Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
2008 alumacraft classic 165 cs vs 2008 lowe fm 165 - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 10-03-2014, 07:59 PM
Minnow

Sorry for a late reply. I just got back from work. Thank you for all the replies. It is a great forum and I appreciate such a great feedback!! It has helped me tremendously to make a decision. I have to say that now I am leaning towards Lowe with 60hp EFI. I am picking it up next week and I will let you know how it all worked out. In the meantime, any additional comments are very welcome!!

Thanks a lot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2014, 09:41 PM
Wallhanger

My first and only boat has been the '06 version of the 165CS w/ a 75 Yam. The 50 hp Yam 2 stroke was the basic motor. The other choices were the 60 and 75 4 stokes.

For my style of fishing, including a trip near or over the boarder every year, it works for me.

Make your choice and don't look back.

Nimstug
Old 10-04-2014, 06:21 AM
Wallhanger

I have a 2008 Lowe FM175DC and have no complaints after 7 years of modest beatings and regular use on Lake Erie and Canadian lake trips. My only regret is the very light gray carpet that always looks dirty, but the boat and Karavan trailer have held up well outside of a few typical maintenance items like gas tank sensor, tach just started acting up this fall, some carpet wear, and loose plywood floor joint that needs couple screws. It runs nice down the lake and handles chop well for its length. I would consider another Lowe in the future if I don't go bigger than their FM185. I've also been impressed with Alumacraft every time I've seen one. I picked Lowe for reasonably high quality and price in 208 as Lund's and A's were many 1000's more $ and I had a home budget with kids (plural)college tuition. Trade in mattered nothing compared to getting in the water sooner rather than later. Always dreamed of a new boat, but discovered that with patience, a newer used boat can be quite the better deal.
Old 10-04-2014, 02:09 PM
Minnow

From what most of you are saying I'm realizing that Lowe is not a bad boat at all. I think it's going to lest a few good years. I feel very confident with my choice now and as I said I'll let you know how it all worked out.

Thanks
Old 10-05-2014, 08:51 AM
Slot Fish

My buddy has an 02 Lowe 165, with a 50 Merc 4 stroke. It's not a speed demon, but it's been an extremely reliable boat for him, that has lasted. He does take very good care of it, but there have been no real issues with the boat. It's a stable dry ride, and he has been very happy with it! Enjoy the boat!
Old 10-21-2014, 05:33 PM
Minnow

Hi,
I just wanted to let you know that I finally got the boat.
Even though I was going back and forth between Alumacraft and Lowe I ended up buying 08 Crestliner Sport Angler 165. Equipped with 75hp Mercury Optimax, full windshield, remote controlled trolling motor and vinyl floor and deck, the boat was worth spending extra money (not really that much extra). Being 87'' wide it feels vary stable and 75hp is much appreciated.
If anyone needs some info about this boat I'll be more than happy to help.
Thanks again for all the respond. Great forum!

Thanks
Old 11-01-2014, 06:42 AM
Keeper

When I bought my 2010 Classic C165, it came with a yammie 50 2 stroke.
The motor was not heavy enough for the boat and the boat would sit in the water bow down a bit.
Tried moving all the batteries and heavy gear to the rear but it was not enough. Also, with 3 people in the boat it had a tough time getting up on plane.
Switched to the yammie 70 and now it is the boat I always wanted..
Old 11-01-2014, 07:29 AM
Wallhanger

Dang - I just lost a post. I was typing/posting before I logged in.

Just last week my neighbor and I tried to buy a 2012 165 CS package. It had a 50 hp Yamaha 4stk. The seller said it have 5 hours on it. Very clean - nice (Cabelas) package (currently selling new for 17200). It had a MK trolling motor, bird, electric anchor, spare tire, and remaining warranty.

I was only 'in' because the neighbor asked me to be. Neither of us needs another boat. We got the seller down to 11500. Our final offer was 9000 - obviously it was rejected. That's okay. The idea was to sell it and make a couple of bucks.

Even at 11500 that was a nice deal. I think it must have sold - they pulled the boat from the web site.

I think that rig would be a lot better with a 70 Yamaha.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:31 AM
Minnow

Safeway,
I have a 05 crestliner sport angler 1650 with a 90 carb Mercury 4stroke. You will really like that boat. Great ride comfortable for 3. You can go anywhere with it. Mine will run 40+ mph with 2 full tank gas and gear but I don't rev more that 5200 on purpose. It's an 05 and 2 mph makes no difference to me at that speed vs the increase rpm. Just got a 4 blade 19 pitch prop this year. Much better acceleration and keep same top speed. The boat has much greater capability than the current driver (me) as I have been out in Lake Ontario 4-5 foot rollers with no issues.
Enjoy the new ride!
Mike

Tags
alumacraft , lowe