Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
New Minnesota Regulation on Sorting/Culling. - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 05-13-2004, 03:05 PM
John in Mn

Default New Minnesota Regulation on Sorting/Culling.

The new rule states: (Page 14, 2004 regs)

“Once a limit of fish has been reduced to possession, no culling or live well sorting of that species is allowed”

Ok, so I’ll assume that I can sort and cull up to the point where I place that last fish in the well. What a stupid law! The DNR already contends that anglers rarely ever get a limit, so what’s the point?

For the record, I think sorting and culling is unsportsmanlike and should be banned outright! What do you think?
Old 05-13-2004, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Default RE: New Minnesota Regulation on Sorting/Culling.

Culling has been illegal in Ontario for a long time. Smash a fish around in the livewell for an hour or more then let him go....not smart.
Old 05-13-2004, 06:26 PM
Keeper

The new law doesn't mean that at all. What it means is that once you put a fish in the livewell, it's yours. It doesn't mean you can cull until you have your limit and it's meant to stop people from releasing dead or dying fish.

Wisconsin has had this law for years and I totally agree with the DNR for adding it to our regulations.
MN Muskie guides association.
Lake Vermilion guides league.

"It's just fishing man"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2004, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

As far as I'm concerned, if you put it in the livewell, then you own it.

Walk softly and carry a big fish.

Hans/MN
Old 05-13-2004, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

This is not a new Law.
It is nice that you are reading the laws.
This law has been in existence for a long time.
Essentially, it has always meant the same thing. Once you have a fish in your posession - i.e. in your livewell and off the hook, the fish is yours, and may not be put back in the water.

That is why, for years; I have had a problem with tournaments, which seem to get away with the policy of letting their fishermen, put a fish in the livewell, and if they don't like its size later- return it to the water- in favor of a different fish. This is a complete violation of the current MN law.

The entire theory of catch and release is to release a fish in such a conditon that it is likely to survive. The best way to do that is to never put a hand on the fish. Get the fish beside the boat, and reach over, and unhook it with a pair of pliars and never put a hand on the fish. No protective slime taken off the fish, no damage to its scales, and no damage to the fish, due to improper handling.

A very common sense law, and very easy to follow. When you bring the fish to the side of the boat - make the decision to keep or let go, and stick with it.

Take care
REW
Old 05-13-2004, 10:56 PM
Alumacraft Owner

ETT,

"Once you have a fish in your posession - i.e. in your livewell and off the hook, the fish is yours, and may not be put back in the water."

We have this law in out state too (NE). But, yet they are released from livewells during catch and release tournaments. I'm having a hard time interpreting the intent of the law, but yet I still promote catch and release during walleye tourneys.

Take care,

AO
Old 05-14-2004, 06:34 AM
Huskie

I agree that culling decreases mortality and the law is in the best interests of preserving the fishery.

One question though---as the law is written, if an angler initially begins fishing and kkeps one or two fish. Later, he decides to not keep the fish and wishes to return them to the water. AS the law reads, he cannot. So fish that might have had a chance to survive (although one could argue those fish have a very compromised chance of survival after release) now are desined to be removed from the water ecosystem.

Seems like the law, although well intentioned, does not allow for a situation I myself have found myself in on more than one occasion.
Old 05-14-2004, 06:34 AM
Huskie

I agree that culling decreases mortality and the law is in the best interests of preserving the fishery.

One question though---as the law is written, if an angler initially begins fishing and kkeps one or two fish. Later, he decides to not keep the fish and wishes to return them to the water. AS the law reads, he cannot. So fish that might have had a chance to survive (although one could argue those fish have a very compromised chance of survival after release) now are desined to be removed from the water ecosystem.

Seems like the law, although well intentioned, does not allow for a situation I myself have found myself in on more than one occasion.
Old 05-14-2004, 11:47 AM
slimer

Those fish that are released still count towards your limit for that day and towards your possesion limit for your trip. its an honesty thing.
Old 05-14-2004, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

I think you've read it correctly. Until a limit is placed into your livewell, it sounds like you can sort thru and cull smaller fish. This works in many other States. I see no reason why it can't work equally well in Minn. You guys are smart enough to recognize when a fish is not going to be able to live if you were to release it.