Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Side Imaging Left side Helix 10 - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 09-12-2019, 11:43 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog View Post
Other than the twin HDSI, (which has valid info on SI at 39 mph). I agree that the images I posted dont show any value in the one SI image. Basically, that is because I have not taken the time to find the sweet spot, because my DI is performing well. Again, Im going 43 in these images also. Maybe SI would be better at 28, when theres more transducer in the water on my Skeeter..

I can see walleyes at 10 MPH on SI, but thats about it to recognize fish.
You have to set it up. They are awesome when they work, I can see cribs, structures, tree's I can see how tall they are, sunken boats, schools of fish and so on. Jason Halfin makes an excellent DVD series on setup and hosts classes.
Humminbird Helix G2 x 1
Talon
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2019, 11:52 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Other than the twin HDSI, (which has valid info on SI at 39 mph). I agree that the images I posted dont show any value in the one SI image. Basically, that is because I have not taken the time to find the sweet spot, because my DI is performing well. Again, Im going 43 in these images also. Maybe SI would be better at 28, when theres more transducer in the water on my Skeeter..

I can see walleyes at 10 MPH on SI, but thats about it to recognize fish.
My point was that if he can get a left side SI by trimming his motor out a bit then he has an option of not spending $400 and the time to install it as there is little benefit to SI at speed anyway. I can get images like yours but I chose to spend money for the new HW chirp 2D and "Y" cable.($100 I already had the cable) And get excellent 2D Low Q images at my top speed.(52) Very useful and my Mega Ducer is safe above the hull. We all have choices and preferences. Good Fish'n Bob
Old 09-12-2019, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Bob View Post
My point was that if he can get a left side SI by trimming his motor out a bit then he has an option of not spending $400 and the time to install it as there is little benefit to SI at speed anyway. I can get images like yours but I chose to spend money for the new HW chirp 2D and "Y" cable.($100 I already had the cable) And get excellent 2D Low Q images at my top speed.(52) Very useful and my Mega Ducer is safe above the hull. We all have choices and preferences. Good Fish'n Bob
We do all have choices and preferences. Thats the beauty. Different strokes for different folks. I could run full speed in my Crestliner, and get imaging as shown in picture 1. When I bought my Skeeter, I opted to go with the glassed in 2d and my transducer mounted "safe" . I hated the fact that I lost all imaging at about 5 mph, because of where it was mounted. That set up lasted less than a week, and I moved my imaging transducer down where it was at risk again and thats where its rode since.. I dont use SI at speeds, so I havent taken the time to fine tune if, but its good enough to read fish up to ten, when the fish get too small to see at that speed, and its good enough for the DI to perform at speed, which I like,and prefer. All fishin is good! (and its getting closer to my fishing season.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:08 AM
Wallhanger

I was considering a left right set up to avoid the constant trimming the motor and came across this video and notice the location of the transducer. My boat has this same step to the transom an was wondering if this is where it should have been installed. The dealer that installed it put it on the transom not below the step like shown here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Transducer.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	312882  
Humminbird Helix G2 x 1
Talon
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Old 09-15-2019, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbheli View Post
I was considering a left right set up to avoid the constant trimming the motor and came across this video and notice the location of the transducer. My boat has this same step to the transom an was wondering if this is where it should have been installed. The dealer that installed it put it on the transom not below the step like shown here.
I wouldnt put it there. Id be extremely worried that it would starve the prop, or the intake with the water it displaces coming off the hull.

too close to center for me.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:38 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
I wouldnt put it there. Id be extremely worried that it would starve the prop, or the intake with the water it displaces coming off the hull.

too close to center for me.
Why is that a problem ? Please explain. Thx
Humminbird Helix G2 x 1
Talon
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Old 09-16-2019, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbheli View Post
Why is that a problem ? Please explain. Thx
Short answer: The reason they specify 15 inches off center is so there is no chance of starving the prop of water (spinout) , or disrupting the flow of water into the cooling intakes of outboards. Id also be worried that the transducer would be pinging the underside of the boat hull mounted that deep under the step.

In the picture you posted, theres probably not enough height in the transom to move the xducer to the side.(which isnt all that common in todays boats ) My skeeter has a step like your picture, and my transducer is mounted to the bottom of the step,(not the transoms) with a Transducer Shield and Saver. Its considerably more difficult mounting there to find the sweet spot, because you are not dealing with stock mount adjustments, but more with adjustments to the shims that the TSS mounts to..

Last edited by reddog; 09-16-2019 at 02:03 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:10 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Short answer: The reason they specify 15 inches off center is so there is no chance of starving the prop of water (spinout) , or disrupting the flow of water into the cooling intakes of outboards. Id also be worried that the transducer would be pinging the underside of the boat hull mounted that deep under the step.

In the picture you posted, theres probably not enough height in the transom to move the xducer to the side.(which isnt all that common in todays boats ) My skeeter has a step like your picture, and my transducer is mounted to the bottom of the step,(not the transoms) with a Transducer Shield and Saver. Its considerably more difficult mounting there to find the sweet spot, because you are not dealing with stock mount adjustments, but more with adjustments to the shims that the TSS mounts to..
Thanks any chance you could share a picture how you mounted if not to much trouble, Ill send you a e-beer!
Humminbird Helix G2 x 1
Talon
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Old 09-19-2019, 01:25 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Bob View Post
What good is the SI? Can't see anything of value.
should have prefaced this with 'i'm old and hate change'...
Old 09-19-2019, 04:25 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by unchained View Post
should have prefaced this with 'i'm old and hate change'...
Not sure what your problem is son but I have had SI for over 10 years. With twin HDSI transducers with a "Y" cable for high speed transducer for a few years. I have a feel for what works,what things cost ,what is effective and I doubt you have. Do you have something of value to add?