Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Need a transom replaced - where to go? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 11-10-2018, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

Whether you are the original owner or not, call Lund and have them send you a new composite transom board for your boat.

It makes 0 sense to replace a rotted wood board with another wood board that will rot away.

Then, with the new replacement transom board in hand - go to town and do the swap.

There have been recent reports of Lund bending over backwards to make the transom boards right for the owners of their boats.

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2018, 11:55 PM
Wallhanger

Nicko- Frank does a great and thorough job, if you have a Calumet marine transom, you got a 20 year transom. Unfortunately, Frank was all booked up when it was time to do mine.

I decided to think outside the box and had my transom poured in using Seacast. Lifetime warranty and can never rot. It's also not too rigid which can be a concern in some aluminum boats, too rigid there's no flex and the aluminum weakens. My Lund is too old for them to have a ready made composite transom so that's why I went with Seacast.
Rhodan 72" 36v 120 lb. thrust trolling motor
2 Simrad NSS12
Lowrance HDS 12 gen2
Lowrance point 1
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
LSS 1
2 36" Cannon tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees
6 Bert's ratcheting rod holders
Old 11-11-2018, 05:49 AM
Keeper

Anchor Marine in Delano. Do yourself a favor and don't look anywhere else.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:51 AM
Keeper

There have been recent reports of Lund bending over backwards to make the transom boards right for the owners of their boats.

Good luck[/QUOTE]

There's also been plenty of stories of them screwing people over while their boat and transom are still under warranty. My father in-law is one of them.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

By the way, any time that a transom board is replaced, every nut, bolt, rivet and brace needs to be checked and if any problems are found - replace the offending or defective part or piece.

Also, don't overlook the possibility that if you find broken braces, consider the idea to beef up and add braces to further stiffen the area.

Good luck
Old 11-13-2018, 07:25 AM
Slot Fish

My transom was said to be replaced by the recommend place in Chicagoland 10-12 years ago. It is rotted "again". I am doing it my self this winter as soon as the river freezes. I contacted lund about mine with no luck. A composite board is available for $800 plus shipping. But it would still have to be cut and drilled to make work. No exact cut available due to it being a 97 boat.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:03 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrroo View Post
My transom was said to be replaced by the recommend place in Chicagoland 10-12 years ago. It is rotted "again". I am doing it my self this winter as soon as the river freezes. I contacted lund about mine with no luck. A composite board is available for $800 plus shipping. But it would still have to be cut and drilled to make work. No exact cut available due to it being a 97 boat.

Any update on this? Iím in the process of doing my 99 right now
Old 01-12-2019, 10:46 PM
Wallhanger

If you decide to do it your self...This is not a weekend job. Must have a heated garage,use only Marine Grade plywood, soak both sides and edges of the cut wood with poly spar varnish and let dry between coats 2-3 coats will do it. Take your time and do it right. As others have said, check for any damage to structural components.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:05 AM
Keeper

Default yup

Frank is the man. He and his crew, his son down here, they all know their stuff. If I were living near him, I would not take my boat any place else.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:04 PM
Wallhanger

If the transom needs replacement material, you can get a pre cut, composite piece from Lund.
Talk to a dealer.