Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Spinning Reels - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 01-27-2019, 03:17 PM
Wallhanger

I don't use my backreel feature to fight fish but use it to drop jigging raps to suspended fish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2019, 07:23 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigeton View Post
I don't use my backreel feature to fight fish but use it to drop jigging raps to suspended fish.
This I do a lot,especially with a rippin rap.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:55 PM
Wallhanger

I never back reel while fighting a fish but I do back reel a lot to position the spool just right for casting. Maybe it's a bad habit for me but I like the spool positioned just right before I cast and to get it there I often back reel to get it in position. Then I flip the switch back on lock and cast.

The problem comes when I forget to flip the switch back on and set the hook. If my hand comes off the reel handle on hook-set, the reel spins backwards and I end up with a mess and generally a lost fish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2019, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

Just to be clear - I do really like the anti-reverse feature for reasons pretty much already posted. The chances of me purchasing a spinning reel without are O.

Bill
Old 01-31-2019, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Mil,
With a very good reel with a very good drag, there is really little reason to ever back reel.

However, I will be the first to admit that even though I have fished for years and caught plenty of fish of all sizes, I have never ever back reeled a fish.

I will also say, that if I do hook into a really big fish, I do click back the drag a bit, just to be safe.

Take care
Old 02-01-2019, 09:21 AM
Keeper

I too turn off the anti-reverse quite often when vertical jigging and when putting the rod and reel away for the day to adjust the position of the hook on the hook-keeper. I very seldom back reel any more unless I pick up a Northern or Musky while walleye fishing and I enjoy the extra "feel" of the fight. I believe the main reason for the elimination of the feature is production cost reduction. Ten years ago almost all reels came with an extra spool, now very few do because they can sell you a spare. I like to have one spool with braid and one spool with Flurocarbon. I still have 2 older Stradics and both came with two spools and the anti-reverse switch. When I need to, I will buy a Daiwa Ballistic and an extra spool I guess and keep my older reels tuned and in good repair as long as I can.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:45 PM
Wallhanger

I thought back reeling was invented so that you can tell them to turn the video camera on and fight it again on the camera.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:48 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfish View Post
I thought back reeling was invented so that you can tell them to turn the video camera on and fight it again on the camera.
I've never back reeled in sixty years of fishing. Cannot ever remember thinking, "Gee, if I would have back reeled that fish would not have got away". As much as I like Keith K I laugh every time I see him backreeling on a 15 inch walleye. Lol! When I get a serious fish close to the boat I simply ease the drag off to allow for those last second hard runs. That mechanical device called a drag, on a decent reel, is waaaaayyyyy faster acting than a human can backreel.
Old 11-15-2019, 01:46 AM
Minnow

It will also depend on your budget. I was advised to use this set, which does not look bad. I have a standard coil, but the name on it has been erased, so I can't tell you the model. I have plans to buy a completely new rod, my barely alive.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:33 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by milfish View Post
I still have 2 older Stradics and both came with two spools and the anti-reverse switch. When I need to, I will buy a Daiwa Ballistic and an extra spool I guess and keep my older reels tuned and in good repair as long as I can.
I too miss two spools from almost all manufactures way more than the ability to back reel. The Ballistic LT 2500 at 6.3 oz (2500 Ci4 6.7 oz) is the real deal and can be found on line around $180. Another one is on my Christmas list.