Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Best Gulp Color For Jigging For Walleyes - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 11-11-2010, 03:29 PM
Minnow

Keep the suggestions coming boys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2010, 04:39 PM
Wallhanger

fFor plastics: I like purples for water that's not chocolate milk. Light purple (lavender?)...Kalins used to make a lavender-ish color that a friend and I called the "fairy jig" when we didn't want to risk being overheard. it's no longer made,but Hutch has a ringy that's close and works well.

Purple,blue sparkles and white or chart. tail ringworm....Muddy water sees the chart. ringworm with a white core....Brown/orange tail seems to work much better on sauger than walleyes....chart./orange

There's a color I call hot pink,my buddy calls it blaze orange,we each think the other is slightly colorblind. Anyway,sometimes it works fantastic,other times not....

When I use flukes,I usually use natural colors. But there's this one great big honkin' really bright chart. fluke meant for saltwater,I use it in spring vertical jigging with surprising success. I've been made fun of for using it
Old 11-11-2010, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeds View Post
I don't want to step on anyone's toes with this post,and I DO occasionally (rarely) use Gulp. I've never used TriggerX. Also,I'm not a pro,or guide,and there's many,MANY techniques that I need to work on.

That all said,I believe those "expensive",scented,amino acid infused (or whatever) baits just aren't necessary when the fish have the feedbag on.

Like during fall. Those fish aren't pausing to sniff or taste the bait,they're trying to eat something that looks like food before it either gets away or another fish gets it first. Present a bait in a way that gives the illusion of food,put it where walleyes are feeding,and you'll get bit.

I am a believer in color. I believe slight variations of a color sometimes make huge differences. I believe that the proper jig weight is even more important than color.....I believe that I have WAY to many jigs and plastics in my boat.

But I DON'T believe I'd do any better if I had GULP! in my boat when fishing the river during fall.
As I have shared during a previous discussion of Gulp, I really have a tough time determining that it is effective due primarily to its smell. It seems rather unlikely that most fish take to time to "sniff it out" before taking it. The amount of scent in the immediate water of the bait after it has been used very long would seem to be insignificant. The scent is probably "x" no. stronger (as advertised) than some other baits, but I would guess that the competition and Power Bait just doesn't have any scent other than a very very small trace going for it.

This doesn't mean the bait is not good - I believe the action (the way it flexes), along with the dark/light pattern, "ala Rapala", is what the fish find so attractive. It still is a darn good bait, and has constituted my major bait purchases for the past several years.

Bill
Old 11-11-2010, 06:04 PM
Wallhanger

I prefer other plastics over Gulp, namely because they are more durable in my experience. Also, I don't find the scent in Gulp plays that big a role in my success, maybe because I work plastics fairly fast and usually fish in stained water. I use Scheels and Cabelas grubtails that work well and are way cheaper than Gulp.

The white grubtail body is my go to lure almost everytime, I have just developed a lot of confidence in it over the years. If that doesn't work, a flourscent sparkly yellow and a flourescent pink also can be good at times. Sometimes going to a double tail jig is good too if frogs and crawfish are present.

But day in and day out, I find myself fishing most of the time with a white plastic grubtail. I think the grubtail provides a good "thump" that allows fish to home in on it, and the white flash likewise helps in stained water.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:40 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Krejca View Post

This doesn't mean the bait is not good - I believe the action (the way it flexes), along with the dark/light pattern, "ala Rapala", is what the fish find so attractive. It still is a darn good bait, and has constituted my major bait purchases for the past several years.

Bill
I've gotta agree. I really liked some of the colors that Triggerx has,but then I saw the price. I avoid $1 baits.

There's a plethora of plastics out there. (sorry,couldn't help it)...Flukes? There's a bunch of different brands,and scores of colors to chose from. Ringworms? twistertails? Paddletails?

I can't shake the feeling that Gulp! and TriggerX are priced in a manner to create the illusion of higher value.

I once did a side-by-side comparison with Gulp and a similar fluke. The "other" fluke had a bulkier body and no split tail. Same color but brighter. Identical rod,reel,line,weight jig. Vertical jigging. The other noticeably outfished the GULP! the majority of the time.

I shared that comparison with a regionally known guide,"personality" and Berkely rep. He got testy and obviously felt I was trying to discredit his pet bait. Said he knew better because he makes his living from fishing,pays his mortgage from fishing,and doesn't fish GULP! just because they sponser him....He wouldn't even consider the "other" as a darn good bait,possible better than GULP! in that app.

And here I was just trying to be nice.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:34 AM
Minnow

What was the similar fluke you did a comparison to? Was it triggerx?

Tags
berkely , gulp , jig , jigging , walleye