Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Meat or trophy hunter? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Big Game Hunting

Old 11-26-2014, 04:59 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8210t View Post
im not a wildlife biologist but I do know that if you kill a small buck they quit growing antlers
2014 G3 V167T Angler
Yamaha F40LA
MinnKota V2 PD45
Humminbird 581i HD DI Combo
The Esox Lucius

U.S. Army 95B30-Z6 1979-1990
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2014, 09:40 PM
Wallhanger

My initial plan going into each and every season is to hunt for a mature, trophy deer. If I'm not fortunate enough to shoot a mature buck, I'll wait til next year and try again. Drives me crazy that so many young bucks are shot before they have a chance to mature. With the antlerless tags I/we get every year, there are many opportunities to fill one late in the season if meat is needed. Just my opinion!
Lowrance HDS-12 Live
Lowrance HDS-12 Carbon w/3 in 1
Lowrance Outboard Pilot w/Remote
Lowrance VHF Link-8
TrollMaster Pro 2
Fish Hawk X4
Cisco Tracks, Masts & Rod Holders
Old 12-06-2014, 05:06 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregking View Post
So last weekend a buddy, his dad and myself go hunting on some private ground. We get there Friday around noon. By 5 deer are moving. Nobody shoots and we all gather back at the house and talk about what we saw. My buddy saw a nice wide 4x4. He didn't shoot it, said " it's Friday and I want something bigger. Greg would have shot it though, lol". I said "darn right, nice food for the freezer".

Got me thinking about all my friends that are trophy hunters and give the deer away. I guess I see it as food. My buddy does keep his deer. I do know he still gets excited about stuff, I could care less, just bored with certain sports in my life I suppose. Maybe I don't want to be in the spot light anymore and I want my kids to feel it. Idk, my buddy doesn't have any kids yet which might explain it
Killing the first animal you see for meat is just to easy. A number of years ago (about 2009) I stopped shooting unless it was the trophy I wanted. Trophy hunting just makes season a challenge and last longer.

With that being said we only have one bull moose tag next fall but 3 cow tags for Ontario Archery. Since I've already got a moose on the wall I will be filling one of the cow tags unless I see a monster bull.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0412.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	119594   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2990.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	119602   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3402.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	119610   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4211.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	502.4 KB
ID:	119618  

Last edited by Wade B AKA: Ruger2506; 12-06-2014 at 05:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2014, 05:26 AM
Wallhanger

Not my Giraffe, but a cool mount none-the-less. It was at the taxidermist when I was picking up my Red Stag.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4166.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	496.1 KB
ID:	119626  
Old 12-06-2014, 06:37 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade B AKA: Ruger2506 View Post
Not my Giraffe, but a cool mount none-the-less. It was at the taxidermist when I was picking up my Red Stag.
Wade I am biting my tongue! Not directed at you personally so don't be offended. I just had a debate the other day with someone about killing many of the African Species. It did not go well because I don't believe in it but not knowing all of the facts and the environment I will keep biting my tongue.

Lowrance HDS-12 Live
Lowrance HDS-12 Carbon w/3 in 1
Lowrance Outboard Pilot w/Remote
Lowrance VHF Link-8
TrollMaster Pro 2
Fish Hawk X4
Cisco Tracks, Masts & Rod Holders
Old 12-06-2014, 06:45 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSH Kucinski View Post
Wade I am biting my tongue! Not directed at you personally so don't be offended. I just had a debate the other day with someone about killing many of the African Species. It did not go well because I don't believe in it but not knowing all of the facts and the environment I will keep biting my tongue.

No worries. These topics can be heated and emotional.

I understand where you are coming from. One of the main reasons I stopped hunting was because of the waste we witnessed in New Zealand. They have some of the finest venison in the world there, so when a big bull is shot who is full of hormones from the rut, the carcass is tossed in a hole in the ground. While we don't eat the meat anymore and don't want it, it is at lease important to me it gets used. My brother gets all of the meat from my dad's and my kills.

Last edited by Wade B AKA: Ruger2506; 12-06-2014 at 06:50 AM.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:40 PM
Wallhanger

Default Meat

Its been said before - "You can't eat the horns."
I'm a meat hunter. Would I shoot a monster buck? YES. Would I shoot a basket 8 or immature 8? YES. Would I pass on a mature doe to shoot a un-mountable buck? NO.
In both bow and shotgun season, I will harvest what ever the good Lord lets wander by me first.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:48 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Versed View Post
Taxidermy is not even part of the equation for me. I have long since learned its a waste of money for me. I have a couple fish and ducks in closets. No way I'm spending $500 on a shoulder mount thats gonna sit in the basement. When I'm dead they will put it out on the curb on trash day. No thanks I'll keep the $500. Pictures, memories, and personal satisfaction are all I need.
Never thought of it like that. Makes sense.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:04 PM
Wallhanger

Forgot to let you all know, my 15 yr old daughter who I fish with wanted to go deer hunting with me. I told her she can shadow me and if she enjoys it next year I will get her a tag. Then I asked if she wanted to go coyote hunting with me and some friends and she said yes. Last weekend she went with me.
It was a 4.5 hr drive total. We drove 1.5 hrs to pick up my buddy and let me tell you what, she was a chatter box. Reminded me of when she was 2-10 yrs old. I cannot tell you how awesome it was. I never wanted it to end. We drive a lot together but she usually tunes into her music. I try to start games or talk but at 15 she doesn't want too I guess.

Pic from last Saturday. Proud dad here.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	120434  
Old 01-07-2015, 07:14 AM
Wallhanger

Greg, My Son is 17 and Daughter is 14, Been taking the Son with since he was 3 hunting deer, rabbit, turkey, geese, and to see the hunter he has become is priceless!

Now the Daughter did not show any interest until last yr. during our Oct. youth hunt (2 day hunt buck or doe) she ended up getting a basket 8, after the shot she started shaking and crying with excitement, I think that hooked her

This yr. the Son ended up getting a nice 8 while bow hunting at my buddies and the Daughter shot her 10 pt. the next night behind our house.

The Son also got his biggest so far this yr. gun hunting, I'll try to get it on here, needless to say 2 are at the Taxidermist.

Oh and we are meat hunter, but the antlers look nice
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20141108_175036.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	512.0 KB
ID:	124706   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1779.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	124714