Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Transome Saver - Verado? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 09-27-2011, 10:12 AM
Keeper

Default No issue to date

I have used a transom saver on my V-rod for 6 seasons now (not as big as yours), as well as previously on past boat for 10 years - - - just don't hit the trim button until it stalls out - should be just fine.

We all know how rough the roads in Michigan are too.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2011, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

The way that I look at transom savers in general is that if the transom can hold up to anything that a rough lake can dish out to a boat, motor and transom, why does anyone need anything else on the back of the boat and trailer when the boat is going down the road?

REW
Old 09-27-2011, 11:57 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
The way that I look at transom savers in general is that if the transom can hold up to anything that a rough lake can dish out to a boat, motor and transom, why does anyone need anything else on the back of the boat and trailer when the boat is going down the road?

REW

I agree REW. Just a scare tactic to sell an item. I've tried to pay attention over the years when I pass boats on the highway that DO NOT have a transom saver on the back. The big name branded boats (especially glass) have NO flexing of the transom when hitting bumps.

I wonder if Mark Courts was worried about his transom when attempting to fly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mark Courts.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	11870  
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2011, 12:57 PM
Minnow

I've seen some motors on some boats without a wedge or transom saver going down the road and the lower unit of the motor bouncing all over the place. Constant beating and pounding like this on your motor mounts and hydro's can't be good for them.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:42 PM
Keeper

Default Transom saver

I have an old wooden b.oat with a 25 hp and use a transom saver. I am not sure how much good it does, but I know it will do no harm. It assures that the stress is only up and down, not twisting.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:58 PM
Keeper

The more I read and think about this topic the more I begin to think that there really shouldn't be any debate about this. If the boat manufacturer can't answer a very basic question about what the weight/torque limits are on the transom of every boat they make, then a person would really have to wonder if the engineers for that company know what they are doing.

I was surprised today when I received a reply from Lund indicating that they had no opinion one way or another... that I should ask you folks here!

Now I know better than to take that reply as anything more than a lame attempt to make me go away. Looking at the transom of my 2006 Pro V I see a great deal of thought went into the engineering of that transom. Their engineers have to know within some reasonable limits just how much weight/torque that transom can handle. It really should be a matter of fact, not opinion.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:21 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post

REW
Because the boat is clamped down to the trailer and can't move with the bouncing motor like it can in water.
The physics involved aren't the same..

PS: I just got home from fishing on Ft Peck reservoir in Montana. I was camped at the Crooked Creek area on the west end of Ft Peck.
45 Miles in there ...and 45 miles back out...on a bumpy gravel road.

Did I have a transom saver on my Verado?
You bet I did.

Last edited by T Mac; 09-29-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Mac View Post
Because the boat is clamped down to the trailer and can't move with the bouncing motor like it can in water.
The physics involved aren't the same..

PS: I just got home from fishing on Ft Peck reservoir in Montana. I was camped at the Crooked Creek area on the west end of Ft Peck.
45 Miles in there ...and 45 miles back out...on a bumpy gravel road.

Did I have a transom saver on my Verado?
You bet I did.
I agree 100%

when you are booking down the lake, the propeller is pushing the lower unit forward, there is no bouncing of the engine on the transom.

Sure, there is a lot of force but its constant pressure, not a undulating load like you get when the boat is bouncing down the road and the motor is dangling off the transom

I do vibration testing at work, you would not believe the damage certain forces cause to something after being subjected to it over time

Dad shot the little fellow.

Mary had a little pig.
Her father shot it dead.
Now it goes to school with her,
Between two hunks of bread.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:31 PM
Keeper

I wonder what kind of force is involved when, from a dead stop, the throttle is opened on a 19 or 20 foot boat weighing 1900 lbs plus gas, batteries, water in live wells, occupants and gear. The front of the boat is literally lifted up out of the water until it gets on-plane. The force is all applied from the lowest point on the motor so the motor mounts are literally pulling against the transom to lift the boat. This would be a great physics experiment.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

WHAT DOES YOUR MANUAL SAY ?????

Here's mine (Mercury)...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Transom Saver.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	11893  

Tags
lower unit , transome saver , verado