Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
License Plate on Boat Trailer - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 04-20-2015, 02:07 PM
Minnow

Question License Plate on Boat Trailer

After a number of years backing up in driveway and hitting dip my trailer license plate is torn. I thought of turning the trailer light over so that the plate could be mounted above the light. Don't know if license plate light can be shown from bottom of license plate instead of top or side. Getting a new plate, it would just happen again. Do they make a license plate light that could be mounted somehow above or off to the side of the plate independent of rear trailer light. Would appreciated any suggestions. Thanks in advance and be safe out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2015, 02:18 PM
Wallhanger

Gary,
I made a couple of rubber straps to hold my plate, so it could flex as needed.

HRG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0159.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	148417  
Old 04-20-2015, 02:57 PM
Wallhanger

After mine tore off similarly, I just mounted it on the trailer fender. Still visible enough, but won't tear off now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2015, 07:42 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
Gary,
I made a couple of rubber straps to hold my plate, so it could flex as needed.

HRG
That is an awesome idea right there.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:01 PM
Keeper

I have it mounted with a stainless steel hinge
Old 04-20-2015, 08:29 PM
Keeper

Default License plates

Ditto, I mounted mine on a swing either way stainless steel hinge. Seen too many license plates on launch ramps and in the water. From my experience the ability for the plate to move when hit will allow it to stay on your trailer.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:09 PM
Keeper

HRG....are you related in any way to REW?
Hmmmmmm...
Old 04-22-2015, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

On another trailer which I had, I just used several very large split rings to allow the plate to swing free. The rings were attached to the license holder. Can't remember what kind nor where I got 'em, this happens as one continues to gain great wisdom and maturity.

I previously got home from a trip to discover only the top portion of my securely attached aluminum plate remaining.

Bill
Old 04-22-2015, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

Talk to your legislators and have them change the license laws.

In MN, the law was changed some years ago so that for trailers under a certain size, do not require a yearly fixed license plate.

Rather, there is a one time trailer registration and a sticker is given to the owner with the fee payment. The sticker is affixed to the tongue of the trailer on the drivers side of the trailer so that it may be easily seen by a passing patrol man.

It is very much appreciated that we no longer have to have plates on most of our boat trailers.

Plates are still required for larger trailers. (3000 lbs or larger)

http://www.dmv.org/mn-minnesota/othe...f-vehicles.php
Old 06-19-2019, 05:29 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunkerhunter View Post
After a number of years backing up in driveway and hitting dip my trailer license plate is torn. I thought of turning the trailer light over so that the plate could be mounted above the light. Don't know if license plate light can be shown from bottom of license plate instead of top or side. Getting a new plate, it would just happen again. Do they make a license plate light that could be mounted somehow above or off to the side of the plate independent of rear trailer light. Would appreciated any suggestions. Thanks in advance and be safe out there.
Mounting a license plate onto your fender is a good solution as long as you have a light shinning on the plate after dark. We have a boat trailer and almost losing our license plate using the plastic holders. We switched to a metal holder and eventually lost our plate after the rivets corroded. Losing and replacing a license plate is a hassle here in NY. I'm a mechanical engineer and created several solutions to this problem using high grade multiply fabric reinforced rubber. We have solutions to trailer lamp and bracket mounted applications. Go to our website. Our solutions are flexible, durable, corrosion proof, good in cold temperatures, good UV resistance and long lasting. Go to www.sureplate4u.com. Happy Boating!