Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Catching Walleyes In The Weeds - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-22-2021, 05:01 AM
Gary Korsgaden Gary Korsgaden is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Park Rapids, Minnesota
Posts: 3,691
Default Catching Walleyes In The Weeds

Must admit fishing the weeds for walleyes not my favorite. But would like to learn more. Basically when fishing weeds use a bright red/orange jig (Binkleman Jigs). Wondering if anyone cares to share some of their techniques...
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 11-22-2021, 05:31 AM
Real1 Real1 is offline
Minnow
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 57
Default In weeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Korsgaden View Post
Must admit fishing the weeds for walleyes not my favorite. But would like to learn more. Basically when fishing weeds use a bright red/orange jig (Binkleman Jigs). Wondering if anyone cares to share some of their techniques...
If the water is not too deep, I use a spinnerbait to catch walleyes in weeds.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-22-2021, 06:53 AM
Bill Krejca Bill Krejca is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Robins, Iowa, US.
Posts: 5,436
Default

In the past, I've had good results using a modified shad dart jig head with the lead removed so that the angle is maintained, slanting from the eye. I use an overhead spinner and a bright colored twister tail type plastic, also bright colored. Works well for me.

Bill
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 11-22-2021, 08:02 AM
waldowillie waldowillie is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Korsgaden View Post
Must admit fishing the weeds for walleyes not my favorite. But would like to learn more. Basically when fishing weeds use a bright red/orange jig (Binkleman Jigs). Wondering if anyone cares to share some of their techniques...
See WC Thread titled: Do you use a float on your lindy rig?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-22-2021, 08:36 PM
7 Mag's Avatar
7 Mag 7 Mag is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Plymouth, IN
Posts: 1,352
Default

I use Northland standup jigs and I’ve had success pitching a Tokyo rig with a leech or fathead.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-23-2021, 10:35 AM
Watertank1 Watertank1 is online now
Slot Fish
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Currently Lake Nebagamon, Wisconsin
Posts: 118
Default Eat your Weedies

Gary,

You might take a look at the Charlie Brewer Slider jig heads. They allow the grub body to be "Texas" rigged. (I prefer to stick a leech on the hook prior to embeding the hook point into the grub). Fish it light - 1/16 - 1/8 oz jig I prefer the light hooked crappie slider.
You can throw this rig into the heaviest submerged weeds and it will slip back to the weed edge.
If the bait does hang up - don't pull, shake the rod tip and help the bait climb up and over the offending weed and drop into the next pocket. Also works for slow trolling in cabbage weed.
I came up with this when fishing the submerged willows in Glendo reservoir in Wyoming, and have used it in other lakes trolling cabbage.
bestfishes - jim
PS once sold you a Lund boat seat years ago.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-23-2021, 06:37 PM
James F's Avatar
James F James F is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 174
Default

Cabbage weeds have all but disappeared in my area. I find Cabbage to be easier to fish than millfoil,and the other invasive weeds that started to show up in the late 60's and 70's. Just ticking the weed tops can be very productive. It takes patience and time to get the feel of what's going when fishing weeds. Slip bobbers and a long rod helps to get in and out of weed pockets. A lot of people make the mistake of casting too far and losing control over your presentation. Accuracy counts, especially in weeds and brush.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-23-2021, 07:31 PM
Gary Korsgaden Gary Korsgaden is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Park Rapids, Minnesota
Posts: 3,691
Default Recall the seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watertank1 View Post
Gary,

You might take a look at the Charlie Brewer Slider jig heads. They allow the grub body to be "Texas" rigged. (I prefer to stick a leech on the hook prior to embeding the hook point into the grub). Fish it light - 1/16 - 1/8 oz jig I prefer the light hooked crappie slider.
You can throw this rig into the heaviest submerged weeds and it will slip back to the weed edge.
If the bait does hang up - don't pull, shake the rod tip and help the bait climb up and over the offending weed and drop into the next pocket. Also works for slow trolling in cabbage weed.
I came up with this when fishing the submerged willows in Glendo reservoir in Wyoming, and have used it in other lakes trolling cabbage.
bestfishes - jim
PS once sold you a Lund boat seat years ago.
Was it a red one?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-24-2021, 10:22 AM
slayerfish's Avatar
slayerfish slayerfish is offline
Slot Fish
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: .Windswept Plains of Colorado
Posts: 94
Default

We use a 3"twister tail on an 1/8 oz. head in the weeds. Works fine, you'll get a few snags but lots of large eyes also.
__________________
'20 Lund 1875 Impact/150 Merc Pro XS
Lowrance 12Ti2
Minnkota 80 Spotlock
2016 Ram CCLB Cummins
All metal all the time.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-24-2021, 11:41 AM
Ltrain's Avatar
Ltrain Ltrain is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 3,173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real1 View Post
If the water is not too deep, I use a spinnerbait to catch walleyes in weeds.

There was a time I was not targeting walleye but rather bass and northerns in heavy slop. I was in 5 ft of water and did catch some nice walleyes on a white spinnerbait. Pleasant surprise.
__________________
2021 Angler Qwest 822 Pro Fish n Cruise
2005 Yamaha f150
2020 Tohatsu 9.9 efi w/Trollmaster
Minn kota 72" 112lb 36v Terrova
Lowrance Carbon 16
Lowrance HDS Carbon 12
Lowrance autopilot
Navico Precision-9
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
Lowrance 3in1 and HDI
Airmar tm150
2 84" Traxtech tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees
8 Bert's ratcheting rod holders
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.