Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Need a transom replaced - where to go? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 08-17-2018, 12:00 PM
Minnow

Default Need a transom replaced - where to go?

I've got a 2002 Pro-V with the wonderful rotten transom issue that has plagued many others...

I'm just SE of St Paul. Any suggestions on repair shops in the metro area, or south of the metro?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2018, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Perch,
The cheapest place to go is your garage. Pick up the materials and a case for your friends to consume after the transom has been replaced.

One long Saturday will have the job done and you will be sipping the suds in the evening.

-----------------
Just call around, there are a lot of places and or folks who can do it.
You can also check Craigs list. Often, in the services section there are talented folks who would do a great job on this for you.

Good luck
Old 08-17-2018, 02:47 PM
Wallhanger

Default Transom Repair

Perch, check your mail as I sent you a pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2018, 03:48 PM
Wallhanger

One longgggggg Saturday. As in 40ish hours. Nobody on your crew will have done one so you will be working blind even with You Tube videos. Yes you will save money.......assuming you do it right and you complete the job.

Anchor Marine In Delano and Shipwreck repair in Princeton and Georges on Hwy 65 in Bethel are shops you can get quotes from.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

I would second what Minnesota Guy says, Anchor Marine in Delano has Insurance Companies nationwide send boats to them as their work is second to none. Check out their website. www.anchormarinerepair.com/
Old 08-18-2018, 02:38 PM
Wallhanger

Default If you're the original owner

If you're the original owner I'd call Lund directly. I had the same problem with a Fisherman that was out of warranty and they cut me a deal. Believe me your never going to get that done in a couple of hours on a Saturday afternoon. You'll spend a month just getting the right materials for the job. Worst part is if you screw something up you'll wait for ever getting replacement parts.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:43 PM
Minnow

Had a good friend had his Lund transom replaced by Lund dealer in Algona, Iowa. That's North Central Iowa. Did a fantastic job, solid as a rock now, paint and finish looked factory.

"Algona Marine and Sport" family owned and great people, great reputation as a Fisherman's boat dealer. (515)-295-3501

I'd drive from St Paul to have it done right!! Probly 3hrs for you?
Ulterra 36 volt 112lb
Lowrance HDS-Carbon 12" Dash mount RAM 2.25" short mount
Lowrance HDS-III 12" Flush Dash mount
Lowrance HDS-III 12" Flush Bow mount
Lowrance Link Marine Radio
Lowrance Point-1 antenna
Lowrance 3D SS mounted on JackPlate w/ Transducer Shield saver
Airmar Chirp TM185 HW Wide Angle transducer
Smooth Moves Ultra on Barrel seats

Old 08-24-2018, 07:19 AM
Wallhanger

This is not a one day job.....Done right with wood it will take a week to coat and get board to fit. That not counting the time it takes to pull out old board (in one piece if possible) which will take more than a day by the time you peal back gunnels and cut access holes to get out bolts.

Calumet Marine did mine and I was there every step. It's not trivial. If your handy, it can be done, but not in a day.

If you want to cut some time off, buy a composite transom from Lund and use that. It will still take a few weekends if its just you and maybe one other person.

Dont underestimate it.

Here is what mine looked like before and after....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3865.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	303750   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4007.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	303752   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4017.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	303754  
Old 08-24-2018, 07:30 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicko View Post
This is not a one day job.....Done right with wood it will take a week to coat and get board to fit. That not counting the time it takes to pull out old board (in one piece if possible) which will take more than a day by the time you peal back gunnels and cut access holes to get out bolts.

Calumet Marine did mine and I was there every step. It's not trivial. If your handy, it can be done, but not in a day.

If you want to cut some time off, buy a composite transom from Lund and use that. It will still take a few weekends if its just you and maybe one other person.

Dont underestimate it.

Here is what mine looked like before and after....

My advice, for what it's worth, have a dealer look at it first. They will be able to tell you if there may be more serious underlying damage to either the exterior skin/aluminum or if the wood is simply rotted.

If the issue is more than wood and requires a new rear skin... then, for me at least... I would go back to the manufacturer, as they will have the expertise to remove rivets, etc... and replace with the new material, they will have a jig to hold things in place for re-riveting and can handle repainting....

Just my $.02
Old 11-10-2018, 07:37 AM
Keeper

dirty job done rite can be better than new