Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
looking to use rapalas in deep water with a sinker attached - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 07-17-2013, 12:36 PM
Minnow

Default looking to use rapalas in deep water with a sinker attached

i have a question how do you take a rapala SR7 and get it set up to run in depths up to 40 foot im trying to find a way to cover ground on green lake mn and the weed line runs out to 32 foo with weeds only a foot or two of the bottom please help me with how you set it up seen this done on the misissippi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2013, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Put a weight about 10 feet in front of the lure and run it at the depth that you want.

If you aren't going heavy enough, use a larger weight.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Make a snap weight with planer board snap that pinches your line. Attach large sinker using a keyring sized split ring on the other end of the snap. run out a bunch of line then snap that on and let out enough to get it down there. You'll have to remove it while playing the fish in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130717_155355_252.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	262.1 KB
ID:	43937  

Last edited by Suzuki; 07-17-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2013, 03:02 PM
Wallhanger

I'd prefer an inline weight as opposed to a clip on if there's any chance of dragging that on the bottom. That snap weight will pop right off.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:05 PM
Wallhanger

I use a three way rig with 4oz weights
Old 07-17-2013, 04:26 PM
Wallhanger

I'd use snapweights and they won't pop off if you attach them properly. I've used them for years to get #5 Shap Raps down to 35 or so feet. It's easy to calculate approximately how deep your cranks are running and they work very well.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:54 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapalafan View Post
i have a question how do you take a rapala SR7 and get it set up to run in depths up to 40 foot im trying to find a way to cover ground on green lake mn and the weed line runs out to 32 foo with weeds only a foot or two of the bottom please help me with how you set it up seen this done on the misissippi
You could use a dipsy diver. How deep does the SR7 normally troll? I've had good success with Dipsy divers running deeper water, takes a little to get used to though.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:00 PM
Minnow

Default rubberband man

If you want a really simple and inexpensive way to attach a weight to your line in this situation. Use a small rubber band, I like the little ones used for my grand daughter's pony tails. You simply loop it through the weight and again on the line, it won't slip. When you have your fish on, reel it in and the rubber band will break when it hits your rod tip and the weight drops off. Reminder have the tip of the rod in the boat when you drop the weight! Buddy put me onto this years ago, always keep a package of them in my tackle box.

Good Fishing!
Old 07-17-2013, 09:36 PM
Keeper

Many ways to accomplish this but my favorite would be via a 18# lead core set up. When the bite has been tough my two lead core setups keep producing.
Three way rig with pencil lead.
80lb Terrova with Ipilot

Last edited by itsagr8day4fishing; 07-18-2013 at 03:25 PM.