Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Greasing Bearings - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 05-24-2019, 09:54 AM
Minnow

Default Greasing Bearings

After coming home, noticed grease splatter on tires and noticed the rubber caps are a little dry rotted. The hubs were cool to the touch after 5 hours so apparently I didn't lose much grease.

Picking up new caps today and I wanted to "top off" the grease. 325 mile trip tomorrow

Question - When adding grease, do you jack up trailer and rotate the tire as you add grease? Some You Tube videos show both with wheel jacked up and others with wheel on the ground.

I always get bearing checked every 2 years so I haven't done any maintenance myself. Just bought my first grease gun

Any thoughts? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2019, 11:08 AM
Keeper

If it is a Dexter hub/axle, then yes jack it up and spin the tire while putting the new grease in.

They hold a lot of grease, so grab 2 tubes of grease. Keep spinning the tire and putting the grease in until you see the new grease push all of the old stuff out. Lubrimatic Marine Grease has been great for me personally.

Last edited by jb_wi; 05-24-2019 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:11 AM
Wallhanger

I'm assuming you have bearing buddies or something similar which I do also.

I'm probably doing it wrong according to the experts, but I have never had a bearing go bad. Anyway, this is how I maintain my trailer wheels.

I give mine a few shots of grease occasionally throughout the season and stop when I can see the cap start moving outward. I try not to give the bearings too much grease......just enough to make the cap move outward and it doesn't take more than a few shots of grease.
Occasionally, I jack up each side of my trailer and spin the wheels. I check to make sure they spin easily without any obvious grinding noises. I also check the in and out play on each wheel. A very slight in and out play is what I'm looking for If everything seems good, I drop them down and assume they're good to go.
I also stop occasionally on the road and touch each hub. I'm looking for them to be slightly warm to the touch but not hot. If a hub is hot, there's a problem brewing.
I also pay close attention to tire pressure and check tire pressures prior to every fishing outing. I rotate my trailer tires regularly as well to keep the wear even.
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2019, 12:39 PM
Minnow

I have no idea if its a dexter hub/axle. It is a Trailmaster trailer 2008 supporting my 1725 Lund Explorer. It has an Axis Safe-T-lube system to lubricate bearings. Thats all I know. Never had a problem in 11 years.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:47 PM
Minnow

Looking on Trailmaster websight, I think it is a Dexter E-Z lube set-up. I don't even know if I need more grease, just noticed a bad cap and some splatter. I have the caps now.

I went to autostore and they had marine grease that I purchased. Don't know if it is the Lithium complex NCGI #2 grease they recommend, I just wanted to "top it off".

Any problem with using a few shots of the 'generic' marine grease to get me to my destination tomorrow? There is grease right at the cap.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:25 PM
Keeper

Hopefully this image matches you, https://www.google.com/search?q=axis...1KVjR9p1KKxEOM .
Follow the arrows. Grease in on left center. Eventually the old grease flows out on the left outside of center. Jack it up and spin tire while you pump. You can take a drive first to warm it up a bit.

Mixing requires details on what you have today and what you want to use. Search on Grease. There is a recent micing post.

Last edited by Lazy Ike; 05-24-2019 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:15 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper61 View Post
Looking on Trailmaster websight, I think it is a Dexter E-Z lube set-up. I don't even know if I need more grease, just noticed a bad cap and some splatter. I have the caps now.

I went to autostore and they had marine grease that I purchased. Don't know if it is the Lithium complex NCGI #2 grease they recommend, I just wanted to "top it off".

Any problem with using a few shots of the 'generic' marine grease to get me to my destination tomorrow? There is grease right at the cap.
Since the cap was split..have you had it in the water? Generally hubs heat a little when driven, then if you back it into water, the temp change causes a slight vacuum effect and can draw water in through the cracked cap. You'll be able to tell if the grease looks milky or brown. I pump the new grease in until the old is coming out, and each hub holds quite a lot of grease.

It's just what I do..your situation may be different.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:29 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper61 View Post

Don't just top it off.

Trailmasters are Axis Safe-T Lube which is exactly the same as the Dexter EZ Lube. They enable you to completely flush the old grease and contaminants with fresh grease without disassembly. You should be doing this annually.

Here is how:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT0RKDGgDm8

Do not mix grease "types". Likely Lithium Complex is what had been in your hubs. This type works well. Stick with it for now. However Calcium Sulfonate is a bit better. But they don't mix. So unless you decide to totally disassemble the hubs and completely clean and repack, the Lithium Complex is fine. If you flush them annually you should not need to disassemble until the inner seals are worn out and start spitting grease on the inside of your wheels. You can switch grease types then. Eyeball those seals regularly. In fact, if 11 years old, they might be due. Inspect them closely !

If unsure of the type of grease you bought, Any Auto Parts store carries Lucas "Red N Tacky" Lithium Complex. Go find a tube of that. You will need a 14 oz tube, (2 of them if a tandem).
https://lucasoil.com/products/grease...n-tacky-grease

If you decide it's time for a tear down, then switch to Calcium Sulfonate.
Lucas Marine Calcium Sulfonate (Read the labels closely,old stock was Lithium)
https://lucasoil.com/products/marine...-marine-grease
Or Lubrimatic Calcium Sulfonate :
https://www.easternmarine.com/marine...artridge-11402

Last edited by MarkG; 05-24-2019 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:10 PM
Wallhanger

Stick with the Lithium Complex grease as it's recommended by Dexter.

I have been using the Red N Tacky for many years without any problems.

It's best if you have another person spin the wheel while pumping the grease in and ALWAYS use a manual grease gun.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 05-28-2019, 10:04 AM
Minnow

Couldn't find the Lucas grease but found a marine grease at local auto parts store. When I removed the ripped cap, the oil almost oozed out so i assume water had penetrated. Added the new grease until all i got was new grease on both wheels.

Checked bearings midway into the trip in Greenbay and hobs were completely cool. Trip was completed and now the boat is living in the U.P until October so I will probable change the grease to lucas before the return trip.

Should the bearings be removed and cleaned? Is it necessary? As long as the bearings have adequate and good grease, shouldn't they last for years? I wouldn't do the servicing myself but might be a good idea when I get the boat winterized.

Thanks for the information