Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Correct trailer hitch ball mount height for F250/Ranger 620 trailer - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 05-26-2019, 11:59 AM
Minnow

Default Correct trailer hitch ball mount height for F250/Ranger 620 trailer

Have new '19 F250 4WD on order(20" wheels). I pull a '02 Ranger 620. Anyone have similar vehicle/rig combo that could advise drop down height on ball mount bar? I'm sure it's going to be much different from previous vehicle I just sold('05 1500 Suburban).

As always, thanks for your input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2019, 06:56 PM
Wallhanger

I am not sure on the height for that combination but why not just buy something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Andersen-Hitc...38441763&psc=1

Then you have multiple settings to tow many different trailers.

2015 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab
2015 Nitro ZV18
200hp Optimax
15hp EFI Mercury Pro Kicker
Lowrance electronics
HDS9, HDS7, HDS7, Elite 5
MinnKota Terrova 112
Old 05-26-2019, 07:36 PM
Wallhanger

Not sure where you live, but according to Ford's inventory search tool, there are something like 50+ F-250 4x4 20" tire rigs on the lots within 20 miles of me. Why not stop by a dealer with a tape measure, measure the hitch height, determine what your trailer needs to be level, and get the appropriate insert?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dgmo5w7ddVw

HRG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2019, 12:26 AM
Wallhanger

I agree with the other poster. Get a 6 inch adjustable drop hitch. Unless you are only going to be towing your boat. You could get away with a non adjustable drop hitch then. The back of the truck might sink down a small amount with the boat on. That would mess up your measurements from a truck sitting on the lot. I have a 18 f350 I have been very happy with. Your truck may come with the 2.5 hitch receiver. If it does I would recommend getting a 2.5 inch trailer hitch. Not messing with the adapters to go down to 2 inch. You would have to check that before buying a hitch. Etrailer.com is not a bad place to look at hitches.
Old 05-27-2019, 02:11 AM
Minnow

I have 6 inch adjustable drop hitch on my F250 and work fine for my needs.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

I personally do not like to use adjustable tow bars because there is inevitable slp or play in the tow bar.

If it were my rig, I would buy a 4 inch drop tow bar and a 6 inch drop tow bar and put an appropriate sized ball on each hitch. Then, depending on what is needed, use the tow bar that is appropriate for the trailer.

Also, keep the boxes and if you find that you only use one tow bar all of the time, then return the unused tow bar.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...r%2Btow%2Bbars

Also, do your shins a favor and remove the tow bar when you are not using the trailer.

----------------------------
p.s.
I haul different trailers with my tow vehicle. I carry multiple height tow bars in my storage box in the back of the vehicle. Then, I simply insert the appropriate tow bar into the vehicle receiver hitch for the trailer being towed. I have a 10 inch difference in ball height due to the difference in trailers and the use of the different tow bars is a simple and elementary solution to the issue.

I greatly dislike solutions that are not as perfect as could be. I remember that I was riding with a friend who had a new vehicle and we were setting out for a long trip to Canada. He had stopped by to pick me up and I noticed that the ball was about 5 inches higher than it should be for level towing. On the way out of town, I had him stop by the trailer supply shop and I picked up the appropriate height drop tow bar to match his rig and trailer. Had the ball switched and we were off. I said to him, "My present to you for my peace of mind on this towing trip to keep things pulling square and level."

Easy to do, and no need to pull with a less than optimum setup.
Also, non adjustable tow bars of various drop depths are inexpensive and easy to switch.

Good luck
Old 05-27-2019, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

You might find that you could even have to go to a 10 inch drop bar.
Again, quite inexpensive for a fixed drop:

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...r%2Btow%2Bbars

Or you might find that you need an 8 inch drop bar:

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C....0.gNJWQ9fOFqE
Old 06-01-2019, 03:05 PM
Wallhanger

Check the Swap board.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:10 AM
Minnow

WC, thanks for the insight, 4" was the ticket, trailer is almost exactly level. Had to extend my light harness and will need to extend my safety wire from trailer. Surprisingly, Ranger trail chains were long enough but a bit awkward to insert hooks into new hitch. New truck is sweet and that diesel is sooo quiet
Old 07-20-2019, 09:26 AM
Minnow

Sorry folks, just realized the drop was incorrectly stated. Used a 6" drop. Also, had to go with a longer ball mount bar to accommodate my rock guard so the hole lines up for the ball mount bar pin to go through. It's those little things that take a few times to figure out.

Hope this help!