Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Trailers in Mn - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 05-24-2019, 06:59 PM
Wallhanger

Default Trailers in Mn

I just moved to Mn and I’m confused on the laws regarding needing a license for the boat trailer. Can anyone here help sort this out? Same question regarding title?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2019, 05:32 AM
Wallhanger

Go to your local DMV they can give you the scoop. I think you can get lifetime trailer license for under 3,000 lbs. But i donít know if that applies to boats.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:04 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
I just moved to Mn and I’m confused on the laws regarding needing a license for the boat trailer. Can anyone here help sort this out? Same question regarding title?
From the DMV web site:
You do not have to officially title a boat trailer if it is for less than 4,500 lbs. Unless there is a lien on it.

B CLASS TRAILER TAX
(3,000 Pounds GVW – Lifetime Registration)
Lifetime registration for trailers registered at a gross weight of 3,000 pounds or less is $55.00 as prescribed by
Minnesota Statutes 168.013.

My trailer was mis-registered as having a higher weight limit, so I have to get yearly tabs that cost $15. The registration can be corrected, but it is a major hassle.

The boat has to be registered with the DNR separately.

Call your local registrars office, to verify what paperwork you need to bring with to register the boat and trailer appropriately.

The DMV site is really hard to navigate to find the above information....

Last edited by GBS; 05-25-2019 at 07:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2019, 07:10 AM
Wallhanger

Thanks I did look at the website and got a headache. I knew I could get answers here. Thanks.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

GBS,
Actually, changing the title is very easy.
Bring the manufacturers model number and specification sheet with you, as well as any sales documents and the title to the DMV.

If the trailer is not too old and the manufacturing sticker with the weight data on it, you could also take a picture of the sticker and bring a print of the picture with you to the DMV to validate your claim of weight change on the trailer.

They will do a title change for you at a cost of about $10 and you should have the new title back by Christmas or sooner - depending on the DMV computer system updates.

At that time however, you can also get the permenant trailer stickers and remove the licence plates from the trailer and any separate licence plate light you might not want on the trailer.

Best wishes.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:47 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
GBS,
They will do a title change for you at a cost of about $10 and you should have the new title back by Christmas or sooner - depending on the DMV computer system updates.

Best wishes.
Are you serious? Up to 7 months to get a title?

2015 Alumacraft T-195
Yamaha 200
Ulterra w/Ilink 112
Helix 10SI w/GPS

2019 Lowe 1852 Aura
Old 05-25-2019, 03:44 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderjet View Post
Are you serious? Up to 7 months to get a title?

Four months to renew a drivers license!

Frank
Old 05-25-2019, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

thunder jet,
A couple of years ago here in MN. the state started an upgrade to their DMV software which dealt with Titles, license etc.

There have been a lot of Hiccups along the way, so actually a Title change can take quite a long time.

Now, that you mention it, I had a title correction on my Wife's car and it was submitted about 4 months ago, and we still do not have the corrected title back yet.

Such is the nature of government.

Take care
Old 05-26-2019, 07:36 AM
Keeper

When I moved to Minnesota I immediately started to have problems with the DMV.... it seemed to be nearly impossible to do just about anything. Finally after two years of having out of state plates and driverís license, I did the only rational thing possible to make myself legal... I moved.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:09 AM
Wallhanger

I'm a little confused.........if the trailer doesn't require registration do you still get a license plate for the back of the trailer because many other states do require a plate and I know here in NYS you will be pulled over for not having one.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra