Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Battery Recharging in Fish house - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Ice Fishing - Mainly a winter sport > Ice Fishing

Old 02-14-2021, 02:20 PM
Fishin Impossible

Default Battery Recharging in Fish house

I had a blue flame propane wall heater in my fish house, and replaced it with a Dometic RV Forced air Furnace a couple of years ago. It runs off the 12 volt deep cycle battery. Before I replaced the heater, I had 3 or 4 lights that I had changed over to LED bulbs, so there was never much of a draw on the battery. I use a Honda power inverter to run the some other appliances, (tv etc.) along with a 1.5 amp battery charger/ maintainer to try to help the battery keep a charge while I’m out fishing. I think adding the furnace it draws around 4.5 amps, and I think my 1.5 amp slow charger quit on me, the furnace fans won’t turn on to start the furnace now.

What do others with commercially built houses use to keep their battery’s charging when you’re out fishing? What size charger is required? I have a wet cell deep cycle battery, so I wonder if a charger with too many amps is harmful if it keeps turning on and off while the battery is in use.

As you can see, I’m not very skilled electronically, so if anyone can help with what’s working for them, I’d appreciate it.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2021, 06:53 AM
Wallhanger

https://www.amazon.com/ECO-WORTHY-Po...s%2C193&sr=8-3
Old 02-16-2021, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

that 10 watt panel above is not going to help at all.

Get yourself a nice sized solar panel if you have a place to mount it or use on the ice
reflective sunshine off the snow does work well, panels also work more efficient with colder temps vs under the heat, winter sun angles are not ideal, but usable, some of angle loss is offset by temps & reflected light.
You didn't say if you have multiple 12v batteries? if you do, I would suggest picking up a 250-300 watt 24v panel. if you are only using one 12v battery, get a couple 100 watt panels.
then pick up a cheap/low cost charge controller, 10-15 amp will work fine.

if you have multiple 12 batteries in the same location, you CAN wire them in a 24v series and Still tap 12v off of each.

I use some Hyundai 270 watt 24v panels. each panel is rated at 9.2 amp output under the best conditions, I see a good 8amps under most sunny winter conditions.
Keep in mind that is 8+Amps at 24 volts

A 100watt panel would be about 3.5-4 usable amps of charging panel under normal winter condition.

Otherwise, a generator which I assume you are using for them higher loads "Honda power inverter"

You will find many good values on used or even new 24v higher wattage panels from the likes of craigslist or facebook market place.

270+ watt panel plus charge controller with cabling can be had for around $200+/-

Last edited by cyber16; 02-16-2021 at 11:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2021, 11:44 PM
Slot Fish

Thanks, I’ll look into those solar chargers!