Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Need Help Again...tires this time - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 06-30-2013, 09:32 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarcraft91 View Post
Photos do help.

As HRG said, that looks like an alignment problem, but it also seems to indicate under-inflation, as the center tire ribs aren't showing the wear you see on the outer ribs. What pressure were you running in your tires?

Yes, get that alignment problem solved first. Good luck!

X2. That's what I noticed as well.
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2013, 04:57 AM
Charter Member

With the spindle welded to the top of the square axle, I think it's a good possibility that you have misalignment there. I've bought new 3500# axles for approx $140.00. Might pay to just change out the axle. If it bent once, it will bend again. Here's a link for axles. http://www.easternmarine.com/em_store/axles/
Old 07-01-2013, 09:01 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
I've towed trailers with tires of 8", 13", 14" and 15" on the same 3500-mile trip at speeds to 75 mph and never had one tire fail- ever. If the tires aren't overloaded, they should perform safely at normal highway speeds.

I have to say the same- I do buy the best trailer tires I can possibly buy though. If they look even close to being worn down, they get replaced
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2013, 11:33 AM
Wallhanger

Default Wednesday Morning

Taking it in Wednesday morning, i will specifically ask the guy at the shop if I should look into replacing replacing the axle. I bought this boat as a package deal from a long long ways from my house. If I would have ordered it from the ground up I would have gotten a much better beefier trailer. I have no problem throwing some coin into this one to get it up to speed. I don't think I could drive 300 miles on I90 through So Dak at 65 mph...so I have to get the trailer ready to be able to do more. 14 inch Kumho 857's should perform much better me (at least I hope).

Also I would like to thank every one for all their help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellback View Post
With the spindle welded to the top of the square axle, I think it's a good possibility that you have misalignment there. I've bought new 3500# axles for approx $140.00. Might pay to just change out the axle. If it bent once, it will bend again. Here's a link for axles. http://www.easternmarine.com/em_store/axles/
Hummibird 898
Old 07-01-2013, 11:35 AM
Wallhanger

Default 50 psi

They are and were right at 50 psi (as recommended). The tires I want kick it up to 65 psi, if my boat wasn't so light I bet it would bounce on these little soft sided tires.

Quote:
Photos do help.

As HRG said, that looks like an alignment problem, but it also seems to indicate under-inflation, as the center tire ribs aren't showing the wear you see on the outer ribs. What pressure were you running in your tires?

Yes, get that alignment problem solved first. Good luck!
Hummibird 898
Old 07-01-2013, 11:47 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
I've towed trailers with tires of 8", 13", 14" and 15" on the same 3500-mile trip at speeds to 75 mph and never had one tire fail- ever. If the tires aren't overloaded, they should perform safely at normal highway speeds.
I totally understand what your saying. I have done the same thing with other boats and trailers. but I just figured this boat and gear had my 13" tires over loaded. anyway I put 205x14" tires and wheels on my trailer and have towed it thousands of miles without having a tire failure.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:55 PM
Wallhanger

Default Update

Took the trailer to get it lined up...everything checked out perfectly. There was no alignment issue, he said those tires are just that bad. Anyway the fenders are now raised an inch, now all I have to do is buy three rims and three tires Thanks HRG!!!!!!!
Hummibird 898
Old 07-04-2013, 10:40 PM
Charter Member

Default like my Kumho 14's a lot

I think you are on the right track, and getting good advice. Us guys with single axle trailers maybe worry about this more than the dual axle crowd. Funny though, when tires blow on dual axle setups they often do more costly damage than the singles.

I think you've covered the bases pretty well. The tire itself could be suspect - there are plenty of stories about tires of several brands just letting go. Belt/carcass separations, bubbles, etc. can and do happen. No one has mentioned a bearing check/repack. That doesn't look like your problem cause, but once you're that far into it why not check bearings too?

Knowing the alignment is good is a confidence builder. Decent tires aired up and rolling on good bearings is another. Trailer loading and balance should not be a problem with your boat, but I have seen some pull type trailers that didn't sway a lot, but they swayed a little all the time. That can introduce weird loads on the tires. I get my trailer tires balanced. Some guys do, some don't.

My guess is a bad tire about to let go. Combination of heat, load, tire manufacturing faults all added up to more than it can take.

You will like those 14" ers. I get slightly better mileage with the 65 lbs. in there too.
Wallypedal
Old 07-05-2013, 07:10 AM
Charter Member

Default another thread, similar questions

There is another thread on the forum right now with similar questions. There is some good info there about proper inflation and how to check for it. Part of the recommendation is to get your loaded boat on a scale and see how much weight is on those tires. Then you can tell what capacity tire you really need, keeping in mind some reserve. They also describe how to use chalk on the tread to make an imprint that will indicate proper loading.
I mention this stuff because your tire picture shows the center still intact. There are circumstances when pressure OVER the sidewall amount is needed and even recommended (dig into the Goodyear Marathon documents out there).
Just two cents more worth...
Wallypedal
Old 07-05-2013, 06:31 PM
Wallhanger

Default Thanks

I can safely say overloading wasn't an issue. I still can't figure out what happened on that trip, but something did. Unless someone let air out of my tires, followed me home and refilled them that couldn't be it. Both tires were just a smidge, under 50 psi...like over 49 but under 50. All that damage was done in right around 800 miles...I think the fact that was the first really hot weather and my lead foot played a roll on chewing up a tire that had some sort of structural problem that showed up out of the blue. Either way thanks to everyone for all the help. I will run these tires the rest of the rear, keeping a very close watch on them of course...and put the 14's on it this fall/winter.
Hummibird 898