Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Home Grown Tackle: Crawler Harness - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Home Grown Tackle > HGT Archives

Old 12-21-2011, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishincrazy View Post
Here's another question in regards to hardware Paul you said you like the plastic clevis,now I've read that the plastic clevis is better for bigger blades like #5 an up?The metal clevis is better for smaller blades.Any truth to this?

FC
I use it for all, but I rarely do anything very small (not sure what #). I did make some once for panfish that were very small and used metal. It probably takes a hair more to spin the plastic, then again, it may have less resistance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2011, 12:48 PM
Wallhanger

Location: Philadelphia PA Suburbs/The mighty Delaware/A dirty beach in Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
I use it for all, but I rarely do anything very small (not sure what #). I did make some once for panfish that were very small and used metal. It probably takes a hair more to spin the plastic, then again, it may have less resistance.
Good deal Paul Thank you!

FC
Old 12-21-2011, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Just make sure the quick change clevis you buy has the nipple on the hook like these. I have had fish throw the blade several times without them. I posted about this a while back and Kgone filled me in on this secret. I haven't lost a blade yet.

http://www.crittergittertackle.com/i...roducts_id=231

Last edited by Pezman38; 12-21-2011 at 01:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2011, 10:24 PM
Wallhanger

The clevises with the 'keeper' will still throw blades every once in a while, especially larger blades. I run #6-#8 blades frequently. When I do, I put a dab of Super Glue Gel between the void. Never lost a blade since I started doing it. #8s aren't cheap. The glue will pop right off when you go to change a blade.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:58 PM
Keeper

I use a hard monofilament like Berkley XT in 10 to 14 lb test when making my worm harnesses. Knot strength is important and fluorocarbon has terrible knot strength.

I much prefer making my own worm harnesses because commercial worm harnesses with high quality hooks and swivels do not exist. I like making them with 3 hooks.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:32 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabluz View Post
I use a hard monofilament like Berkley XT in 10 to 14 lb test when making my worm harnesses. Knot strength is important and fluorocarbon has terrible knot strength.

I much prefer making my own worm harnesses because commercial worm harnesses with high quality hooks and swivels do not exist. I like making them with 3 hooks.
Hey There Db you mention something I had another question about......

SWIVELS now in a quality harness rig I assume you use Spro swivels or swivels of similar quality.

FC
Old 12-23-2011, 10:39 PM
Keeper

Default Crawler harnesses 'R' us

I'm just glad I finally found a website where people care about crawler harness details... I tie mine with 15# fluoro, and with the appropriate knot, tied correctly, have had zero issues with knot strength, including big fish in the mix. Sorry for the blurry detail of the quick change clevis... Here's an example of one of my 'daily drivers' :Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0627.jpg
Views:	1987
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	12828
p.s. Gamakatsu Walleye wide gap hooks have significantly reduced embarrassing pop-offs

Last edited by Litchfieldwalleye; 12-23-2011 at 10:43 PM.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:52 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litchfieldwalleye View Post
I'm just glad I finally found a website where people care about crawler harness details... I tie mine with 15# fluoro, and with the appropriate knot, tied correctly, have had zero issues with knot strength, including big fish in the mix. Sorry for the blurry detail of the quick change clevis... Here's an example of one of my 'daily drivers' :Attachment 12828
p.s. Gamakatsu Walleye wide gap hooks have significantly reduced embarrassing pop-offs
What knot are you using?

FC
Old 12-24-2011, 07:55 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre Robusto View Post
The clevises with the 'keeper' will still throw blades every once in a while, especially larger blades. I run #6-#8 blades frequently. When I do, I put a dab of Super Glue Gel between the void. Never lost a blade since I started doing it. #8s aren't cheap. The glue will pop right off when you go to change a blade.

There you go!

So I guess with everyone seeming to use the quick change clevis you guy's change out frequently until you find the right color,size,and style?
When your pulling a harness where do you start?I mean wht is usually your first presentation?

FC
Old 12-24-2011, 08:05 AM
Wallhanger

I usually start with the old faithfuls that have proven themselves over the last few seasons. I'll make sure to have a few blades out with different colored backs. If I know I'm over fish, but can't get anything going, I'll start throwing out some different sizes and shaped blades (choppers, hatchets, indianas, single willows, ect).