Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Towing with four cylinders - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 02-28-2013, 02:17 PM
Minnow

Last year I used a 2012 Equinox with a V6 and factory tow package to pull my 16.5ft crestliner windshield model with 90 merc. Vehicle towed it ok around town BUT gas mileage -almost double normal driving-was way worse than I would have thought on the highway. It was always reving hard to pull at 60 mph. Could not really go over that speed comfortably just felt that the vehicle was working too hard.

You just have to balance out "do I want good mileage during the week and poor mileage pulling the boat"? Your test = your answer on what you need to drive.

Can you rent a vehicle, hook up your boat and to try and maybe an "hour highway tow test it" before you buy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2013, 03:23 PM
Wallhanger

Just watch your tow and capacity ratings. The Tacoma 4 cylinder is rated to tow 3,500 lbs. I believe and I suspect the Colorado or Frontier would be similar. I would think you would be okay so long as you weren't trying to win any races, push the limits at highway speeds, etc. If passing you'd also have to pick your spots obviously.

From what I've read the V6 Tacoma gets similar mileage to the 4 cylinder Tacoma while towing, but you would get the benefit of the four while not in tow for sure.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:55 PM
Wallhanger

The Tacoma, Colorado, and Frontier would totally do fine. You might want to research the upcoming versions of those because I believe at least the Tacoma and the Colorado are coming out with refreshed versions either this or next year.

But yes, you are right that trucks have gotten pretty big. I can't tell you how many people I've talked to who aren't truck owners because they can't find one small enough. A lot of people miss the old S10s, Mazda B2200s, and older Tacomas. Today's Tacoma has pretty much the size and the power of yesterday's half-ton. When will it ever stop?

While I do enjoy having a bigger truck capable of pulling whatever load I may have down the road, if it was my daily driver, I'd totally want something smaller to tool around in.

I think the only issue I'd have with towing with a smaller vehicle with the V4 is on steeper ramps. If you are only on smaller lakes with shallow ramps, you'd be fine. But on the bigger lakes with straight concrete, when those get wet, good luck pulling out.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:50 PM
Wallhanger

Check out a Toyota Rav4. We love ours but I don't tow with it although it would tow an alum. boat fine.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:51 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarhcaz View Post
Just got back from having a hitch installed on my wife's new Subaru outback. We opted for the 4 over the 6 because the increase in towing capacity was only 300#'s. (2700 versus 3000) but that being said in other parts of the world the outback is rated to tow nearly twice that amount. Now if the weather will just cooperate on my days off I can give a good review. I do not foresee any problems towing this little rebel Xl with the outback but won't really know till I get her out there and try it out.
There is a guy who pulls an 18' Crestliner to our local lake with a 4 cyl. Outback. Looked kind of funny, but he said it handles it okay.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:22 PM
Wallhanger

I used to do it with a 1996 Toyota Tacoma, 4cy, 5-speed, 4x4. I would tow a small 16' aluminum boat or a two place 4-wheeler trailer pretty easily. I think it would be harder with an automatic, but it really wasn't an issue.

The Toyota motor was pretty stout for a 4cy. It's been a while but I think it was 175hp or something like that.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:30 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenswake View Post
when those get wet, good luck pulling out.
I, well, you, ahhh....
Old 03-01-2013, 07:07 PM
Wallhanger

Towed an 18' I/O 1,500 miles to Canada and back in 1984 with a 4 cylinder Chrysler mini van with no problems.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:38 PM
Keeper

Default Maybe OK now, but....

If I was planning to keep a vehicle for any time, I would never consider pulling a large boat with a 4 cyl anything.

Your owners manual should tell you what the safe towing capacity is for your vehicle. Thats what I would go by. With that in mind, remember that everyone thinks their rig weighs less than it actually does.

And with todays computer system in these vehicles, they can easily tell when your engine has been stressed. Just keep that in mind if you decide to and still have a warranty on your vehicle.

Even though you may not see any problems immediately, over stressing your motor and tranny will cause issues down the road. Not to mention, the ability to properly STOP your vehicle and rig quickly if needed.

Part of the cost of owning a boat, is having the proper equipment to use it correctly. How many times have you seen on these forums someone questioning if they need a bigger motor on their boat, most will respond, "Get as big as the boat will allow". Why would anyone consider not having enough vehicle to Properly Tow your rig.

Think of it like this, a 50hp motor will operate your 620 and move it through the water, but it is far from the right combination for what your planning on doing, for almost everyone.

JMO

As always, the choice is ultimately yours to make.

Chair
Old 03-02-2013, 07:51 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotah Eye View Post
Towed an 18' I/O 1,500 miles to Canada and back in 1984 with a 4 cylinder Chrysler mini van with no problems.
If it was the 2.5 turbo that doesn't count - those things could put out some wicked power if allowed to stretch their legs a bit..