Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Ulterra Functionality and Colder Air Temps - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 10-21-2019, 05:32 PM
Wallhanger

Default Ulterra Functionality and Colder Air Temps

I guess this is just an FYI. Spent 4 days in Saskatchewan fishing last week. Temps were around 40 degrees give or take a little. My 2017 bluetooth Ulterra would not deploy without pushing on the control head to assist. Stowed perfectly. Took it to Scheels today at 10:00 AM so it sat in there until the tech came in at noon. There was nothing to fix as it worked perfectly. We cold only assume it's an air temp issue. I had tried applying Armor All to the shaft but that didn't help. That's the only lubrication that I've heard of. I know last Spring I fished temps in the 30's and it worked fine. Just over 2 years old. Doesn't look good for cold weather fishing for this motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2019, 02:38 AM
Super Moderator

Back in 2017, I had the same issue, but it wasn't temp related. I worked with the techs to figure it out, and a fix was issued. Mine had worked fine for months, but then it did exactly what you described.

When you stow it, and then try to deploy it, does it beep/chirp at you and say, "Motor Error" on the remote? When you say you pushed on the control head to assist it, did you only have to push it a 1/4 to a 1/2 inch forward to get it to deploy?

The problem is the cradle sensor. What they ended up doing for me, is replacing my freshwater cradles with the saltwater cradles and the problem was resolved. It never happened again.

To check to see if you have the saltwater cradles, take them off and see if there is an "SW" stamped on it. If not, contact MK and ask them to send you the SW cradles. If I remember correctly, just one of the two will be stamped, so check both of them.

They are easy to remove and replace. If I can do it in less than ten minutes...anyone can.

I hope this is your problem, as it's an easy fix.
NPAA#89
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
Vexus DVX22 Merc 400 Verado
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112
Old 10-22-2019, 07:33 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juls View Post
Back in 2017, I had the same issue, but it wasn't temp related. I worked with the techs to figure it out, and a fix was issued. Mine had worked fine for months, but then it did exactly what you described.

When you stow it, and then try to deploy it, does it beep/chirp at you and say, "Motor Error" on the remote? When you say you pushed on the control head to assist it, did you only have to push it a 1/4 to a 1/2 inch forward to get it to deploy?

The problem is the cradle sensor. What they ended up doing for me, is replacing my freshwater cradles with the saltwater cradles and the problem was resolved. It never happened again.

To check to see if you have the saltwater cradles, take them off and see if there is an "SW" stamped on it. If not, contact MK and ask them to send you the SW cradles. If I remember correctly, just one of the two will be stamped, so check both of them.

They are easy to remove and replace. If I can do it in less than ten minutes...anyone can.

I hope this is your problem, as it's an easy fix.

Juls - thanks for the response. I know the effort to get it past the error is minimal. It does beep. It doesn't take much as far as assistance goes. The tech mentioned that MK has 112 degree cradles which would reduce the amount of friction at the cradles. I think he said the one's I have are 90 something. I'll give MK a call. Thank you.

One question though. Are they pretty secure in the cradle and not rattle around with the saltwater version?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2019, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetleap View Post
One question though. Are they pretty secure in the cradle and not rattle around with the saltwater version?
You won't know the difference.
NPAA#89
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112
Old 10-22-2019, 08:41 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
You won't know the difference.

Thanks again.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:03 PM
Keeper

Mine was doing the same thing this past weekend. Worked fine all summer ... Gremlins must be out! I'm going to store the boat this weekend so I'll let the dealer look at when they winterize it.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:51 PM
Wallhanger

To make sure you have the old ramps you can call Minn Kota with your serial # and they can tell you if you need the newer style. Also the shaft should be wiped down with a water base silicon and a rag periodically. The shaft gets dirty and puts additional friction that the motor has to overcome. I do it about once a month.( about 1 minutes time to do). Bob
Note: The cold will also make the motor harder to move. Things add up
Old 10-22-2019, 08:38 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Bob View Post
To make sure you have the old ramps you can call Minn Kota with your serial # and they can tell you if you need the newer style. Also the shaft should be wiped down with a water base silicon and a rag periodically. The shaft gets dirty and puts additional friction that the motor has to overcome. I do it about once a month.( about 1 minutes time to do). Bob
Note: The cold will also make the motor harder to move. Things add up
Mk is sending me the saltwater ramps. I'll also be more diligent at cleaning the shaft. Does Armour All attract dust like wd40 might? That's what MK told me to use.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:05 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetleap View Post
Mk is sending me the saltwater ramps. I'll also be more diligent at cleaning the shaft. Does Armour All attract dust like wd40 might? That's what MK told me to use.
The only thing you should be using on the shaft is a silicone spray. It's dry and doesn't collect dust.

Here's another tip for regular maintenance...

https://www.facebook.com/boatfenatic...Tl4Bpmv-lRsUJM

If you can't view the video, basically, it's telling you that you should check the belt tension from time to time, and if it's loose you should use an allen wrench to tighten the bolt on the control head. But, don't tighten it too much.
NPAA#89
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112
Old 10-23-2019, 07:13 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
The only thing you should be using on the shaft is a silicone spray. It's dry and doesn't collect dust.

Here's another tip for regular maintenance...

https://www.facebook.com/boatfenatic...Tl4Bpmv-lRsUJM

If you can't view the video, basically, it's telling you that you should check the belt tension from time to time, and if it's loose you should use an allen wrench to tighten the bolt on the control head. But, don't tighten it too much.
Yeah that makes a lot more sense. The other thing MK told me to use was lemon pledge...thought that was odd but the ingredients must meet the requirements.