Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Reverse lights - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 06-13-2019, 03:14 PM
Keeper

Default Reverse lights

Anyone have reverse lights on their trailer? I知 thinking about getting 2 small led off road lights and mounting them to the trailer for reverse lights. I知 often putting the boat in the water in the dark and hate not being able to see behind me. It would also be very helpful backing the boat into the barn where I park it.

I知 assuming I should be able to run a hot wire Down each side then change my trailer plug from a 4 to 7 prong plug. Will this plan work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2019, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmaster7600 View Post
Anyone have reverse lights on their trailer? I知 thinking about getting 2 small led off road lights and mounting them to the trailer for reverse lights. I知 often putting the boat in the water in the dark and hate not being able to see behind me. It would also be very helpful backing the boat into the barn where I park it.

I知 assuming I should be able to run a hot wire Down each side then change my trailer plug from a 4 to 7 prong plug. Will this plan work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
More than likely the LED lights will each have two wires which will need extended to reach the trailer plug. One wire will connect to the ground terminal (#1) and the other wire will connect to the reverse terminal (#7).
Old 06-13-2019, 07:29 PM
Slot Fish

Your plan sounds good to me.

Adding a 7-pin connector has some additional benefits (interfaces with your truck’s reverse lights, allows for electric brakes, provides a hot wire to the trailer for charging, etc) but if you think you don’t need the reverse lighting capability all the time you can go another route that will also avoid having to mess with the truck’s wiring.

On the trailer side of the existing 4-flat connector you can tap power from the brown wire (the tail lights). Add a small weatherproof switch and install it on the winch stand. When you want to use the reverse lights engage the switch and it will power them up using the power from your existing taillight supply.

An uncle had equipped his duck hunting rig thusly and it worked great for him. He had added a work light to the winch stand too to assist in hooking up or launching in the dark. Worked great.

If you also add the worklight, watch the amps.

Lots of ways to skin the cat.

I’m planning to add reverse lights to my trailer too, but I already have the 7-pin since I have electric brakes.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2019, 11:18 PM
Charter Member

I have one wired into my trucks backup lights.
It's mounted by the winch stand. Good for loading the boat on the trailer.
If you want one for backing the trailer you need to move it to the back
of the trailer.