Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Propane contractors? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2019, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellback View Post
Looks like I need to get a price on 3/4 IP to supply the heater and the generator.
My regulator is outside the home. 3/4" outlet, reduced to 1/2" going into the house. I wonder if I could tee off the 3/4 IP and run around the outside of my foundation with poly pipe? I've got the option of a good deal on the Generac Guardian generator, but I need to come up with some costs to do the propane and transfer switch wiring before I commit.
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2019, 05:29 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
My regulator is outside the home. 3/4" outlet, reduced to 1/2" going into the house. I wonder if I could tee off the 3/4 IP and run around the outside of my foundation with poly pipe?
That would be my choice. I would run 3/4" HDPE to the generator. Best to oversize than gamble on 1/2". Remember that the furnace and generator will /can be consuming gas at the same time.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:14 PM
Wallhanger

I have central service about 250 ft away from house so that is where I set mine and got a separate 120 gal above ground tank for mine. Have a 500 gal above ground tank for house furnace and water heater. If you are going to be close to the house try to stay away from sleeping areas they are loud when running I can hear mine run when Im in the part of house closest to the generator and that's 250 feet away. The most expensive part is the automatic transfer switch but well worth the piece of mind. This is my second one and this one has the mobil link that send me alerts on phone whenever it starts and if there are problems. Alerts are also send to my Generac dealer so he knows if there are any problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2019, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

Your line sizes depend on the product - natural gas or propane, the btu requirement of all items running the product and the pressure of the product to the appliances.

In former years, natural gas came to the homes at a substantial pressure and then were regulated down to a few ozs outside of the home. Then, to distribute the low pressure natural gas, 3.4 inch black pipe was used for the runs from the outside regulator to the appliances.

In recent years, the natural gas comes to the home at the same pressure, but now is regulated down to a much higher pressure that allows thru home distribution by 1/2 inch soft copper. Then, a final down pressure regulator is used at the appliance to get to the typical xxx oz pressure requirement for the burners.

-------------
So, to go back to the original question, if the propane line is sized for the current home requirements and the generator will be added to run at the same time the prudent thing to do is to up size the size of the tank to home line.

------------------
This last year, my brother who lives in a rural area and heats with propane, decided to add an instant hot water heater. Although an instant hot water heater is energy efficient, to provide the instant hot water, the burner is very large, compared to their former reservoir type heater.

As a result, a heating contractor was called in and the inlet pipe from their propane tank to their home was essentially doubled in size to supply the instant propane requirements for the instant hot water heater when it ran for its short periods of time. The contractor did his work and after the new heater was installed, everything works perfectly. The home furnace still performs perfectly even when the instant hot water heater is on due to the demand of hot water use in the home.

So, to be sure, call a contractor and have the pressures checked, regulators checked, all btu burner size requirements added up and the appropriate pipe and regulators be sized for the task. Then, install the appropriate changes as required and enjoy the changes.

Good luck
Old 03-20-2019, 08:05 AM
Wallhanger

Just remember to have enough surface area of the propane to produce enough gas at the coldest time of the year for your generator running at full load. I have a 17kw unit hooked to a 500 gallon horizontal tank then they run one regulator at the tank and then the final regulator at he genset. That was done so you didn't have to run larger line from the tank.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:42 AM
mk cant log in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokey Fisherman View Post
Just remember to have enough surface area of the propane to produce enough gas at the coldest time of the year for your generator running at full load. .
I was thinking the same thing but he mentioned that the tank was buried so it probably isn't an issue.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:28 AM
Wallhanger

Why wouldn't you just tell your Propane supplier what you are doing and have them do it?
Old 03-21-2019, 05:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Minnesota guy View Post
Why wouldn't you just tell your Propane supplier what you are doing and have them do it?
They told me to check with the generator company.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:28 AM
Charter Member

Rethinking my install. Was going to place the generator close to my electric panel, and that would require the long propane run. It would also put the generator on the same side of my house as my bedroom. My propane tank is about 20 feet off my garage. Thinking about placing the generator next to the garage. Close run for propane and reduced noise level in the house. Probably just need a heavier gauge wire from the generator to the transfer panel. Also bagging the whole house generator idea. Going with 7 to 8K, that will cover me for everything except A/C, H/W, and the stove. My portable with the manual transfer box does that for me now when I select x amount of circuits at a time. 8K will do them all at the same time, and it will be an automatic transfer. No dragging out the generator, worrying about stale gas, and manually tranferring circuits. Other than the propane, I can do it all myself.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:08 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Looks like I need to get a price on 3/4 IP to supply the heater and the generator.
There won't be enough cost difference between 1/2 and 3/4 to even consider doing 1/2