Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Nwo winter update - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 11-16-2021, 08:52 AM
Wallhanger

Default Nwo winter update

What was a beautifull fall turned ugly few days ago.We received around 20" of warmth sticky snow and caused many problems across our region.We had a power outage do 3 days.Thousands of trees went down on hydro lines and a lot of the back roads were impassable leaving lots of people stranded.We heated the house with a couplè of buddy heaters and cooked on our bbq and my double burner outdoor stove.Melted snow to do dishes and flush toilet and had candle lit diners.Had a buddy up from Madison hunting deer and storm kind of put a damper on that.Had 3 blinds going.Ill have to wait till spring to get my gear from tgat one.Got all my buddies stuff out and had to go in with my snowmobile.Have one blind I can use and have broken a walking trail in to it.Lots of trees down getting in there and probably still dangerous in there with trees potentially ready to snap with snow load.Will be getting a generator just in case.But never had a outage that long.Borrowed a genny and could circulate my water from boiler and fill my pressure tank with water and a few lights.Have more snow now than the last few years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211115_142654_1637074225150.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	551.5 KB
ID:	330330   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211115_140655_1637074356817.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	542.2 KB
ID:	330332  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2021, 09:21 AM
Wallhanger

I heard that you got pounded, but didn't know it was that bad. I talked with a friend in Sioux Lookout whose wife was stranded in Thunder Bay. Glad to hear you got by OK. Hopefully, the blessing will be that it helps replenish lake levels.
Old 11-16-2021, 09:47 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by stjoeguy View Post
I heard that you got pounded, but didn't know it was that bad. I talked with a friend in Sioux Lookout whose wife was stranded in Thunder Bay. Glad to hear you got by OK. Hopefully, the blessing will be that it helps replenish lake levels.
It will help some.As I was melting snow you wouldn't beleive how much snow is needed.But everything helps.most melt off in spring tends to evaporate.We actually had quite of bit of rain this fall which had lake levels already coming up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2021, 09:58 AM
Wallhanger

Snowfalls like that create problems, but they sure are pretty.
Old 11-16-2021, 10:04 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Minnesota guy View Post
Snowfalls like that create problems, but they sure are pretty.
Diffenatly problems.Most back roads now plowed out.But your right about how pretty it is when your walking throufh it.
Old 11-16-2021, 01:01 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by prov1800 View Post
It will help some.As I was melting snow you wouldn't beleive how much snow is needed.But everything helps.most melt off in spring tends to evaporate.We actually had quite of bit of rain this fall which had lake levels already coming up
Now you know what it was like in the old pioneer days,,,,,,(everyday)
Old 11-16-2021, 01:40 PM
Wallhanger

I spent a couple of extended sessions my tracked skid-steer with a 4-in-1 bucket clearing our trails at home. The heavy-wet snow combined with the wind took down more big trees than normal, the spindly stuff is down every which way, but that is business as usual after this kind of snow. My estimate is that there are are over twice as many down trees as there were when we had the last wet/early snow problem. The trails to the remote lakes are going to be an challenge, the time spent clearing them by hand will be a big issue this winter and continue into the spring for tourist camp operators with boat caches and private camp owners a like.

As a side note, the walleye lakes are starting to freeze in the shallower sections. Included is a photo looking out my living room window, you can see where ice is already covering part of the lake.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ice (2).JPG
Views:	103
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	330344  
Old 11-16-2021, 03:46 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywagon View Post
I spent a couple of extended sessions my tracked skid-steer with a 4-in-1 bucket clearing our trails at home. The heavy-wet snow combined with the wind took down more big trees than normal, the spindly stuff is down every which way, but that is business as usual after this kind of snow. My estimate is that there are are over twice as many down trees as there were when we had the last wet/early snow problem. The trails to the remote lakes are going to be an challenge, the time spent clearing them by hand will be a big issue this winter and continue into the spring for tourist camp operators with boat caches and private camp owners a like.

As a side note, the walleye lakes are starting to freeze in the shallower sections. Included is a photo looking out my living room window, you can see where ice is already covering part of the lake.
Your absolutly right about trees down.Some areas worse than others but that caused 3 days of no power at my house.Got to thank all the hydro guys for putting 24/7 in.Not much ice in our area yet it's been warm.Took a pic at Eagle Lake dock today and have 50 km s/e wind blowing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20211116_152929_1637098445418.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	330356  
Old 11-16-2021, 05:11 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Your absolutly right about trees down.Some areas worse than others but that caused 3 days of no power at my house.Got to thank all the hydro guys for putting 24/7 in.Not much ice in our area yet it's been warm.Took a pic at Eagle Lake dock today and have 50 km s/e wind blowing.
Still looks like a go for fishing
Old 11-16-2021, 05:36 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckohlt View Post
Quote:
Still looks like a go for fishing
If you go take your auger just in case !