Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Ranger trailer excessive tongue movement?? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 06-14-2019, 07:30 AM
Keeper

Default Ranger trailer excessive tongue movement??

Ever since I bought my new '18 620, it seemed as though the trailer tongue really moved too easy in and out when I applied the brakes and accelerated. There was a definitely louder "clunk" noise when I took off from a stop than my old Ranger trailer. Told that to my dealer and said it was normal.

Early this spring, took the boat into the dealer to get some warranty work and told them to look over the brakes and tongue and make sure things were working properly. They said they did and everything was fine. When I drove it home, it seemed to be doing the same thing, and also now making a groaning noise when taking off and braking, again from the movement in the tongue.

Well, due to a too busy spring, just got the boat out yesterday to get it ready for a trip to Canada. Took it to a local lake to make sure everything was working, and the trailer was still making this noise. It just seems to me that the trailer tongue moves far too easy, and don't why that noise is happening? I can block the trailer wheels and push on the front of the trailer, and move the tongue in, just with myself pushing on it. Granted it is hard to do, and it does not go very far. When you pull the boat slowly and walk beside it, stop and start with the truck, you can see the tongue sliding back and forth real easy.

I am going to call the dealer again today, just losing a little faith in their ability, due to past issues, and due to the warranty work that they did to improve my wiring to my Terrova looks like the problem will most likely happen again.
Any ideas on what to do? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2019, 09:55 AM
Wallhanger

Sounds like something wrong with the brakes. I'd check the brake fluid level first. Then see if any fluid is leaking anywhere.....could be a very small drip/wet spot. If that all looks good I'd top of the fluid and bleed the brakes. May have some air in the line...of course the question is how did it get in there.

Marty
Old 06-17-2019, 12:30 AM
Charter Member

Oly 67.

I wonder?

Here is a .pdf file on a standard trailer braking system:

https://mcclaintrailers.com/wp-conte...A80.pdf?x95501

Look at the picture on page 2.
Note the shock absorber that is mounted above the linkage in the inside of the trailer tongue.

The shock absorber is to prevent the exact random movement of your tongue when just going along the road.

I wonder if your braking system comes equipped with a shock absorber as shown in the manual and if it is equipped with the shock absorber, is it connected and is it functioning correctly.

Without a doubt, if there is no shock absorber in the tongue, you would be getting the exact too easy in and out movement of which you speak.

-----------------------------
You should be able to look at the tongue of your trailer and you may be able to find product numbers and or other numbers that refer to the particular braking system that is being used on the trailer.

Best wishes.

Best wishes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2019, 05:53 AM
Charter Member

probably just needs to have the brakes bled. Maybe they didnt do a good enough job when the trailer was built

I had a similar problem at one point. Was just air in the lines after I replaced my master it took a few tries to get all the air out
Dad shot the little fellow.

Mary had a little pig.
Her father shot it dead.
Now it goes to school with her,
Between two hunks of bread.