Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Recreational marijuana policy at fishing lodges - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 10-21-2018, 11:29 AM
Keeper

Default Recreational marijuana policy at fishing lodges

Have any lodge owners specified their policies for recreational marijuana in Canada?

Can you smoke or consume it with the same freedom as one does tobacco (assuming legal age, and staying in designated areas...and what are the designated areas? Can I light a joint on the dock at sunset)?

Is it forbidden on the boat even if you are not the one driving?

I imagine some lodges may be uncomfortable with pot. Are any planning on not allowing recreational marijuana use on their property?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2018, 07:18 PM
Wallhanger

Depends what province you are in. In Ontario it looks like you can toke anywhere you are allowed to smoke a cigarette. IN MB, the opposite, only in private on private property.
MinnKota Terrova 80/60/24 ipilot
Old 10-21-2018, 08:00 PM
Slot Fish

Weed became legal up here last week but nothing has really changed. It's not like the whole country is now one big, smoke filled party in the street or anything, lol.

I don't know about being a passenger and smoking in the boat, good question. I would guess they tend to treat boats the same as cars on the road so that would be a no no.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2018, 08:22 PM
Wallhanger

From a owner's point of view... this makes me nervous. We are a family resort. We will have a lot of kids running around during the summer months. I will be asking guests to be respectful, and seclusive with their usage. There is no smoking in the cabins, and from what I understand, you can't smoke it in a boat (just like alcohol).

I'm honestly trying to keep an open mind on the issue, and will only be addressing it in certain (blatant or obnoxious) circumstances.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:24 PM
Wallhanger

All that said, I would guess very little changes at the resort.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:57 AM
Wallhanger

Howdy,

I would think this would go over like a lead balloon with most guests. Considering the average age of most people I see in Canada is older and middle aged, I don't think a lot of guests will feel comfortable around it.

I'm probably the biggest liberal democrat you will ever meet, but even I would be upset if I saw my dock boy smoking pot on duty, or had someone light up anywhere near my daughter.

I will be curious to see how this goes over in camp this season.

Take care,

Ruddiger
Old 10-22-2018, 09:32 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruddiger View Post
Howdy,

I would think this would go over like a lead balloon with most guests. Considering the average age of most people I see in Canada is older and middle aged, I don't think a lot of guests will feel comfortable around it.

I'm probably the biggest liberal democrat you will ever meet, but even I would be upset if I saw my dock boy smoking pot on duty, or had someone light up anywhere near my daughter.

I will be curious to see how this goes over in camp this season.

Take care,

Ruddiger
Well the law of the land in Ontario is where ever you can smoke a cigarette, you can smoke a joint. So the dock is probably out, inside common buildings is out, the owner can insist is staff not be intoxicated at work, but after hours on his own time that dock kid provided he is of legal age can feel free to spark up.

Agree or not, it's the law in Canada so your choices would be come and be exposed including your daughter as long as the conditions above are abided by or stay home to fish.

Most Americans overestimate the economic impact they have when visiting the country.
MinnKota Terrova 80/60/24 ipilot
Old 10-22-2018, 10:08 AM
Slot Fish

For the people that don't like or don't agree with legalization, I wouldn't worry that it's going to detract from your fishing trip to Canada. I live basically in a suburb of Toronto, I have been out and about a lot lately and I have not seen 1 single joint being smoked in public since legalization.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:16 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinbns View Post
Well the law of the land in Ontario is where ever you can smoke a cigarette, you can smoke a joint. So the dock is probably out, inside common buildings is out, the owner can insist is staff not be intoxicated at work, but after hours on his own time that dock kid provided he is of legal age can feel free to spark up.

Agree or not, it's the law in Canada so your choices would be come and be exposed including your daughter as long as the conditions above are abided by or stay home to fish.

Most Americans overestimate the economic impact they have when visiting the country.
Howdy,

I don't dispute any of that, however, I do think the economic impact we have on the Ontario tourist industry, in so much as it applies to fishing camps, is significant. I see 100 Americans for every 1 Canadian in every camp I've visited in the past 25 years.

Obviously people are free to do as they wish in a free country, regardless of wether the freedoms differ. Look no further than the way guns are treated in the US compared to Canada.

That said, if I were a lodge owner I would be concerned with how this will play out with customers as they don't grow on trees.

Take care,

Ruddiger
Old 10-22-2018, 12:40 PM
Keeper

Default Joker, smoker, midnight toker

I think you will see less impact than say lowering the price beer. Our gang of 8
I am thinking we have one maybe two potential tokers. Yes, would nice to purchase a
fatty in Ontario and enjoy the loons, northern lights and owls sitting at the fire.
Most of us flying into camp are no longer party boys and have been discreet for years.