Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Shipping Fish From Alaska - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 07-27-2017, 06:45 AM
Wallhanger

Halibut was selling here for $27.99 per pound when it came this spring FRESH and the butcher filleted it in front of you. So do the math and see if it's worth it to you, but at $245 for 50 lbs and it sells for $28 per pound........that adds up to $1400 worth of "halibut"........but what are you going to do with 50 pounds of halibut.......maybe send home 20 pounds ? ? ?
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2017, 10:05 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalwapiti View Post
Can you buy a cooler and pack fish in it and bring it on an airplane? Then just pay for an extra checked bag? No dry ice allowed. But it should last for a flight and maybe a connecting flight.
A few of the 'fishing team' did just that - packed coolers full, checked in as extra baggage. One cooler was over limit in weight - they let him put a few pieces in his carry on even.

They only had one flight, as I had a connector and airlines have lost my luggage in the past - I opted to ship it via FedEx. The processor kept it in his freezer until it shipped overnight too.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:52 PM
Keeper

When I fished for kings and halibut out of wrangell last year. I packed my only a carry on and checked 2 50lb boxes of fish I think that's 100.00. The charter guide held the fish until the day we flew out and had it packed and weighed in dry ice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2017, 10:09 AM
Wallhanger

I went fishing in the Baja, Mexico and brought my fish back in a cooler on the plane. Just make sure the fish are well frozen, place them in the bottom of the cooler, then pack the rest of the cooler with crushed newspaper. I'm thinking mine were in the cooler about 14 hrs, and were still hard frozen when I got home in South Dakota. You have to assure the airline there is no dry ice or ice in the cooler. Or let them look in there I guess. They didn't for me though.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:57 PM
Slot Fish

I've done this 2x and both times out of Homer, AK. We used North Country Charters and they fillet the fish for you for free (tip them) and will also run the fish over to Coal Point Distributing where they will vac pack, freeze and ship it for you. You can either pack it in a cooler/fish box and get it back to the airport yourself and check it as baggage or have them pack it in a fish box and send it to your door FedEx. Freeze and pack was like a buck or so a pound and FedEx was the normal shipping rate.

LM
Old 08-07-2017, 04:06 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazermule View Post
FedEx was the normal shipping rate.

LM
Like $7.00 per lb.