Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
LC Reel's and Leadcore...advice wanted - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 02-18-2014, 07:06 PM
Slot Fish

Default Got an idea.

You should immediately give them to me! You know where I work and can drop them off tomorrow.
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2014, 07:11 PM
Wallhanger

Default Dan

I will remember that
I think I might have to try them out before I give them away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Johnson View Post
You should immediately give them to me! You know where I work and can drop them off tomorrow.
Hummibird 898
Old 02-18-2014, 10:42 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarhcaz View Post
Greg,
Part of me wants to replace all my LC reels with Tekotas but if you go back and read some of my old Shimano posts I had two Shimano Bantum LC's. One of the internal gears snapped (after many many years of use) I sent it back into Shimano along with an older Stradic to get fixed, I figured what ever it costs to get fixed was better than buying a replacement. Well I got them back from Shimano saying they no longer carried the parts and would not fix them. I paid like $199 a piece for the Bantums and $159 for the Stradic (in early 1990's dollars). I was rather upset with Shimano and still am. Switched out all my Stradics to Pfluegars and went all ABU on my baitcasters. Might be petty on my part but it is what it is. I was very much pro-shimano but no longer...that being said the Tekotas are silky smooth, I just cant bring myself to buy them even though part of me wants to.
I understand your frustration, and I realize you've already made your decision, but allow me to give you a little different point of view.

I agree it would have been great to have Shimano fix your reels, I wish they would have. However, not many companies will carry parts for or service items that were sold 20-25 years ago, especially specialty items like fishing reels. The glass half full way to look at it is that those reels gave you over 20 years of trouble free service, that's less than $10/yr. That's a pretty good endorsement for Shimano quality and pretty good value. The Tekotas are the best line counters you can buy in my opinion, and will most likely give you another 20+ years of trouble free service before they need repair or replacement.

Waxy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2014, 07:33 AM
Wallhanger

Default Somewhat agree

Waxy I somewhat agree the problem is at the same time an older Pflueger was sent in, got a new reel back with a message saying they no longer carried the part (wasn't expecting that) and I found out that a really old Abu (XLT plus circa 1982) was able to be fixed if needed (a friend contacted them) but my old Abu still works as good as it did the day it was new. Still kind of in shock they still have parts available for a reel of that age...
Prior to 1996 (birth of my first child) I was in an all loomis with all Shimano craze... now I like to refer to that time as more money than sense. Recently I seem to buy all Scheels rods and Pflueger spinning reels (currently 4 presidents and 2 Supremes) and Abu bait casters (1 silver max, 1 forgot the model number but blue round reel, and 1 Revo) and the old XLT plus is still in use. Who knows what I will start buying next? but i can't wait to find out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
I understand your frustration, and I realize you've already made your decision, but allow me to give you a little different point of view.

I agree it would have been great to have Shimano fix your reels, I wish they would have. However, not many companies will carry parts for or service items that were sold 20-25 years ago, especially specialty items like fishing reels. The glass half full way to look at it is that those reels gave you over 20 years of trouble free service, that's less than $10/yr. That's a pretty good endorsement for Shimano quality and pretty good value. The Tekotas are the best line counters you can buy in my opinion, and will most likely give you another 20+ years of trouble free service before they need repair or replacement.

Waxy
Hummibird 898