Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
What are the odds for having to spend an extra night at an outpost? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 11-12-2021, 05:48 PM
Keeper

Default What are the odds for having to spend an extra night at an outpost?

Out of the trips you have taken to outposts, have you ever had to spend an extra night due to weather?

In 2007, I was at an outpost with Loon Haunt. Specifically, Whitelaw lake, late May to first of June . It rained almost all day, every day all week. We were scheduled Sunday morning to Sunday morning, and the rain only stopped a couple of times. Was freezing at night, so mornings were hard for my kid. We found some holes in the soffits during our stay, because every mosquito on the lake was looking for warmth in the cabin. Notably, our last night, Saturday night was nice. We had a great sunset.

It was only my oldest daughter and me. We had the cabin cleaned, we were packed, and ready to roll out to the dock by 530am Sunday morning. light drizzle and low clouds. 0630, no plane. 0830, 1030, 1230, no plane. I got on the radio to talk to Bill and Louise at their base camp and they said that Green Airways was hoping for a window to get us out.

We finally heard the plane at 1730 and hustled down to the lake. The pilot wasted no time dropping off the next party and loading us up. I don't know who looked more relieved, us or the group coming in.

We flew out on the absolute deck, just under the clouds. It seemed like we were no more than 150 above the trees. I was nervous the whole way. Landed at Red Lake and skedaddled. I think that we finally made it back to INL at about midnight, and we had a very early flight out.

That was one of 6 trips (but we did make it out on our departure day). One other. As a side note, when I outpost with a kid now, I always bring extra "fun" snacks, and we also always bring mosquito nets for our beds.

So... I'm curious about odds. How many outpost trips have you taken, and have you ever had to spend an extra night?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2021, 08:29 PM
Wallhanger

In 2019 we got stuck 2 extra nights with Chimo due to the fires and planes couldn’t get to us from Red Lake.
1.5 extra days of fishing was awesome and felt bad for the crew that came in after us as they lost 1.5 days along with added lodging expense in Red Lake.
That’s a huge advantage of drive or boat ins as just can’t control the weather.
Old 11-12-2021, 11:03 PM
Keeper

Not sure on exact count but maybe 20 plus fly-ins. Always flew in and flew out on the date scheduled. Had a few flights with short delays and a couple of flights that when we landed I wish we would not have taken off.....

When you happen to get lucky and get to ride in the co-pilots seat and you get banged around hitting your window followed by hitting the pilot next to you most of the flight that maybe you should not have taken off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2021, 06:45 AM
Charter Member

There was a group flying in from another camp, and midflight, the weather got so bad that they landed. Ended up the weather didn't clear, and I gave them a couple of boats to go fish close by. They had a great day, but didn't get into Arrow lake for their day trip.
Old 11-13-2021, 09:24 AM
Slot Fish

We did a lot of fly in through the years.Never had to stay an extra night. Were picked up late a few times. Had one late pickup that I wish we would have stayed the night. When we landed the pilot said " Never again.'' I had to agree with him.Most of our flight was spent flying sideways.
Old 11-13-2021, 10:55 AM
Keeper

I ran this question past a guy who has taken more trips than anyone I've known. Over 100. He said that out of those trips, he got delayed overnight 2 trips.

He also said that he was delayed getting out of camp, but still made it out on his departure day, more times than he could remember.
Old 11-13-2021, 11:18 AM
Minnow

We did about 7 years in a row some fly to Lakes north of red lake and put up a tent for a week. Fished a couple of lakes that may not have been fished before. Only once we had a two hour delay at the lake we stayed at. Plane was on time we was trying to beat the storm but it blew in to fast. We sat in the plane in a bay waiting it out. When we left it may have been to soon but looked like it was to get worse. It was a very bad ride back to camp.
Old 11-13-2021, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

have been doing fly-ins for decades - have been stuck at the camp and also at the float plane base numerous times - but you can reduce the risk of getting stuck a number of ways:
1 - scheduling flyins for May and early June as well as September/October really increase the risk of getting stuck. we changed our trips to late June - early July and the frequency of getting stuck is much less - MUCH less - the days are so long that there always seems to be a window where the outfitters can fly
2 - the distance of the flight really impacts the risk. lots of territory between your camp and the base causes problems - smoke, localized storms and fog banks can fully stop these VFR flights
3 - using an outfitter that has to use planes of another outfitter also increases the risk of getting stuck. outfitteres who run their own planes must service their clients first.

anyway - we've been stuck probably 7-8 times over maybe 40 years of doing fly-ins (one trip per year) - this past season for two days due to fog that never seemed to leave. we now do trips in late June/early July and have not been stuck for any of those trips - delayed yes but not stuck over night.

phish
Old 11-13-2021, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

Just luck of the draw either way. We've spent many extra hours on both ends coming in and going out. Never had an extra overnight, but missed hotel connections on the way home and drove half the night until we found a room.

We've been in the air halfway to the lake and turned around before, too. There is a ridge north east of Red Lake, ON that sometimes blocks float planes from getting over when weather turns sour. That has held us up several times back in the day.

Just part of the experience. I still think about all the people on 9-11 that were at outpost lakes and had no idea what was happening and were stranded for days not knowing anything about the attack or why no one came to get them. That would have been unnerving to say the least. I did have acquaintances who were in Alaska on their way home with frozen meats and lost all of it when coolers sat for days in the airport. That would have been a kick in the butt, too.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."

Last edited by Pooch; 11-13-2021 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11-13-2021, 04:47 PM
Keeper

Several years ago I was at an outpost on Lac Seul when a really bad storm hit. It wasn't our travel day, so we were OK. The following year when we flew into our outpost with the first half of our group I talked to the guys that were waiting for the plane to return with the rest of my group and to take the rest of theirs back. The previous year's storm came up and they told me that the plane brought in the first 5 new guys and took 5 of theirs back. It never returned until the next morning. They had no way to communicate with the home base or anyone. Can you imagine spending a day not knowing what happened to your buddies? They said that it was a long 24 hours, but everyone was fine. The weather was so bad that the plane couldn't return that day.