Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Missing anglers LOTW - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 10-13-2018, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

This is from a FB Buenavista walleye club

The rest of the story ....

This afternoon I talked with the officer who found the lost Muskie fishermen. There are too many details to relate but the bare bones of the story is as follows: They were found north of Falcon Island near Lilly Island almost 40 miles from where they thought they were when they called for help. They were in a 16ft. skiff with a 25 Yamaha that had run out of gas. After 5 calls their cell phone battery went dead. They were out for 3 nights in a snow storm with the wind blowing and temperatures near freezing. They were able to make a fire the first night but couldn't keep it going after that. .... from the clues they gave us on the phone we thought they were in Sabaskong - they mentioned fishing at Turtle Portage and said they could see Rabbit Point from where they were on shore. So we searched every island between Tar Vat and Rabbit Point to Stevens and Stony Bay for 3 days. In the last call the first evening, they said they saw me go by and for the next two days they were convinced I would come back and find them. Eventually office Chevallier did find them. The older fellow was severely hypothermic and the younger fellow cold and dehydrated but both were alive. They were found because Ryan Kirkrude reported that he saw a boat and two people that matched their description on the west side of Painted Rock heading toward Fadden Island and another fisherman reported seeing them in Deep Water Bay headed toward Sturgeon Channel.... sharp eyes and attention to detail made locating them possible.

Many people named and unnamed helped with this successful search and rescue - John Tennessen, Nick & Don Beyak, Rob Gate, Dean Sr. & Dean Jr. and Mike Gate searched for hours and contributed boats and gas. April answered the phone calls and Ryan Kirkrude reported he saw them and of course Officer Chevallier found them. Thanks also to all of the unnamed police boat drivers and helicopter pilots and plane pilots who did their job and also to those who searched on their own with out being asked or acknowledged...

Finally, on the lake in the Fall, always take a paper map, always have a way to make a fire, have a flashlight, take something extra to to eat, have a space blanket and a blaze orange vinyl or plastic tarp to signal and to keep the rain and snow off.

Thankfully this story had a happy ending ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2018, 06:37 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the update, Moose!

Bill
Old 10-15-2018, 12:06 PM
Slot Fish

I was fishing the Morson area when the two went missing. So happy they were found safe. The conditions were extremely cold, windy and wet. All boats in our group were stopped and questioned by the OPP about the missing men. We looked all over the Boomstick, Faddens and North Island area for the men. As a fellow fisherman my hats off to the OPP and all that helped find these men. The pictures give a look into the conditions they were dealing with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2048.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	304966   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2052.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	387.0 KB
ID:	304968   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2061.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	304970  
Old 10-15-2018, 06:43 PM
Keeper

Glad they were found. Thanks to all who searched.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

It is a blessing when stranded folks are found. Now that the hunt is over, I'm still wondering what happened, and what lessons can be learned. It seems that the folks must have done a pile of running to expend their gas, and just wonder about how where they were found differed so much from where they though they were. I easily understand how one can get turned around out on the water, just asking for more details which perhaps could help others in a similar situation. Not to beat a dead fish, so to speak....

Bill
Old 10-18-2018, 05:18 PM
Wallhanger

While this one had a happy ending, the next story out of Morson did not.

3 men were killed 2 days ago in a boating accident on the water. Two of the bodies have been recovered, and a dive crew has come in looking for the third. They struck a reef, and their boat capsized.

All three were from the Big Grassy reserve. While I didn't know any of them personally, I do know all of their families very well. Incredibly tragic!
Old 10-18-2018, 07:57 PM
Keeper

Default Lotw

My condolences go out to the families of the victims.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:00 PM
Wallhanger

They did recover the third body this afternoon.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Obabikon,
What are water temps up there now? Just curious as I would think that hypothermia would be a big factor in a boating accident this time of the year?
Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Old 10-19-2018, 02:16 PM
Wallhanger

I'm guessing upper 40's, but I don't really know. I'm sure hypothermia would be big.