Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Brakes on both axles of your double axle trailer? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 07-11-2019, 01:21 PM
Wallhanger

Default Brakes on both axles of your double axle trailer?

Do you have brakes on one or both axles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2019, 01:52 PM
Wallhanger

I've had two of the identical trailers, pulling the identical boat. First had brakes on both axles, only on one axle with this trailer. Night and day difference. I'd never buy a dual axle trailer again without brakes on both axles.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:05 PM
Wallhanger

My Ranger 619DVS tandem trailer had surge brakes on one axle. My Skeeter WX2190 tandem trailer has surge brakes on both axles. Skeeter weighs at least 1000 pounds more with a bigger heavier hull, heavier motor, kicker, more fuel, etc. Both were adjusted via air shocks on the truck to tow level.

It is remarkable the difference using the exact same tow vehicle (Ram 1500 4x4). Both tow beautifully and I actually like the Ranger trailer better for loading (and looks)...but when it comes to actually stopping the difference is night and day. I can feel the Skeeter trailer engage and really slow down the trailer and the truck - I'm not working the brakes on the truck nearly as aggressively to get a good result.

Makes a huge difference and is worth the extra $$ for safety. Stopping 10,000 pounds at 70mph in an emergency situation? I'll take all the help I can get.

Good luck!

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2019, 03:12 PM
Wallhanger

What you both are saying makes perfect sense to me. It is interesting that as I spec out a new boat the salesman says there is no need to spend the extra $$'s on the second set of brakes. My over engineering nature tells me otherwise. But, practical first experience is always welcome input.

Marty
Old 07-11-2019, 03:42 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty59 View Post
What you both are saying makes perfect sense to me. It is interesting that as I spec out a new boat the salesman says there is no need to spend the extra $$'s on the second set of brakes. My over engineering nature tells me otherwise. But, practical first experience is always welcome input.

Marty
Definitely get the second axle brakes. As C&B said, you actually feel the trailer assisting with braking with dual brakes, instead of feeling it's weight pushing you. Quick stopping distance isn't even close to comparable.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:45 PM
Keeper

I go one step further with all my trailers and dump the surge brakes for electric.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:46 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty59 View Post

Marty
Moral of the story... salesmen are only 1/2 as smart as they would like you to think they are!
Old 07-11-2019, 06:36 PM
Wallhanger

I have a 2015 zv18 and bought the trailer with brakes on only 1 axle. My 2015 Silverado pulls and stops it just fine but my brakes on my truck had to be changed at 28k on the front. I now have just over 50k on the truck and need to change all 4 corners. When and if I ever get another new boat it will have brakes on both axles. I used to have a 25ft Mariah Z250 sport boat. It was heavier than my zv18 and it had brakes on both axles and was much easier on my vehicle to stop. I think the second brake upgrade is only around $300 so it is money well spent. I never had a new boat ordered to my specs before the zv18 so I didn't really know how some of the things I went without would have been well worth the coin to begin with. When and if I do it all over again, I will order the extras.

2015 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab
2015 Nitro ZV18
200hp Optimax
15hp EFI Mercury Pro Kicker
Lowrance electronics
HDS9, HDS7, HDS7, Elite 5
MinnKota Terrova 112
Old 07-12-2019, 04:46 PM
Minnow

I have a ZV18 as well. I have brakes on both axles and tow with a Toyota Tundra. As mentioned above, you can really feel the extra stopping power. Before this i had a 1950 Tyee with single axle brakes. The dual disks make a huge difference. I just got lucky. They came with the deal.