Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Canvas army tent - strong musty smell - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 10-17-2015, 06:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjshorthorn View Post
We used to air out our old canvas tent each year and waterproof it before summer camping trips. Did it smell? Yup....just like an old tent. Did it leak? Yup.......with a good rain we would get dripped on and the floor was wet even with a tarp underneath and a trench around the tent.. Did it serve our camping needs? Yup.......I wouldn't trade those trips in for anything. I can still remember that smell while drifting off to the best sleep a young kid could ever have.

Those canvas tents were heavy!!!!!

PjShorthorn.
Interestingly enough, maybe - I still have my Dad's still usable old tents - a heavy canvas wall tent - no floor, but with a ground cloth that sufficed as a floor. He bought this one used in 1926 for his first trip to Minnesota, same year. The other is a "cook tent" dated 1932. It is a lean-to designed to be tied between two trees. If either tents could speak, the tales they could tell!

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2015, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Thumbs up Good Mems from the 40-50s for me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjshorthorn View Post
We used to air out our old canvas tent each year and waterproof it before summer camping trips. Did it smell? Yup....just like an old tent. Did it leak? Yup.......with a good rain we would get dripped on and the floor was wet even with a tarp underneath and a trench around the tent.. Did it serve our camping needs? Yup.......I wouldn't trade those trips in for anything. I can still remember that smell while drifting off to the best sleep a young kid could ever have.

Those canvas tents were heavy!!!!!

PjShorthorn.
I returned the tent favor to my Kids in the 60-70s when Uncle Sam turned me loose
Great times and Mems... Most of our family trips w/Dad when I was a young boy in the 40-50s was to all over the UP & lower Mi for Great vacations & super fishing...

I might add ~ most of the tent trips I made w/my family in the 60-70s were w/the boat to Lake Erie/South Bass along with some trips to Indiana/Michigan...

Fishing w/buds is a fun social event, while
Angling is a serious skill-growth rung-climbing event with loads of self-improvement satisfaction w/each step... Hang a Hog, Not a Smelt

Ray da sUMo 'Chaser

Last edited by Raybob; 10-17-2015 at 07:23 AM. Reason: addition
Old 02-17-2020, 08:35 PM
kengco

Default Musty smell is military treatment

The classic musty smell that all soldiers recognize is military waterproof and fungus treatment. It cannot be removed from the canvas. It also was used in kids pup tents in early 60s from places like Sears. It was an alternative to arsenic treatment that worked but was toxic.
I love the smell, it smells like ...... Victory!
Old 02-19-2020, 08:01 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Krejca View Post
Ah, the almost forgotten old tent smell of camping. Brings back a plethora of memories!

Bill
My thoughts exactly, brought back old memory's of camping as a kid. All tents had that smell. Good memories!
Old 02-19-2020, 05:44 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac View Post
respectfully, I can't think of any situation where at my age I would sleep in a tent.
Just spewed beer all over my screen......but the last time I slept in a tent was the last time I will on purpose sleep in a tent, never again! Aug 1996 Boundary Waters, Canadian side, set up camp after about 30 miles against the wind and 6 portages, then came the rain, 5 straight days...the bear that ate all of our dry goods didn't seem to mind it. Like I said, last time.
Old 02-19-2020, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

I'm 72 y/o and I'd still be tent camping if my wife could. She has MS and with a walker, can't navigate through the door way of a tent.
Old 02-20-2020, 04:34 AM
Wallhanger

Going camping and fishing with Camoclad in a few weeks in the north Georgia Mountains chasing anything that bites. The forecast is perfect.......mid 50s during the day and low 30s at night. Gonna be tent camping in his old (1960s era ) canvas tent that has a slight hint of mustiness and screams ........Iím camping !!!! Wouldnít have it any other way.

2 fellas and the head camp dog in charge..Ms Hazel will be acting like kids again for 4 days. As long as the black bear and Sasquatches play nice ....all will be well.

PjShorthorn
Old 02-20-2020, 05:31 AM
Wallhanger

This thread is old and I sold that tent long ago...
Old 02-22-2020, 04:44 PM
Wallhanger

Holy cats!! Didn't even notice that.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:23 AM
Wallhanger

But the stories and memories are new. For the youngsters out there your trips aren't just trips, they are the memories you will cherish when you get older.