Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Frozen salted minnows - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 11-16-2021, 09:45 AM
Minnow

Default Frozen salted minnows

Any stores in Ontario have these for sale? Been going fishing in Manitoba and Saskatchewan for years but was going to bring wife and kids up to Ontario this summer. In Manitoba and Saskatchewan they are everywhere (live minnows prohibited) but I see a lot of doing it yourself subjects here for frozen salted minnows but nowhere to buy them in Ontario.

Is it possible?

Thx!

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2021, 09:50 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukats18 View Post
Any stores in Ontario have these for sale? Been going fishing in Manitoba and Saskatchewan for years but was going to bring wife and kids up to Ontario this summer. In Manitoba and Saskatchewan they are everywhere (live minnows prohibited) but I see a lot of doing it yourself subjects here for frozen salted minnows but nowhere to buy them in Ontario.

Is it possible?

Thx!

Dave
Clarks baits in Dryden and up on Cedar Lake sell frozen minnows now as tgere is big demand for them
Old 11-29-2021, 04:18 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukats18 View Post

Is it possible?

Thx!

Dave
Hi Dave--I recently contacted Bite Me Bait and Tackle in Nestor Falls about just this same thing. One of our trips scheduled for late May next year is to an outpost where live minnows are not allowed. Long story short, they can put together a large quantity of frozen minnows to accommodate most frozen minnow needs. As John stated earlier, many bait shops across Ontario will carry what you need.

Where in Ontario are you planning to fish?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2021, 04:53 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan walleye guy 2.0 View Post
Hi Dave--I recently contacted Bite Me Bait and Tackle in Nestor Falls about just this same thing. One of our trips scheduled for late May next year is to an outpost where live minnows are not allowed. Long story short, they can put together a large quantity of frozen minnows to accommodate most frozen minnow needs. As John stated earlier, many bait shops across Ontario will carry what you need.

Where in Ontario are you planning to fish?
I tried frozen minnows on 2 trips this fall,once they thaw they become rotten in a hurry,belly’s start splitting open it can be a stinky mess.probably best if you can salt them yourself up there.
Old 11-30-2021, 07:40 AM
Minnow

I've tried frozen minnows from bait shops up north. Havnt found any that worked very good after they thaw. Don't stay on the hook very well. Last couple years I got them from best baits from Ohio. If you can figure out how they make them and make them yourself when you're up there or maybe someone will make them for you before you get there. This year we used mostly artificial minnows and worms. Worked as good as the live ones we had.
Old 11-30-2021, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckohlt View Post
I tried frozen minnows on 2 trips this fall,once they thaw they become rotten in a hurry,belly’s start splitting open it can be a stinky mess.probably best if you can salt them yourself up there.
When frozen, they don't last long, as stated above. Around here, some of the bait dealers collect the ones which die in the bait tank and then freeze them, which already get a head start toward the mushy process. Even adding salt usually doesn't help to prevent the softness.

Bill
Old 11-30-2021, 05:20 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Krejca View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckohlt View Post
When frozen, they don't last long, as stated above. Around here, some of the bait dealers collect the ones which die in the bait tank and then freeze them, which already get a head start toward the mushy process. Even adding salt usually doesn't help to prevent the softness.

Bill
If seen them fill the containers at Clarks Baits with live minnows so those are not dead and mushy yet.Iam a lucky guy that can go and help myself there.As can there guests.In my book live bait is the only way to go.If your coming up to Canada and want to catch a bunch of walleyes I don't understand why you would want to use frozen minnows you still have to pay for.Can you catch fish on frozen minnows Yes.Will you have a better chance with a live minnow.Absolutely.No brainer.
Old 12-01-2021, 03:29 PM
trrrr

the "fermented" ones in the platic bags at Canadian tires , actually stay on the hook very good and present themselves well to fish.
i imagine they would work great at northern lodges and anywhere that normally presents a consistent bite.