Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lowrance Hook 7 - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 12-27-2016, 04:52 PM
Wallhanger

Location: tHE eDgE 0f tW!L!gHT , aNd tHe c0rr!D0r oF dArKne$$ tRans!T!0n. (49349)

Oh I agree on the personal reviews for sure, but they're something to compare to.

My buddy runs an E4 also - I probably should have said "same processor" earlier - I knew the software isn't quite the same.

How are you liking the Ti9??

That, and the Ti12Ti look like a very nice machine.

You must get to test for Navico, if you've laid hands on the 12 - didn't think you could "buy" one just yet.

HB
Helix 12 MSI G2N v1.84,AS-RC1x2, Helix 10 MDI G2N v1.84,Helix 12 SI v1.83,AS GPS HS x2, i-Pliot LINK, Helix 10 MSI G2N v1.84,~'91Lowe 1730V
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2016, 07:10 AM
Minnow

Default Thank you all

Thank you guys! Love this site
Old 12-29-2016, 07:51 AM
Minnow

Have been following this discussion and impressed by the contributions and perspectives given - thanks. I was about to purchase a Hook 7, more so with the current promotion that is bundled with the Navionics and cover. But, am parked on the decision given what I am reading. Quite concerned with issues like a slow processor, like screen issues when over 6 knots, lack of service/support etc. The next unit I buy will replace an old Lowrance at the wheel, and I currently have those same performance issues. When your spending > $500 and you read very unfavourable reviews and more....I want to look into other brands/options, so then it becomes what are better options and brands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2016, 10:51 AM
Wallhanger

Location: tHE eDgE 0f tW!L!gHT , aNd tHe c0rr!D0r oF dArKne$$ tRans!T!0n. (49349)

https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums...66&postcount=2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBG Marine View Post
Basically the same units except the HOOK does not have NMEA 2000 capability.

I've run both models for quite some time now and performance of sonar/down scan and mapping is about the same between them.

Brian

HB
Helix 12 MSI G2N v1.84,AS-RC1x2, Helix 10 MDI G2N v1.84,Helix 12 SI v1.83,AS GPS HS x2, i-Pliot LINK, Helix 10 MSI G2N v1.84,~'91Lowe 1730V
Old 12-29-2016, 11:40 AM
Wallhanger

The service after the sale concern is always in buyers minds. First, the units should rarely require repair. The quality control during development, manufacturing and beta testing should identify and correct problems.

I still think that Vexilar carries the torch for customer service. I've had excellent experiences with Humminbird. Some of my friends have not with repeatedly being dissatisfied. Sending units in and Hbird sending them back saying there was not a problem. I checked the units myself and could not find any problems except the users didn't know how to use them. Hbird has a flat rate schedule for after the warranty expires. You can see it up front, before the purchase. I think it's a little steep, but if you know that up front, then I don't see a basis for complaint. It's dated but my experience with Humminbird in terms of quality and standing behind their products is good.

I still begrudge Lowrance over the HDS GEN1 units. It was well known that there was a water intrusion problem. First it should not have happened. Second, when it did, they should have gotten out in front of it. They didn't. Then there was the dimming issue. Again well established. I got no results on this even though I purchased the 4-year extended warranty. Then there was the problem with buttons pushing themselves. I made a video of this and after seeing the video they did replace that unit. No help with the unit dimming itself. It didn't fix itself. Are they better now? Could be. I don't know and may never know. I begrudge the apparent company policy of trying NOT to make good on established problems. They may be over that. I'm not.

I've had Garmins for about a year and a half. Not had to send a unit back. I'm happy about that.

Last edited by LWinches; 12-29-2016 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:46 AM
Wallhanger

Good post Len!

I ran HB for 8 years before having to return one, I was lucky I guess....

HB