boat. The Ulterra puck is just a heading sensor meaning compass only, no gps on that puck. The gps is still in the motor that's why you can still use it without the puck, you just won't have jog feature. If mounting on bow make sure you have no magnetic interference up there from electronics on you will get incorrect info from your puck.

I also think the gps/heading sensor has not been upgraded since your 2017 version. Still should be 10hz maybe a software upgrade I'm not not sure on that as I run Lowrance and there was a software update for their point one, maybe simlar for HB.
Minn kota 72" 112lb 36v Terrova
Simrad nss evo2 12
BG Zeus2 12
Lowrance HDS 12 gen2
Lowrance point 1
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
Lowrance 3d
2 72" Traxtech tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees
6 Bert's ratcheting rod holders

Last edited by ltrain; 02-21-2021 at 07:46 AM.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:35 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallycatcher View Post
Have the HBird GPS/Heading sensors been updated since 2017?

I have one on my boat from when the boat was new in 2017 and now I'm updating to 2 Solix units along with a new trolling motor 36V Ulterra SI. So I'm wondering if I need to change out that GPS/HS to a new one for the Solix (mounted Starboard gunwale) The Ulterra comes with one also and I was thinking to mount that at the bow. Also adding a 360 universal mount to the front.

Any advise/suggestions appreciated, thanks
No, GPS-HS the same. If you have ipilot link, You should use it for the bow Solix. That way the transducer and the GPS is perfectly aligned on the Ulterra. You could leave the other where it is or put it closer to the transducer in the back for an increase in GPS accuracy. Or just leave it alone.(probably only 10' or so from the transom ducer). I don't have 360 so I am not sure what it needs. Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2021, 07:47 AM
Wallhanger

The world map update was a unit update a while back for the GPS. The GPS in the ipilot link can be used by solix for either the HS or GPS(or both) with any Ethernet units. The bow unit is Ideal for that as with the Ulterra deployed there will be no interference as the motor will be in the water. Bob
I want to mention my experience with the upgraded ipilot link. I had the ipilot link in about 2012 or 13. It was within a month of when it came out. I had 5 years till I upgraded to the Bluetooth w/heading sensor. The only mention of the purpose of the heading sensor is for jog. My opinion from observation is that all guided functions work better. Autopilot(both legacy and advanced), FTC and Spotlock work better as well. On a calm day in spotlock, you can watch the motor turn toward the spot before any power is applied. Knowing what any direction is what the GPS must be moving over .5 MPH (to get a course fix) This is the reason for the Bluetooth HS in there for Jog. I have also noticed less steering needed to maintain a course on FTC and autoplilot especially at slower speeds. One other thing is the Boat size adjustment. You want to dial that in as well. I think installing the HS is well worth hooking it to power and using it. Using jog on a fishing boat is also a great way to cover an area around any type of fish attracting structure. JMO Bob

Last edited by Ozark Bob; 02-21-2021 at 08:23 AM. Reason: AARG
Old 02-21-2021, 09:33 AM
Wallhanger

Sorry, one more thing. The Bluetooth hs puck can be mounted anywhere, right-side up( not under a lid) It has no gps to mess up accuracy. Plus it gives redundancy for your other hs

Last edited by Ozark Bob; 02-21-2021 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-21-2021, 12:38 PM
Minnow

Thank so much Bob that gives me plenty of info to chew on.
Old 02-21-2021, 03:29 PM
Minnow

Default Thanks Wallhanger good info

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrain View Post
I'm pretty sure the puck that came with the Ulterra is not the same as the one on your boat. The Ulterra puck is just a heading sensor meaning compass only, no gps on that puck. The gps is still in the motor that's why you can still use it without the puck, you just won't have jog feature. If mounting on bow make sure you have no magnetic interference up there from electronics on you will get incorrect info from your puck.

I also think the gps/heading sensor has not been upgraded since your 2017 version. Still should be 10hz maybe a software upgrade I'm not not sure on that as I run Lowrance and there was a software update for their point one, maybe simlar for HB.

Thanks much appreciated.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:56 PM
Minnow

Hopefully I’m not high jacking this thread but I have a related question. I’m installing an Ulterra I Pilot Link TM and want to network it with my Helix 10 G3N SI/DI fish finders. I have not installed the fish finders yet but plan on putting one on the bow and one on dash. The Humminbird website shows the wiring diagram and the part numbers needed to network. My questions:
Do I use both of the transducers that came with the fish finders on opposite sides of the transom plus install the high speed diver that Humminbird says I need to buy?
If so, do I buy 2 transducer splitters cables to connect all 3 transducers to the network?
Will I have NEMA capability with this network to get outboard info?
Sorry for the long post but appreciate any help.
Steve
Old 02-22-2021, 06:59 PM
Minnow

High speed transducer not diver(stupid spell check)
Old 02-22-2021, 08:06 PM
Wallhanger

How many Helix SI finders and what transducer is built in in your Ulterra

Tags
gps , heading sensor , solix , ulterra