Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Humminbird 859ciHD moused chewed transducer cable - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 06-16-2019, 06:14 PM
Minnow

Default Humminbird 859ciHD moused chewed transducer cable

I have a question for the group.
I am leaving for Dale Hollow tomorrow at 9AM and just noticed a mouse chewed thru a few of the wires in the transducer cable for my Humminbird 859ciHD.
I can reconnect the wires but I noticed few of the pairs are shielded. If I reconnect the wires will the unit work at all? Is it possible it will damage the head unit?
I plan to stop at Bass Pro in southern Indiana on my way down, but I doubt they will have the replacement transducer in stock??
I would appreciate any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2019, 06:21 PM
Wallhanger

The transducer will work after you re-connect the wires. You will probably see more noise on the sonar screen, however.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:26 PM
Minnow

Default Moused

I am going to try and put some foil tape on the repair but not sure how good of job that I can do?
So you do not think it will damage the head unit in any way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2019, 06:58 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarcraft91 View Post
The transducer will work after you re-connect the wires. You will probably see more noise on the sonar screen, however.
Agree fully. Repair to original pairs. Shield as well as possible.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:11 PM
Wallhanger

Just splice the wires. The important thing is to reconnect the colors correctly and not short to another or ground. That is the only thing that will hurt the head. The next thing is to waterproof the splices. If water gets in there it might affect performance or damage the head. Normal heat shrink will not cut it. You want to soldier the connections and then heat shrink with a sealing heat shrink or better yet is use butt splices that soldiers, heat shrinks and seals in one step using a heat gun. If the wires are real small these might not work.

https://www.amazon.com/Connectors-So...93&s=hi&sr=1-3

If you don't have time to do it properly now then soldier and tape each wire and then tape the whole splice with electrical tape then redo it when you get back.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:51 PM
Wallhanger

Bass pro probably will have a transducer, will likely be under lock and key so you may have to ask someone around the electronics.

But yeah, what everyone else said.. splice them as best as you can and hopefully it works for you! I would personally shrink wrap them and then the whole thing if possible. If not, liquid electrical tape and then good quality 3m electrical tape over it.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:05 PM
Charter Member

Brad,
Leave it alone.
Stop at Bass Pro, pick up a new transducer, install it and go fishing.

There is a 50-50 chance that you could miswire the unit and cause expensive damage to the head unit. Why take a chance?

If necessary, just stop by and purchase an entirely new unit if they don't have just the transducer in stock. and on the way home, return the unit, minus the transducer.

Or just fish without the use of the depth finder for now and fix it later when you can.

Best wished.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:47 AM
Keeper

Question Attn: BPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Brad,
Leave it alone.
Stop at Bass Pro, pick up a new transducer, install it and go fishing.

There is a 50-50 chance that you could miswire the unit and cause expensive damage to the head unit. Why take a chance?

If necessary, just stop by and purchase an entirely new unit if they don't have just the transducer in stock. and on the way home, return the unit, minus the transducer.

Or just fish without the use of the depth finder for now and fix it later when you can.

Best wished.
"Return the unit, minus the transducer" ?
Old 06-17-2019, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Lazy,
Yes, return the depth finder minus the transducer and tell the store that you would like the price of the transducer subtracted from your refund payment when you return the unit.

Good luck
Old 06-17-2019, 12:40 PM
Wallhanger

Good luck with that lol