Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
License Plate on Boat Trailer - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 06-19-2019, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunkerhunter View Post
After a number of years backing up in driveway and hitting dip my trailer license plate is torn. I thought of turning the trailer light over so that the plate could be mounted above the light. Don't know if license plate light can be shown from bottom of license plate instead of top or side. Getting a new plate, it would just happen again. Do they make a license plate light that could be mounted somehow above or off to the side of the plate independent of rear trailer light. Would appreciated any suggestions. Thanks in advance and be safe out there.
Turning the "trailer light" over and mounting it upside down may not work as you intend. A good share of these lights are "combination" units which include (A) taillight (B) license light (C) side marker light. Mounting a combination light upside down, would render the side maker useless as it would be facing towards to inside.

Yes one can purchase an independent license plate light. These come with or without a bracket to hold the license plate. https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Tra...icense%20Plate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2019, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

Several folks that I have known, mount the licence plate on the side loading guides on the trailer.

They use an illuminated license plate frame similar to the halo lights found on many newer vehicles.

For convenience, mount the licence plate vertically to occupy less width.

It is monted high, never gets wet, never gets hit by road junk and is always visible to the rear - as the law requires night or day.

https://www.superatv.com/universal-l...SABEgLOBPD_BwE

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/us/oxfo...ight-oxfox111/

-----------------------------------------------
Here, for example are the trailer regulations for the state of MN:

BOAT TRAILERS
Dimensions
• The maximum length of a boat trailer and
boat is 45 feet.
• No trailer load may exceed 8 ½ feet wide or
13 ½ feet high.
Lights
• Two red tail lights, license plate light
(not required on trailers with permanent
registration) and two red reflectors are
required on the rear of all trailers.
• Signal and brake lamps are recommended
on all trailers and required whenever the
signals of the towing vehicle are not visible
to the other drivers.
• Trailers over 80 inches wide also require
front and rear clearance lamps, and

============================
Notice that it states that the license plate - if required needs to be at the rear of the trailer and that it needs to be illuminated. It does not state that the license needs to be horizontal or that it needs to be on the bottom of the trailer. Therefore it is legal to have the license mounted high and vertical as long as it is at the back or the rig and lighted and visible.

Good luck
Old 06-19-2019, 09:39 AM
Wallhanger

You guys realize that this is a 4 year old thread brought up by somebody trying to sell a product, don't you? I've already sent an alert to the Mods.

HRG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2019, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

HRG,
4 years old, or 4 minutes old, always a few questions on this subject.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:27 PM
Wallhanger

Good topic. I have had all sorts of trouble with my plate attachments. Started using cable ties, and now and then, add more. Doesn’t wear the metal and is flexible.