Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Ivanhoe Lake - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada
Register All Albums FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2019, 11:35 AM
Minnow

Default Ivanhoe Lake

I am looking for any info on fishing Ivanhoe lake in mid to late August. We are pretty restricted to that time frame. How crowded does Ivanhoe get that time of year? Also looking at Crotch Lake, although Crotch sounds more crowded. Thanks for any info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2019, 12:16 PM
Wallhanger

There is a lot of info on both lakes on here. Run a search and you should find what you are looking for.

If you mean Crotch Lake in SE Ontario .... it's a beautiful lake but the fishing is mediocre to bad for walleye and pike, but good for smallies.
Old 11-25-2019, 12:58 PM
Minnow

Thanks MrSimon, I’ve searched on here so much I’m driving myself crazy trying to pick a lake! I’ve read several posts where the fishing seems to have changed from five years ago, so I’m just trying to getting the latest reports. We’re really looking for something less crowded, where we can catch some numbers, pike, bass, walleye, mostly catch and release. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Hopefully within 6 or 7 hours of the Soo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2019, 01:24 PM
Wallhanger

That has always been my criteria as well .... "lots of numbers and solitude within 7 hours of the Soo".

You can certainly get that at drive-in places around Wawa, Chapleau, Hornpayne, Longlac .... but man oh man what a difference an airplane makes. Take a flight out of White River, Nakina, or Hearst and you'll be blown away by how much better the whole experience is.

Look up my recent report on Melchett Lake with Boreal Forrest Outfitters. I think you'll be surprised how cheap it is.
Old 11-25-2019, 02:38 PM
Minnow

That does sound interesting, I will be checking that out, thanks.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:37 AM
Wallhanger

I would look elsewhere.

Check into Windemere (drive-to lodge and boat-in outpost), Lady Evelyn (boat-in lodges), Wenebegon (ATV-in outpost), Prairie Bee (drive-to lodge and boat-in outpost), Horwood (drive-to and boat-in lodges), Ramsey (boat-in lodge), Brunswick (boat-in lodge), Lac Kipawa (in Quebec, drive-to and boat-in lodges and outposts).

Fishing on all those lakes is probably just ok. I have only been to 4 of them. Definitely fewer people though, especially if you choose an outpost.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2019, 11:51 AM
Minnow

Horwood is on the short list also, thanks for the reply!
Old 11-26-2019, 01:26 PM
Wallhanger

You can also look at Murray Lake Cottages, Five Mile Lake Lodge, and Moosehorn Lodge. All are nice drive-to lodges with very interesting options to get into less pressured lakes. Sometimes via an outpost, sometimes via long boat ride, and sometimes via logging roads in the bush.

You kind of need to define what's most important to your group first. If it's just high numbers of fish, then a fly-in will crush almost all of the drive-to places (there are always exceptions to that rule). If it's a remote feel while on the water, then you're looking for big lakes or connected bodies of water to explore. If you want solitude while at the cabin, then you need an outpost.

Also, you have to define "high numbers". If all you want is 10-20 fish per day, then by all means try any of the places listed. If you want 50-75 or more per day, then fly. Flying gives you numbers and ultimate solitude.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:20 PM
Minnow

Can I PM you MrSimon?
Old 12-07-2019, 09:00 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamp40 View Post
Can I PM you MrSimon?
Hey Lamp I'm from Timmins and do a bit of guiding on Horwood and Ivanhoe. There is alot of boat traffic on Ivanhoe for the size the lake is. That time of year is great for pulling crankbaits, jigging raps and harnesses. Out of the lakes you mentioned I would strongly recommend Horwood. There are 3 lodges on the lake, but boat traffic is pretty minimal. There's many types of structures and different ways to catch fish there as well. Out of the 3 Lodges I would recommend Big Bear. Feel free to ask any questions!