Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Bilge Pump - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 11-24-2020, 03:48 PM
Keeper

Default Bilge Pump

My bilge pump keeps blowing the circuit breaker after being on several seconds (10) then pops. All of the original wiring (bilge pump included) is factory on the boat and has not been changed. I ran a second wire separately to a Blue Seas fuse box for my Sonar, NEMA and GPS sensor. Any additional electronics or wiring that I did is connected to the fuse box via this second wire.
Any thoughts on why the bilge pump with the original factory wiring is blowing the breaker ?

dvl2700

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2020, 04:17 PM
Wallhanger

I would start with replacing it, they’re not that expensive. Eliminate that as a problem. And a lot easier then tracing wires.
Old 11-24-2020, 06:06 PM
Ranger Team

Check the pump for either debris or a bad pump motor that is bad Easy to drop in a new cartridge motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2020, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

The bilge area is a high humidity wet place. Things like to corrode in that environment and have a higher likelyhood of shorting out. Could be the pump itself or the connections going to it.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:30 AM
Wallhanger

If you do not have it already. The Johnson pumps are great. You can replace the motors so easy without having to redo the mount. Or pull it apart to check for debris that plugged it. Make sure you use heatshrink butt connecters on the wiring. If you do have a Johnson pump. I would pull it out and check for junk. If I went to Canada Or other out of the way places. I would have an extra Johnson pump motor to replace. In case of breakdown.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:34 AM
Wallhanger

If you have an auto bilge. Make sure it is not stuck on. Keeping the bilge pump running till the fuse blows.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:27 PM
Keeper

I have to turn the Main Power Switch on at the dash before I run the bulge pump. Right now my plan is to probably replace the bilge pump I have and run new wire to the new unit with the appropriate connectors. BTW, Watch You Tube's Seminar are Marine Electrical Basics. Lots of great information. The guy knows his stuff.

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them !
Old 11-26-2020, 10:26 AM
Slot Fish

If you have access to a DC amp clamp you could check the amp draw of the pump. It obviously is greater than your fuse size. Do not increase fuse/breaker size or you will risk the chance of fire. 🔥🚤. More than likely the pump. Sometimes I have had a little piece of braid line or stick in my impeller that has caused a similar issue. Cleaned it out was good to go.
Old 11-26-2020, 11:04 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvl2700 View Post
I have to turn the Main Power Switch on at the dash before I run the bulge pump. Right now my plan is to probably replace the bilge pump I have and run new wire to the new unit with the appropriate connectors. BTW, Watch You Tube's Seminar are Marine Electrical Basics. Lots of great information. The guy knows his stuff.
Best if you add a float switch in parallel for auto engagement/power of the bilge pump in addition to the switched power source. If for some reason water is accumulating in the transom and you don't notice, the pump will automatically turn on regardless if the master switch is on or off!

Marty