Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Morson: Lake of the Woods - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 06-11-2019, 05:58 AM
Wallhanger

Default Morson: Lake of the Woods

I always mean to be more consistent with these, but wanted to give a small fishing report for the first few weeks of the season.

Walleye fishing has very good. Consistency is the key. They were on rock points in 17' of water to begin the year, and now have moved to humps and mud both. You can fish the sides of shallow humps, or the deep water humps.... they are on both. While it might not be a bite everytime you drop the hook, there are a lot of nice ones. We're consistently catching 17-18" (which is always our goal for keepers). Plenty of big girls being caught/released, and lots of lunch sized fish too.

Pike fishing is always easy in Obabikon Lake. I would say that it hasn't been lights out, but they are still everywhere you go. A lot of small ones, and certainly entertaining.

Small Mouth: if there's a fish that is too far behind, it's the bass. They're just now coming up in numbers on shorelines. They've been so deep, we were jigging them up walleye fishing last week (which is unusual for June). They were shallow yesterday, and I imagine that they're going to explode this week.

Crappie have been caught in the spawning areas. For the most part, we leave them alone during this time, just to let natural reproduction happen.

Muskie opener isn't going yet, but we have had several unintentional muskie incidents. They're starting to feed, which should indicate they're finishing up their spawn. I was a little worried, with opener on Saturday, that they wouldn't finish. I think that's happened and it'll be safe for everyone to go out.

Perch are mixed in with the walleye... typically get schools later in the summer.

Weather has been a bit of a chore. Too cool most of the time, with a couple days of insane hot. Also... WAY too much North and East winds. Very unusual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2019, 06:03 AM
Wallhanger

Thanks for the report. Hope the resort is full and everybody leaves with sore elbows and their limits!
Old 06-11-2019, 06:28 AM
Keeper

Default ok. ok.

I like the fishing report Jared. But get those winds over and done with by the time we get there. Mother nature needs to give us a break.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2019, 03:09 PM
Minnow

Agreed! I always appreciate your posts Jared. Nice to keep tabs on what’s going on in the area I fish. Thanks!
Old 06-11-2019, 06:11 PM
Keeper

Great report. I hear you on the north and east winds. The whole week we were up, right before Memorial Day, the wind was out of the east. It was weird. Made fishing a bit weird for a couple days, but then, of course, it turned on like a light switch. Total domination. Love it up in the Morson/Sabaskong Bay area!
Old 06-12-2019, 02:53 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskyman73 View Post
I like the fishing report Jared. But get those winds over and done with by the time we get there. Mother nature needs to give us a break.

I was just thinking... if it is this bad now, imagine how bad it will be when you guys get here! You always seem to pack extra wind!
Old 06-12-2019, 05:14 PM
Minnow

Nice report and makes me want to go back and fish Lake of the Woods.