Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Catching Walleyes In The Weeds - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 11-22-2021, 05:01 AM
Wallhanger

Default Catching Walleyes In The Weeds

Must admit fishing the weeds for walleyes not my favorite. But would like to learn more. Basically when fishing weeds use a bright red/orange jig (Binkleman Jigs). Wondering if anyone cares to share some of their techniques...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2021, 05:31 AM
Minnow

Default In weeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Korsgaden View Post
Must admit fishing the weeds for walleyes not my favorite. But would like to learn more. Basically when fishing weeds use a bright red/orange jig (Binkleman Jigs). Wondering if anyone cares to share some of their techniques...
If the water is not too deep, I use a spinnerbait to catch walleyes in weeds.
Old 11-22-2021, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

In the past, I've had good results using a modified shad dart jig head with the lead removed so that the angle is maintained, slanting from the eye. I use an overhead spinner and a bright colored twister tail type plastic, also bright colored. Works well for me.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2021, 08:02 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Korsgaden View Post
See WC Thread titled: Do you use a float on your lindy rig?
Old 11-22-2021, 08:36 PM
Wallhanger

I use Northland standup jigs and I’ve had success pitching a Tokyo rig with a leech or fathead.
Old 11-23-2021, 10:35 AM
Slot Fish

Default Eat your Weedies

Gary,

You might take a look at the Charlie Brewer Slider jig heads. They allow the grub body to be "Texas" rigged. (I prefer to stick a leech on the hook prior to embeding the hook point into the grub). Fish it light - 1/16 - 1/8 oz jig I prefer the light hooked crappie slider.
You can throw this rig into the heaviest submerged weeds and it will slip back to the weed edge.
If the bait does hang up - don't pull, shake the rod tip and help the bait climb up and over the offending weed and drop into the next pocket. Also works for slow trolling in cabbage weed.
I came up with this when fishing the submerged willows in Glendo reservoir in Wyoming, and have used it in other lakes trolling cabbage.
bestfishes - jim
PS once sold you a Lund boat seat years ago.
Old 11-23-2021, 06:37 PM
Keeper

Cabbage weeds have all but disappeared in my area. I find Cabbage to be easier to fish than millfoil,and the other invasive weeds that started to show up in the late 60's and 70's. Just ticking the weed tops can be very productive. It takes patience and time to get the feel of what's going when fishing weeds. Slip bobbers and a long rod helps to get in and out of weed pockets. A lot of people make the mistake of casting too far and losing control over your presentation. Accuracy counts, especially in weeds and brush.
Old 11-23-2021, 07:31 PM
Wallhanger

Default Recall the seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watertank1 View Post
Gary,

You might take a look at the Charlie Brewer Slider jig heads. They allow the grub body to be "Texas" rigged. (I prefer to stick a leech on the hook prior to embeding the hook point into the grub). Fish it light - 1/16 - 1/8 oz jig I prefer the light hooked crappie slider.
You can throw this rig into the heaviest submerged weeds and it will slip back to the weed edge.
If the bait does hang up - don't pull, shake the rod tip and help the bait climb up and over the offending weed and drop into the next pocket. Also works for slow trolling in cabbage weed.
I came up with this when fishing the submerged willows in Glendo reservoir in Wyoming, and have used it in other lakes trolling cabbage.
bestfishes - jim
PS once sold you a Lund boat seat years ago.
Was it a red one?
Old 11-24-2021, 10:22 AM
Slot Fish

We use a 3"twister tail on an 1/8 oz. head in the weeds. Works fine, you'll get a few snags but lots of large eyes also.
2016 Ram CCLB Cummins
All metal all the time.
Old 11-24-2021, 11:41 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real1 View Post
If the water is not too deep, I use a spinnerbait to catch walleyes in weeds.

There was a time I was not targeting walleye but rather bass and northerns in heavy slop. I was in 5 ft of water and did catch some nice walleyes on a white spinnerbait. Pleasant surprise.
Minn kota 72" 112lb 36v Terrova
Lowrance Carbon 16
Lowrance HDS Carbon 12
Lowrance autopilot
Navico Precision-9
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
Lowrance 3in1 and HDI
Airmar tm150
2 84" Traxtech tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees