Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Check your swing tongue hardware! - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 08-06-2018, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntindave View Post
The next step up in diameter would be to use a 13MM bolt which is .5118 inch diameter. I'm guessing a 13MM would go in your present holes without the need to open them to 9/16 (.5625) That way you take out the slop without losing any, or at least less, material in the hinge.
That's good info. I will check around to see if I can get a couple to keep with me.
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2018, 01:21 PM
Minnow

The factory Grade 5 bolt in my Fulton swing tongue on my Ezloader trailer broke causing $3191 damage to my truck. When the bolt broke, the trailer swung on the pin, hitting the truck twice. I've now replaced it with a grade 8 bolt.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:25 PM
Wallhanger

A grade 10.9 metric bolt is about equivelent to a grade 8 bolt in tensile strength. I put a 10.9 13 mm bolt in my swing tongue 5 years ago. Tight as can be..still!

Marty
Old 08-22-2018, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

After reading posts a few times, and determining the A325 on the heads meant they were grade 5, decided to replace the bolts on my 2001 Shorelander. I miked the mounting holes, and they came out as .500 dia, seemed pretty good, apparently little wear. The bolts were .488 dia, turns out to be 1/2 - 20, according to the hardware store thread size tester. I picked up 2 grade 8's, kept the same nuts and bottom washer. When I tightened the bolts down, there was a small gap between the separate mating flanges, but after a bit of tightening them each a bit at a time, was able to make most of the gap disappear. The heads of the new bolts were 1/16 smaller than the old ones, 3/4 vs 7/8, but decided not to add a washer, as the shoulder on the new bolts was somewhat shorter than the old, figured the new bolts are much stronger than the old, so shouldn't be a problem. Kept the old bolts as spares. End of report!!

Bill
Old 08-22-2018, 07:16 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Krejca View Post
When I tightened the bolts down, there was a small gap between the separate mating flanges, but after a bit of tightening them each a bit at a time, was able to make most of the gap disappear.

Bill
Bill,
I'm such a nerd, I addressed the gap issue by buying an assortment of precision shims, and inserting them in the gap, rather than bending the flanges.

HRG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	.500 shims.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	303666  
Old 08-22-2018, 07:59 AM
Keeper

I use to get grade 9 bolts (L9) locally for wear applications.

Also, grade 12.9 metric (similar to grade 9) are used in our cat construction equipment. I suppose if someone wanted to find these hard bolts, most construction equipment dealers should have different sizes in stock. FYI

Iím sure local hardware wonít have the L9 or 12.9.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
Bill,
I'm such a nerd, I addressed the gap issue by buying an assortment of precision shims, and inserting them in the gap, rather than bending the flanges.

HRG
Ha! Probably a better solution than mine! Maybe i'll follow up on it. The thing is, that that gap must have existed before I change out the bolts, so I'm not sure I caused any extra stress on the flanges. I gotta admit the shim/washer addition does make a lot of sense, tho!

Bill
Old 08-26-2018, 03:11 AM
Keeper

Default My tongue

Ok, I installed my fulton fold away about 6 yrs ago, and I trailer about 10,000 miles a year, now I am worried as I see a little bit of play in that bolt. Plus, where can I get more of those rubber snubbers that meet where the two pieces of the tongue meet ?