Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Dry boat weight vs trailer tow weight? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 04-03-2021, 10:50 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CI_Guy View Post
I would add another 3 to 400lbs to Eyecatchers estimate. Everyone I know that has weighed their rig after estimating by the weights online are about 10% heavier when they take it to a scale
Only the owner knows what he has in the boat, but I included an extra 20% (500lbs) onto the numbers to get to 3000 total. 30% might be a little overkill. That being said, overkill might not be a bad thing if planning on towing more than 100 miles, or towing frequently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2021, 11:10 AM
Wallhanger

Very good advice in this thread. I agree he should be looking for a vehicle that is rated for at least 5,000 lbs towing. Definitely check the payload sticker as well.
Old 04-03-2021, 12:34 PM
Keeper

You can also take a look at the sticker on your trailer. You may want your towing vehicle rated for what ever the trailer is rated for (at a minimum). And if you're over that with the boat weight, you have an issue anyway.

We're in fiberglass boat so our weights are different but our trailer is rated at 4500#. Our SUV is rated for 6000#.

When looking at SUVs also remember a lot of them have wildly different max towing based on whether they were factory spec'd with a towing package. Just throwing a hitch on it won't necessarily mean it meets the max towing you'll find online.

Haven't paid a lot of attention to towing in smaller SUVs but I think the Jeep Cherokee can go up to 4500# if ordered with the towing package. Think the Toyota Highlanders could get up to 5000#
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2021, 01:28 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by thawk9455 View Post
You can also take a look at the sticker on your trailer. You may want your towing vehicle rated for what ever the trailer is rated for (at a minimum). And if you're over that with the boat weight, you have an issue anyway.........
In talking with a Michigan State Trooper about vehicle tow capacity versus the rating on the trailer., he said they would ticket anyone as at fault in an accident if the trailer is rated higher than the vehicle tow rating. He said you would be at fault even if the trailer was empty since it was being pulled by a vehicle with a lesser rating. Don't know how anyone else would view the situation, he was pretty firm on his stance!

Marty
Old 04-03-2021, 04:35 PM
Slot Fish

Same here in PA. People buy 12k equipment trailers and register them for 9,999 lbs and think they can pull them with a half ton truck. Even empty it’s a violation because the trailer is capable of hauling 12k. Depends on how the statey feels when you go buy him. ( I may or may not be guilty of this myself).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-03-2021, 06:14 PM
Wallhanger

I agree with those saying to look for something with a 5000 pound tow capacity. For me, I'd be looking into a Grand Cherokee. Anything with the current body style and 8 speed transmission would be a good match for that boat. With the V6 they are rated 5000 pounds. Step up to the V8 or EcoDiesel and the rating goes to 7200 pounds.

I've had a lot of boats, and have only had one (my current Ranger) with tongue weight above 10% of the boat weight.

As far as LEO ticketing based on your tow rating, that is the first that I have ever heard of it, and color me skeptical. Troopers (and insurance companies) don't care what your vehicle is rated for. Honestly, unless you are grossly over the tow rating, they would have to do some research to see what each specific vehicle is rated for. Things have changed a bit with the SAE J2807 standards, but tow ratings have as much to do with a compromise between marketing who want to advertise their vehicle as "best in class" vs the actuarials who want to limit warranty exposure as anything else. That said, I have towed at and over the tow rating of vehicles, and without a doubt, it is a much better towing experience when you are under your vehicles tow rating.
Old 04-04-2021, 06:13 AM
Slot Fish

It’s not necessarily what your vehicle is rated for but what your vehicle is registered for. All they have to do is look at the windshield sticker. To max out the capacity of my 1/2 ton it would be class 4a 9000-10,000 gvwr. Most people around here register for class 2 5000-7000 gvwr. This saves about $150 a year. As for the OP question. Does the boat trailer have brakes? I towed a 17’ tracker targa loaded with gear for many of my younger years with a Chevy blazer. It had the 4.3l v6 and pulling the boat was easy. Stopping in a hurry was not. For me the ability to stop is more important than the ability to go.

Old 04-04-2021, 06:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorehandcuffs View Post
Does the boat trailer have brakes? I towed a 17’ tracker targa loaded with gear for many of my younger years with a Chevy blazer. It had the 4.3l v6 and pulling the boat was easy. Stopping in a hurry was not. For me the ability to stop is more important than the ability to go.

Exactly! If you're behind me, I'm less interested in how fast you can accelerate than if you can stop in time in the event of an emergency.

HRG
Old 04-04-2021, 02:02 PM
Wallhanger

You would want something rated for over 4500. The other issue is how wide is your crestliner. Newer boats are wider. Allot of the small suvs are not wide enough. Plan on using the add on tow mirrors.
Old 04-05-2021, 08:49 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowking View Post
You would want something rated for over 4500. The other issue is how wide is your crestliner. Newer boats are wider. Allot of the small suvs are not wide enough. Plan on using the add on tow mirrors.
Yep, my 2010 Pathfinder has no issues towing our Ranger Reata, but I tried three different mirror extensions before I found one that got out far enough that I can somewhat see what's behind me. When ever I replace the Pathfinder one of the key requirements is that it that the new one has to be wider than the Pathfinder.

We even used the mirror extensions on full-size pickups. 102" is a lot of boat to see around.